View Full Version : stalling. constant.

Silver00spike
08-19-2005, 02:20 AM
I have a 1997 318ti. Parts from a 96m3.. engine,
tranny, driveshaft, frnt susp, LSD, instrument
cluster, radiator. Wiring harness under hood from m3,
under dash from 318ti.

Car wouldn't start because:

1. Guy at shop couldn't align EWS with his computer.
2. VAC tried unsuccessfully several times.
3. A non working ECU was bought from Active Autowerks,
and according to the shop, they checked the whole
electrical system up front to realise this.

Car started once a matching set of key, ignition lock,
ecu, and ews box was installed.

M3 cluster works partially. Speedometer didn't work
before, but after running the car 3 times, it works.
The temp gauge is not consistent, or accurate, neither
is the gas gauge. Tech doesn't work at all/

We had numerous problems with overheating, so an
electric fan was installed, along with m3 radiator,
new fan clutch, and water pump. Car no longer
overheats

Car runs fine when the shop "tests" it, but when i
drive it for about 10 minutes, it starts acting odd.
Either in gear, or in neutral, the RPMs sound and feel
like they're fluctuating. Then the car starts stalling
every 30 seconds or so, with hesitation to start
without pumping the gas. After this, when car is
allowed to idle, the idle is very slightly odd first,
then evens out well, and after 2 minutes or so it just
stalls.

schussey
08-22-2005, 08:23 AM
are you on bf.C as well? I think I remember reading a similar thread. Regardless, I don't know how to make it run. But I would love to see it running, therefore, here is a bump.

-chris

96cali
08-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Don't really know details but sounds like it's time to switch mechanics and get an expert. :frown:

I sympathise- no fun for you...

Silver00spike
08-22-2005, 07:40 PM
yeah, I have a big thread on BFC. My car is now at an "expert"

Dredder
08-23-2005, 05:49 AM
Their's a writeup on syncing your instrument cluster into your car. I just cant find it right now. The reason why your car is flactuating is becuase the ECU in not fully synch to your car and your Instrument cluster. I was in the same situation as you when I installed the 6cyl Ins.Cluster into my swap. I thought process was a bolton but remember the EWS is very sensitive. Once the shop use thier GT1 then everything sync and was running wonderful. Good luck. Hope your car runs soon.

Silver00spike
08-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Their's a writeup on syncing your instrument cluster into your car. I just cant find it right now. The reason why your car is flactuating is becuase the ECU in not fully synch to your car and your Instrument cluster. I was in the same situation as you when I installed the 6cyl Ins.Cluster into my swap. I thought process was a bolton but remember the EWS is very sensitive. Once the shop use thier GT1 then everything sync and was running wonderful. Good luck. Hope your car runs soon.
please please please find that writeup for me! I'm stranded

Dredder
08-24-2005, 12:17 AM
The write-up only covers the instrument cluster. I've tried searching for it with no avail. You need a dealer or a shop with GT1 or similar device. You need a way to sync your engine/ecu/body. I don’t know any other way to do it unless you don’t want some of your gauges to work

Silver00spike
08-24-2005, 01:12 AM
My ews is synced because I replaced the ignition lock, ecu, and ews box all from one complete car. If ews wasn't synced, it wouldn't run at all

I took it to a shop, VAC motorsports and they have the better scanners out there. They couldn't find the problem. Car stalls after even idling for 3 minutes :(

Dredder
08-24-2005, 07:22 PM
What device is the shop using to sync your car?
My ews is synced because I replaced the ignition lock, ecu, and ews box all from one complete car. If ews wasn't synced, it wouldn't run at all

Is your rpm/temp reading correctly? That was the guages not working on mine when i switch to 6cyl cluster prior to sync. I still remember the car hesitating like it would stop during idle. Remember my car run and turn over. Maybe youre experiencing something different. The path that solve my problem was when Mike (mechanic) use the GT1 diagnostic to sync everything, it took about 15 minutes and was good to go after that.

Silver00spike
08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I drove to the shop today. Good news is they found one culprit. A wire in the harness going to the ecu was cut. I suspect my old shop did this.

Reading codes now, showing misfires in cylinders 1-2-3-4 or something like that, and nothing else. Tech now works, along with the other gauges as far as I can tell. Judging by the exhaust, the car is also running very rich. Hopefully I just need some spark plugs or something!

Dredder
08-24-2005, 11:17 PM
congrats.....hopefully you enjoy your profound power. By the way, can you list exactly what was change on your swap? what are you doing for diff? and clutch/flywheel package

Silver00spike
08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
well, the shop is very busy, so I still don't know how much work is left to get it running.

Using m3 tranny, front suspension with brakes and steering, driveshaft. 3.23 LSD from an m-coupe but with a regular e30 cover. UUC stage 2 flywheel/ e34 m5 clutch kit made for 318, modified to fit m3

Dredder
08-27-2005, 12:22 AM
how did you guys tackle the lsd swap? was it i direct bolt-on

Silver00spike
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
how did you guys tackle the lsd swap? was it i direct bolt-on
The axel flanges had to be swapped out of my old differential, and the differential was a bolt on.