PDA

View Full Version : Subby rally car and my TI!

DustenT
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.180customs.net/img/BMW/subbyandti.jpg

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
where are they going? are they both yours? and is that your H2? :tongue:

barische
08-15-2005, 03:46 PM
where are they going? are they both yours? and is that your H2? :tongue:

damn, u are curious.

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
damn, u are curious.
yes, inquiring minds want to know! :biggrin:

last i remember, he was more of a poor college-age student ...

EDIT: btw, good to see you got the subby to block the bugs/road debris for your ti, hehe

DustenT
08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
The Subby is a rally car, owned by CPD Racing. We have a contract to do the body work for their cars. We were on our way to Minneapolis to drop it off, that's why there are no decals on the doors(we painted them). That Subby is unbelievable, it's a $150,000 car. I have a ton of pictures, but they don't want them posted til the seasons over.

One of our guys drove the H2 back with another car that needs paint, while me and another guy stayed with my car to go to a party in MN. :biggrin:

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
That Subby is unbelievable, it's a $150,000 car.
it damn well better be unbelievable for $150k!

speaking of cool, i saw a new lotus elise on the road the other day on our way to go mountain biking ... damn those are sweet little cars!

DustenT
08-15-2005, 07:38 PM
another pic:
http://www.180customs.net/img/BMW/subbyandti2.jpg

DustenT
08-15-2005, 07:40 PM

Done with school now, thank god! Just fortunate to have some good friends/connections!

stormos
08-15-2005, 09:04 PM
150k!! better off getting an evo 7 and shipping it to norris designs, their's is recorded at the fatest in the world at last check....

DustenT
08-15-2005, 09:16 PM
150k!! better off getting an evo 7 and shipping it to norris designs, their's is recorded at the fatest in the world at last check....

I believe all their cars are done by ProDrive in Europe. One of their guys came from ProDrive to support the team.

http://www.prodrive.com/defaultflash.asp?M=6

I'd love to post more pics of the cars, but that a big no-no. I got to see the fastest Group-N car in North America this weekend.

I never liked subbys until I started working on these cars, they really are amazing little vehicles.

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Done with school now, thank god! Just fortunate to have some good friends/connections!
always good to know people :)

question: since i know it's not an engine air intake on the roof, what the hell is that used for? air for the passenger compartment? :confused:

stormos
08-15-2005, 09:31 PM
its the new cost saving air conditioning system...... lose the compressor and have a painted carbon fibre roof scoop.....

DustenT
08-15-2005, 09:38 PM
always good to know people :)

question: since i know it's not an engine air intake on the roof, what the hell is that used for? air for the passenger compartment? :confused:

Yep, the scoop is a carbon fiber air inlet. It comes down into two round, adjustable/closeable vents that point at the driver and navigator. One of the Group-N cars has a fan (think small desk fan) mounted in between the seats. Other than that, no A/C. :eek:

GREX1969
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Rally cars are proper cars. Went to a Rally day at a race circuit here in the UK on the weekend - lots of classic Lancia's, Audi's, Peugeot etc. The funnest thing was seeing Galli drive the latest Mitsubishi Lancer WRC05 car and slamming it into the tyre wall. When he got back to the pits a Japanese man was looking not very happy especially as the engine started to catch fire - oops - I'll post pics as I've got a couple.

stormos
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM

and then he goes into computers??!?!?

i'd rather sketch gorgeous naked girls :)

DustenT
08-16-2005, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=stormos]and then he goes into computers??!?!?
QUOTE]

it's actually more networking (LAN/WAN) than computers, but it pays the bills quite well! BTW, stormos I got your email, just been too busy (with damn rally cars) to reply. I'll pm you right now.

stormos
08-16-2005, 04:55 PM
it's actually more networking (LAN/WAN) than computers, but it pays the bills quite well!

"pays the bills" i'd imagine there's more car part ones than anything else ;)

DustenT
08-16-2005, 05:24 PM
"pays the bills" i'd imagine there's more car part ones than anything else ;)

You are absolutely right, I can't believe the $$ I've shelled out since I got done with college. As it sits right now, I've got ~$10,000 into my car and that doesn't include the price of the car!!!

cali-ti
08-16-2005, 05:32 PM
You are absolutely right, I can't believe the $$ I've shelled out since I got done with college. As it sits right now, I've got ~$10,000 into my car and that doesn't include the price of the car!!!
weren't you the one asking if it made sense to put $6k more into a car that blue books for $6k? :tongue:

we all have to have our little hobbies, don't we? i personally have too many expensive ones already, but my girlfriend is getting me into even more!

ooooooo, DustenT, you are stormos's new PM target! :biggrin: let me guess, questions on the DASC install? lol

stormos
08-16-2005, 06:23 PM
ooooooo, DustenT, you are stormos's new PM target! :biggrin: let me guess, questions on the DASC install? lol

nah, questions on the US job market ;)

cali-ti
08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
oh ... looking to move? :biggrin: or just comparing to UK?

