PDA

View Full Version : Check engine related to oil change LEDs?

Severian
08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey all, I attempted to reset the Oil Change LEDs numerous times using the ad-hoc method of connecting pins 7 and 19 with a wire/paper clip. Didn't work. Don't know why but it's fine, I can track mileage instead of using the (really nifty) lights until I bother to buy that special tool.

In the meantime the LEDs have progressed into the Yellow range with "Oil Service" showing when you start the car, then the lights go out as normal. But this morning the "Check Engine" light came on. Before I take it in, could this check engine light be due to the fact that the car thinks we didn't heed the Oil Service notice?

I'll probably have to take it in regardless, huh? Because I can't have the check engine light on all of the time...bummer...

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 05:14 PM
it shouldn't be on because of that. if you have a autozone near you, i believe they'll read the codes for free on OBDII cars. otherwise, bite the bullet and get the code reader/reset tool, you'll want it eventually anyway (i have an OBDII code reader, but not a bmw style reset tool, still need to get one).

Severian
08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Interesting...didn't know you could buy one of those. How much are they? Thanks for the help, cali-ti, you're always right on top of these responses!

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 05:48 PM
the "usual suspects" sell them: bmpdesign.com, bavauto.com. i'm sure they are available elsewhere too. they plug into the diag port under the hood (whereas the OBDII code reader i have plugs into the OBDII port under the dash). look for the code reader and service inspection reset tool. it's not FROM bmw, but works with bmw. it'll be around $125 (not cheap, but think how much money/time you'll save being able to check/reset those yourself and be able to stick to the proper maintenance schedule since it's not based strictly on mileage).

L84THSKY
08-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a oil/inspection reset tool from Peake. It's anyones for $40.00 plus shipping. It was used twice and is essentially new.

Interesting...didn't know you could buy one of those. How much are they? Thanks for the help, cali-ti, you're always right on top of these responses!

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 08:53 PM
I have a oil/inspection reset tool from Peake. It's anyones for $40.00 plus shipping. It was used twice and is essentially new.
that doesn't read the codes though right? just resets oil/inspection lights?

stormos
08-15-2005, 09:00 PM
it only does the resets. you want the R5-FCX

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BMWM/POR_BMWM_TOOLS1_pg1.htm

reminds me, i need to order one too!!!!

cali-ti
08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
i'm checking with bmpdesign on this one: http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/1775/category_id/16/search_year/1996/search_model/52

the previous 20-pin iteration for sure won't work on newer models. if the one above does work (OBDII connection is under the dash), then i'll get it. no dirt, no muss, no fuss! :biggrin: