PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Sensor Warning Light won't turn off.

JPerfect
08-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I just got my front brakes done today by a local shop, and the brake pad sensor warning light is still on. Didn't touch the rear brakes, they have plenty of meat still left on them. Is there any trick for getting that dash light to turn off? By the way I love caca poo poo.

Thanks.

L84THSKY
08-30-2005, 12:54 AM
I think it should clear when the brakes are replaced. Did the mechanic do the job right?

I just got my front brakes done today by a local shop, and the brake pad sensor warning light is still on. Didn't touch the rear brakes, they have plenty of meat still left on them. Is there any trick for getting that dash light to turn off?

Thanks.

1996 328ti
08-30-2005, 02:45 AM
Sometimes it take a little while to clear. Just drive.
My mechanic replaced my sensor and then needed to clear the code afterwards.

Shaggy
08-30-2005, 02:47 AM
Well I believe you are supposed to change your brake pad wear sensor wire when you change your brake pads also. Although thats probably not your problem the mechanic probably forgot to do something while changing your brakes I don't know what. I've changed all my brake pads before and it never gave me any warning light. Sorry cant help you much cause brakes isn't my area of experties lol.

aceyx
08-30-2005, 03:43 PM
if your brake pad sensor came on before you changed the pads, it needs replaced.

if you pre-emptively changed them, there's no reason to have changed them. in this case, it will turn off on its own.

if it is still on after a hundred or so miles, take it back and have the code cleared. doesn't do any harm to leave it as long as you know you have enough stopping material.

JPerfect
09-02-2005, 06:07 PM
True, but that little red light pisses me off. It's been over a hundred miles, I'm going to go over to the dealership and talk to the guy who sells me all my parts.

bmwjen
05-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Please forgive me for posting in a thread that is 11 years old (yes,today I am THAT person...uggghh).......i wanted to stay on topic here.

My husband recently replaced both front & back pads and roters. He also replaced the 2pad sensors. (not the ABS sensor) My dash brake light and ABS lights are still on. I have an OBD2 code reader (it doesn't show me break fault codes). How can I turn off the dash lights? I've driven it approx 150 miles since replacing the brakes. I have a Bentley manual. Any help would be appreciated and if you want to reference pages in the manual that will help as well. Thank you in advance.
Jen

two30grain
05-27-2016, 06:31 PM
there is not really a reset in older BMW's. It just read an open circuit and if it does, sets off the light. When the circuit is closed, it turns the light off. somewhere the circuit is open, either its not plugged in tight or a wire or connector is broken somewhere if they are new sensors.