DustenT
08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
weren't you the one asking if it made sense to put $6k more into a car that blue books for $6k? :tongue:

we all have to have our little hobbies, don't we? i personally have too many expensive ones already, but my girlfriend is getting me into even more!

I know I will NEVER recover any $$ I stick into my car, it's a bad habit of mine. I love to piss away money!! My previous recommendations were based on common sense, not Dusten-sense! :biggrin:

GREX1969
08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Another Brit trying to escape. I'm looking to move over next year for a bit hopefully San Fran. I'm in IT and training to be a helicopter pilot so I thinking that might give me a bit more points on the entry visa?

GREX1969
08-16-2005, 07:56 PM
WRC05 Evo pics after the little accident

http://www.atrf08.dsl.pipex.com/Rally/Evo1.jpg

http://www.atrf08.dsl.pipex.com/Rally/Evo2.jpg

cali-ti
08-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Another Brit trying to escape. I'm looking to move over next year for a bit hopefully San Fran. I'm in IT and training to be a helicopter pilot so I thinking that might give me a bit more points on the entry visa?
can't hurt! seems quite a few people on the boards are in IT (i guess that shouldn't be surprising :tongue:).

thanks for the post of the pics too!

EDIT: he probably wouldn't have crashed if he'd had a THIRD wing on the back ...

stormos
08-16-2005, 08:47 PM
IT seems to be one of the few jobs which pays enough to enjoy life a bit more.... used to do accounts and was always cash strapped.

I'm not sure about the field work anymore though. it winds me up having short notice and being sent on jobs i have no idea about....

DustenT
08-16-2005, 10:20 PM
IT seems to be one of the few jobs which pays enough to enjoy life a bit more.... used to do accounts and was always cash strapped.

I'm not sure about the field work anymore though. it winds me up having short notice and being sent on jobs i have no idea about....

I recommend IT consulting, that's what I'm trying to get into. Or IT for a huge bank, that's what I'm doing now!

stormos
08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
reason i took my job...

i was going to be on the heldesk a month then out in the field with a CCIE for a month. so far: helpdesk doing sod all for first 2 months, then started on wireless for 2 weeks, then onto a big project to do an audit, sat on my ass for 2 months on that. now i am back on wireless???

no training, or anythin.... so! i am reading QoS and when i get that sorted i am going onto the ipt books :)

i just a normal 9-5 or similar. getting bored of the constant driving! even though i love the car :)

cali-ti
08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
i worked as a "field engineer" (ie, service tech) for many years so i know your pain! i also loved the "here go take this call on this printer you've never worked on before" type tickets. especially when it was a duplexing HP printer in which they'd used labels on the LEAST straight through paper path and they'd all peeled off inside so i had to disassemble the whole damn thing in their office (i had parts all over, in the order in which i'd removed them so i had a chance of actually getting it back together correctly, lol). then i signed on with a consulting company at which i did mac desktop support until they decided to phase those out. then i pushed to move over to the unix group (since mac os was going to be based on bsd unix anyway). that's what i've been doing since nov 99 (with NO prior knowledge of unix). still doing that, working for the same company in IL remotely from denver 3 weeks a month and onsite the other week.

stormos
08-17-2005, 06:27 PM
remote working.... what a dream... could work on or wash the car at lunch times ;)

cali-ti
08-17-2005, 06:40 PM
days like today are a little bit wonky. we were hit with whatever latest windoze worm is going around. right now i can't sign on to vpn so i'm making lunch and organizing my dvds :tongue:

stormos
08-17-2005, 07:15 PM
git! :) i need to move stateside, sweet weather, sweet cars, better quality of life..... apparently. i just hate my country with passion! :mad:

cali-ti
08-17-2005, 07:40 PM
git! :) i need to move stateside, sweet weather, sweet cars, better quality of life..... apparently. i just hate my country with passion! :mad:
lol ... weather depends on what you like and where you live. i listed my previous location (in WI/IL) as "hell" as i pretty much despised the weather most of the time. we don't get nearly as many brands of cars here as you do there (we FINALLY got the lotus elise after like 5 years!) and many of them are "different" than their euro counterparts so i'm not sure about "sweet cars." i haven't lived in the UK so i can't compare quality of life. i've heard australia is like the USA used to be (not so much bogus litigation, more common sense, etc).

stormos
08-17-2005, 08:02 PM
i'd get an evo if i lived there. cheap and fast :) and a ti for a daily drive of coarse.....

cali-ti
08-17-2005, 08:06 PM
still no access! time to make a latte with my new gaggia espresso maker. btw, i'm still in my pajamas too :biggrin:

stormos
08-17-2005, 08:08 PM
its 20:00 here. preparing ymself to have a go at my boss tomorrow. i want a car allowance and a idea of what my job is and when i will get training...