PDA

View Full Version : Why no new 4 banger?

impulse922
08-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Why doesnt bmw make a 4 banger anymore? I'm just curious being that fuel prices are hella expensive in europe why bmw doesn't make a 4 banger anymore, besides the mini coop

CirrusSR22
08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
They actually make many 4 cylinder cars. But, they're just not available in all countries. The USA being one of them :( I guess there just wasn't a market for them.

I personally wish they they'd sell the 120i and 120d in the US.

impulse922
08-24-2005, 11:47 PM
because my mom is look for a new car(im 15 will be driving in 6 months) she wants a volvo s60 but i dont like them being that i have to drive her old volvo unless i fork out my own money to buy one. And i was thinkkin if only bmw made a 4cyl that i would get tot go romp on it a little bit every now and then :biggrin:

1996 328ti
08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
BMW NA does not want to import 4 cylinders. It is part of their marketing. When some drives a 4 banger it really isn't a good representation of BMW. We all know better.

aceyx
08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
nor did we get any of the diesels. it's a shame, as i'd actually consider an x5 if it had the diesel motor (a la dakar).

i worked at the UN over the summer, and saw some 316i's, as well as a 525i in the garage. the entire "bigger is better" mentality can kiss my ass.

cali-ti
08-25-2005, 01:31 AM
the entire "bigger is better" mentality can kiss my ass.
are you sure you're an amurican? :raving:

bmwracerchick
08-25-2005, 05:02 AM
The only worthy bigger engines in america are the old American Muscles. I do agree with the fact that BMW doesnt want to bring bad representation because people see a 4 cylinder bmw as weak....I get crap all the time about my engine...and the whole trunk impaired thing gives them extra fuel to put down our cars. People forget that 4 cylinders was what started the 3 series.....but most people who buy BMWs now dont know anything about them or the history of the cars. I would love to have a 330 any day...but im only 19 so the cheaper insurance and great gas mileage gives me fuel to bash those who bash my car back in their face.

BTW: You should always pay partial for your car...you have a greater satisfaction over the car. Many kids when handed a nice car usually could care less and dont treat it very well. If that is the case where you are getting you car as a gift dont fall into that....BMWs never deserve such treatment....that and the cost to fix a poorly treated bmw will kill ya lol

impulse922
08-25-2005, 10:47 PM
People really bust on you for havng a 4cyl bmw?
Edit i have read on other sites how mini's are unrealiable truthfully are they?

nick_hegel
08-25-2005, 10:53 PM
People really bust on you for havng a 4cyl bmw?
Edit i have read on other sites how mini's are unrealiable truthfully are they? Usually it comes from those who drive inline-six bimmers. Then when they are finished mocking you they go piss and moan about gas prices! :wink:

impulse922
08-25-2005, 11:29 PM
What do the l6 get on 0-60 stock with automatic what would be the average?

John Firestone
08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
I do agree with the fact that BMW doesnt want to bring bad representation because people see a 4 cylinder bmw as weak....Or perhaps because they expose weak minded thinking. When the engine starts lugging or you find you can't pass that truck without consulting a calendar and your appointment book, that's a strong hint that YOU'RE IN THE WRONG GEAR.

Sorry. I just had to get that out of the system. On past performance, you can expect another outburst like that in, oh, about twelve years.

O.K., to some length and degree, automatic equipped cars can be in the wrong gear.

CirrusSR22
08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
It's sad that most automaker's solution to their problems is to just put a bigger engine in.

cali-ti
08-26-2005, 12:48 AM
The only worthy bigger engines in america are the old American Muscles. I do agree with the fact that BMW doesnt want to bring bad representation because people see a 4 cylinder bmw as weak....I get crap all the time about my engine...and the whole trunk impaired thing gives them extra fuel to put down our cars. People forget that 4 cylinders was what started the 3 series.....but most people who buy BMWs now dont know anything about them or the history of the cars. I would love to have a 330 any day...but im only 19 so the cheaper insurance and great gas mileage gives me fuel to bash those who bash my car back in their face.
the only worthy bigger engines in america are old american muscles? is that your opinion or what you think the general mindset of americans is?

i've never had anyone HONESTLY give me crap about owning a bmw, 4-cyl or not. it's always been in a joking manner. the only way i could agree with bmw NA's marketing decision not to bring 4-cylinders or diesels (good point aceyx) into the US is if they did it because of the general stupidity of the american car buying public (it's amazing they still have a straight 6! :tongue:).

cali-ti
08-26-2005, 12:50 AM
It's sad that most automaker's solution to their problems is to just put a bigger engine in.
that's the american way .... and yes, it is very, very, very sad :frown:

impulse922
08-26-2005, 02:37 AM
So true you couldnt have said it better. As an american myself it is true to say we are all for the bigger is better which i dont like because i cant stand driving big vehicles. Maybe because im 5'6" has something to do with it

aceyx
08-26-2005, 05:42 AM
i certainly can't blame them though; fuel is EXTREMELY cheap this side of the pond and just increasing the block is a much cheaper alternative than actual engineering--something US companies seem to fear. the exception is ford, who only puts down the cash on something like the GT40 where pride is involved. i'd bet you there would be no incentive for them to make that car were ferrari not around.

aside from that, i've found that the 4-banger has taught me to be a better driver by relying on the inertia and forward planning necessary to flick this thing around (cheers, John). additionally, this is the type of knowledge that "translates up," whereas knowing how to put your foot down, well, doesn't.

american muscle certainly gets my blood flowing, but only in a straight line just like the cars. i mean seriously, red-light dragracing gets really old. i prefer my Gs laterally, otherwise it's just a darwinian game of "let's find a way to remove ourself from the gene pool in the attempt to prove ourself better."

seriously, you can only go so many mph before it gets boring, but twisties will never get old.

i own a ZJ (jeep grand cherokee) as well, so i'm not opposed to the SUV thing, but it's a time and place issue to me. my jeep goes places the bimmer can't, and most people haven't even seen. i love getting muddy, but how are you going to do that with dub-deuces? honestly, "i bet you're a real sincere and stand-up guy when it comes down to it. not superficial at all, and treats the ladies well."

i player hate all the time, but only because they're jackasses.

to end my little diatribe here, i'll just say that i probably won't be purchasing any new model BMWs in the future (okay, maybe an M) but that mostly has to do with Bangle-butt and the fact that I hate the initial kick in the pills of buying anything new.

plus, the 3ers seem to gain about 300lbs/year. i don't find 10% an acceptable gain in my women, and i certainly don't find it acceptable in my cars.

CirrusSR22
08-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I don't blame them either. They need to stay competitve and provide better "numbers" than the other guy.

--------

Like many of you, I also feel that a great handling, great braking, great feeling, well-balanced car is FAR! more satisfying than just drag racing. The Lotus Elise is my dream car :)

Panzer_M
08-26-2005, 06:52 AM
the new 1 series in a 2.0 Four

and the e46 Ti and saloon came in a 4 cyl.

and remember the 2002turbo and e30 M3 were both 4 bangers and car that drove like your trousers were on fire.

not2fast
09-22-2005, 02:47 PM
I think BMW dropped 4 cylinders here because the cars are getting heavier and the output of their 4's are not going up. Seriously the 1.6L 115hp motor in the Mini is a joke and so is the 1.6L 160hp supercharged motor. Honda built 1.6l motors over 15 years ago that are NA and produced 160hp. BMW has not invested the money to make a motor that competes. How many more 318ti's would have BMW sold here if they would have had a 170hp motor in them like the GSR's did in the same year?

American's buy 4 cylinders. I have owned mostly 4's. My Volvo S40 had a 1.9L Turbo, VW GTI had a 1.8T, MR2 has a 2L Turbo, GSR had a 1.8L, and my Accord is a 4. Look at the Evo and Sti. Americans are not scared of fours if they perform.

Also enough with the displacement bashing. BMW does it just like everyone else. You can get the 325 or 330. Displacement is a good thing in many regards.