PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Belts

L84THSKY
09-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Just finished replacing both serpentine belts.....very easy job. Tools required are:

1. Breaker Bar
2. Ratchet with 13mm and 15 mm sockets

If you have ramps use them, if you don't ....get them!

I'm glad the Bentley manual shows how the belt goes on, cause remembering the way that belt goes around all those wheels ain't easy. The tensioner on the main belt makes everything easy.

The smaller (outer) belt requires poping off a plastic cover and loosening a bolt. I couldn't find anywhere stating a proper tension setting for the smaller belt, so I played it by ear.

Don't waste money having a shop do it, this is one job everyone can do, as easy as changing oil. :wink:

bmw318tiChic
09-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I've done that on my car and it is a very easy job.

L84THSKY
10-21-2005, 03:18 AM
I've been asked to send pictures of how the serpentine belt is installed. Here are pics from the Bentley Manual.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/SerpentineBelt.jpg

CirrusSR22
10-21-2005, 04:15 AM
I just did this a few days ago. It's pretty easy. :)

cali-ti
01-28-2006, 03:35 AM
what type/size driver do you need for the tensioner bolt (to release tension)? need this info ASAP please :)

L84THSKY
01-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Rear my first post. It was either 13mm or 15mm socket.

what type/size driver do you need for the tensioner bolt (to release tension)? need this info ASAP please :)

cali-ti
01-28-2006, 05:40 AM
hmmm ... mine must be different. the bolt head is round, with either a female hex or torx receptacle for releasing tension. is that what yours is like or something different?

Panzer_M
01-28-2006, 09:10 AM
I have 1 belt on the M42, not the 3 belts of the e30 318is

It's 10/95 production so do I use the 1.9 belt? I use the 1.9's oil filter.

cali-ti
01-28-2006, 02:40 PM
according to ETK for 10/95 production M42, you would need part # 11-28-1-247-986
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG53&mospid=47505&btnr=11_1389&hg=11&fg=18

bobrezaee
01-31-2006, 03:04 AM
hmmm ... mine must be different. the bolt head is round, with either a female hex or torx receptacle for releasing tension. is that what yours is like or something different?

Mine has the same thing. I cannot seem to get one of the tension loose. Anyone know what you use to release tension?

cali-ti
01-31-2006, 03:09 AM
i'll have a new one by around friday. freakin' $80 for a stripped bolt head (only available as the WHOLE tensioner assembly ... this blows a$$!). we'll see what design it is. when i have a spare, i may well disassemble that damn thing and see if i can find a hardened hex bolt to replace it with. the one that is currently mangled is less than a year old! dammit ...

bobrezaee
01-31-2006, 03:47 AM
i'll have a new one by around friday. freakin' $80 for a stripped bolt head (only available as the WHOLE tensioner assembly ... this blows a$$!). we'll see what design it is. when i have a spare, i may well disassemble that damn thing and see if i can find a hardened hex bolt to replace it with. the one that is currently mangled is less than a year old! dammit ...

So I need to buy a new tensioner assembly???

How did you get the old one out???

I am trying to change my water pump and I cant get that off.

cali-ti
01-31-2006, 04:02 AM
is your tension release bolt stripped? mine was/is partially stripped and i've got a screwdriver shoved into the hole to keep it in its fully released position right now. there appear to be two bolts (if memory serves, they are hex) to remove it. if you can wait until i get mine, i should be able to tell you exactly what type/size tool you need to remove it. i'm thinking it is/was a torx, but i'm not positive of the size (my guess is T50). looks like i need to find my good craftsman torx heads too. i used some buffalo brand i had handy and it appears it may have started to twist. ain't that special ...

remember, you need to turn is counter-clockwise to release tension. it's a left-hand threaded bolt so you're actually tightening it by turning it that way and it allows it to release tension on the belt.

if you've stripped it, i would use an extractor or something to get that bastard to turn so you can get the bolt off. if you're planning to replace the belt anyway, get something like a tin snips and cut it, but watch out for that tensioner (and the belt) when you do ...

the other thing i'm not sure about is if you can get to the two bolts for the tensioner if it's NOT in the position i described above (which is where i have mine now - in full tension release state - i think that might be the way it ships from BMW). i'll have more info on all this by (hopefully) friday.

i'll do a write up for the KB too then.

bobrezaee
02-01-2006, 01:10 AM
is your tension release bolt stripped? mine was/is partially stripped and i've got a screwdriver shoved into the hole to keep it in its fully released position right now. there appear to be two bolts (if memory serves, they are hex) to remove it. if you can wait until i get mine, i should be able to tell you exactly what type/size tool you need to remove it. i'm thinking it is/was a torx, but i'm not positive of the size (my guess is T50). looks like i need to find my good craftsman torx heads too. i used some buffalo brand i had handy and it appears it may have started to twist. ain't that special ...

remember, you need to turn is counter-clockwise to release tension. it's a left-hand threaded bolt so you're actually tightening it by turning it that way and it allows it to release tension on the belt.

if you've stripped it, i would use an extractor or something to get that bastard to turn so you can get the bolt off. if you're planning to replace the belt anyway, get something like a tin snips and cut it, but watch out for that tensioner (and the belt) when you do ...

the other thing i'm not sure about is if you can get to the two bolts for the tensioner if it's NOT in the position i described above (which is where i have mine now - in full tension release state - i think that might be the way it ships from BMW). i'll have more info on all this by (hopefully) friday.

i'll do a write up for the KB too then.

I was able to go out a buy a set from sears and everything worked out ok. The tention thing is striped but was able to get the belt back on. Its weird how everyone has different set up for these cars. I think we need to have a DIY for changing belts/water pump for the m44 or m42 engine. The one of pelican's website is for i6 engines and the directions are different which creates a problem when your trying to remove belts.
:biggrin:

cali-ti
02-01-2006, 01:36 AM
actually, it mentions both. unfortunately, i think bmw revised the damn tension release bolt from hex to whatever it is i mangled up :) i'll post pics when i get mine and can add an addendum to the KB article (which is currently just links). this is how i see we should handle "additional info" for the KB articles. if you come upon things that need revision or additional comments you'd like to see in any article, respond to the article and maybe PM the article owner, steven or me and we can mod up the original article post to add the info.

EDIT: if i can find a way to "rebuild" the tensioner (ie, put in a new bolt), i'll post that info too. spending $80 because a bolt stripped is ridiculous!

angel318ti
02-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Thats weird because mine has a 16mm bolt on the tensioner. the hardest part was routing that damn belt.

Boxy
08-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey, did that writeup ever get finished. My alternater belt broke today, so now its parked in a parking lot in a bad part of town. :[

So hopefully i can get it running by the morning.

Ironic thing is I bought new belts this morning :[

praveen.thomas
08-31-2006, 05:56 PM
how do i change the belts for the M44 engine. I am doing this for the first time so i want to be sure

Bluebimma
08-31-2006, 06:55 PM
When i changed my serpentine belt (m44) i didnt unbolt anything, just used a rachet and fitting socket, then turned the tensioner counter clock-wise and lifted the belt off the pullies. Installation was just the opposite and took like 5 mins to do.

marleymon
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
I have 1 belt on the M42, not the 3 belts of the e30 318is

It's 10/95 production so do I use the 1.9 belt? I use the 1.9's oil filter.

only a one belt set up on your m42?

Bluebimma
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
I only have one belt on my m44 as well. Runs the alternator and water pump. Removing A/c this weekend due to bad compressor and that ran on a different belt.

praveen.thomas
08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
so do i have to remove the AC belt first? how does one remove that. i was told that on emust change both belts

CirrusSR22
08-31-2006, 10:54 PM
so do i have to remove the AC belt first? how does one remove that. i was told that on emust change both belts

For the M44....

Yep, you can't get the serpentine belt off without first taking off the A/C belt. The A/C belt tensioner is purely machanical, meaning you set the tension, then tighten a bolt to hold that tension on the belt. The sepentine belt is automatically sprung for tightness.

Refer to this diagram for the A/C belt....
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG83&mospid=47506&btnr=11_3579&hg=11&fg=18

To get the A/C belt off, find the tensioner pully (#2) and pry the protective cap (#3) off the front with a flat blade screwdriver. The exposed bolt (#4) needs to be loosened. Once that bolt is loosened, the pully will flop loose and release tension on the belt. You can just the belt off. Super easy.

Before you go loosening anything though, get a good feel of how tight the belt is. You'll want to make it about that tight when you reinstall the belt.

You might as well put in a new A/C belt while you're at it. It's only $8.50 at PelicanParts.com. It's also a good idea to throw your old set of belts in the trunk, just in case one breaks on the road. You at least have a used one that'll get you back home.

Bluebimma
08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
As seen in the attached photos...you do have to remove the a/c belt first [mine is already taken off due to a bad compressor]. Theres a cap over the bolt you need to get to. Loosen the bolt and rotate the tensioner cc-wise i believe and it make slack in the belt. Take the belt off and youll access to the main serpentine belt.

Boxy
09-01-2006, 02:27 AM
As seen in the attached photos...you do have to remove the a/c belt first [mine is already taken off due to a bad compressor]. Theres a cap over the bolt you need to get to. Loosen the bolt and rotate the tensioner cc-wise i believe and it make slack in the belt. Take the belt off and youll access to the main serpentine belt.

Man your engine looks super clean. So yeah the water pump was busted too. The plastic propeller shattered in it shattered, and the ball bearings where the pully goes was nowheres to be found. So I got a new water pump for 74$ Both threads on the old one that push it out broke off as we tried to put screws in them so we ended up having to have it towed to the house and using a huge crowbar and a block of wood to get it out. After that it was just a matter of putting it back together and filling up the radiator (with water cause tahts all we had at the time). Oh and my dad used the water hose to spray the plastic bits out of the engine.

So then the next morning i took it to a garage to have them fill the radiator with antifreeze etc, it was up in the air running for 5 - 8 minutes (guy was checking for leaks) and a connector to a hose on the back of the engine busted and sent antifreeze and steam everyyyywhereeee. The guy like freaked out, and I was like man there goes my bimmer. :frown:

But luckly it was only a 16$ part.

So I was there from 11-5 and the guy only charged 50$ not counting the parts cause me and my dad drove to the dealership and got the parts. :cool:

I appreciate the pictures mang.

Bluebimma
09-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Man your engine looks super clean....

a connector to a hose on the back of the engine busted and sent antifreeze and steam everyyyywhereeee.

Thanks for the compliment.

I had that same connector hose break on the way to work one day and the next day i had to drive 300 miles to my grandmothers funeral. God, it took forever to get that done, pita too. Made it there in time though, so all was good.

Sounds like youre having good/bad luck with yours, best of luck to you.

Rick539
11-05-2006, 12:47 AM
I have the squeeky noise coming from my tensioner. Is there any articles on how to change it. I can't find anything about it in Bentley, only how to release the tensioner. Is there a tensioner kit that you can get that has all the needed parts? Beside replacing the belts, any other parts I should consider while I am down there.

J!m
11-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Just get a new tensioner. One bolt holds it on. Once you see the new part it will be clear. I just changed mine on the Land-Rover, as it was getting a bit noisy. If the bearings sieze, it will eat the belt (if it does not throw it).

Rick539
11-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Is the bolt that holds the tensioner on the same one you turn to release it? If so, do you take it off going clockwise (left hand threads)? The way I understand, to release the tension you actually tighten the bolt (counter-clockwise). It seems so damn confusing.

L84THSKY
11-06-2006, 12:55 AM
I think counter clockwise loosens the spring tension. After you feel the spring tension hit bottom, keep turning to loosen the bolt.

Is the bolt that holds the tensioner on the same one you turn to release it? If so, do you take it off going clockwise (left hand threads)? The way I understand, to release the tension you actually tighten the bolt (counter-clockwise). It seems so damn confusing.

Rick539
11-06-2006, 01:44 AM
are you sure. Post #13 of this thread mentions that going counter-clockwise is actually tightening the bolt. This is crazy being confused over which way one bolt turns, but better to be sure than to strip it and go thru all the hassle of removing it. By the way this is for a M44

L84THSKY
11-06-2006, 02:24 AM
If Cali-Ti said it is a left hand threaded bolt, then go with that. I never removed the tensioner; it seems he did.

are you sure. Post #13 of this thread mentions that going counter-clockwise is actually tightening the bolt. This is crazy being confused over which way one bolt turns, but better to be sure than to strip it and go thru all the hassle of removing it. By the way this is for a M44

L84THSKY
06-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Just changed my belts again.

Here it is again, since this seems to confuse everyone.

The tensioner for the A/C belt has a hex holding bolt on it. Turn the bolt counter-clockwise to loosen. This will swing the tensioner and loosen the belt. This tensioner is NOT spring loaded. To tighten the belt, you must apply pressure to the tensioner and then tighten the holding bolt clockwise.

As for the main belt, the spring loaded tensioner has a bolt to loosen the belt. This bolt is also used to remove the tensioner, which you DO NOT need to do to remove the belt. Rotate the bolt counter-clockwise to compress the tensioner, this will allow the removal of the belt.

To install new main belt, use the chart given previously, turn the bolt counter-clockwise again to compress the tensioner, and slip on the belt.

jmq318
07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
L84thsky, Thanks for posting your instructions on belt replacement.....the only hard part was figuring out how to put the serpentine belt back on because the Bentley pics/drawing wasn't for my '99....glad I didn't blow $160 for a shop to do a 5 min. job....

elchicano
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
This was easy to do. Took me like 5-10 minutes. I went to the dealer asked how much they said $150+. I'm happy i found this thread also let me say that the diagram that was provided doesn't match a m44. So it would be smart to draw out where the belt is placed before you take them off.

Mikel
02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I have a 95 ti and I tried to replace the belt a few days ago. I got the belt off fine by releasing the tension but as I was trying to put the new belt on, I couldn't get the tension to release again. I went and removed one of the pulleys and it seems like the tensioner either bent or popped out of place? :confused:

Now are the tensioners hydraulic or spring loaded? Will I be able to just put it back together or do I have to blow the cash and buy myself a new one?

I also got the gatorback belt which is suppose to be quieter but does it affect performance? anyone else have any experience with this belt?

spidertri
03-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Just FYI on the later M44's. My belt tensioner required a Torx T50 (I found out the hard way:rolleyes:) to rotate it counter clockwise. Whoever designed that is...well...dumb.:mad:

Sorry for the bump to the old thread, I figured this info was relevant to future searches though.

bbbmw
05-15-2009, 04:24 AM
I stripped the Torx bolt on my tensioner (the spring-loaded one), and had to buy a new one. I'm trying to install it now, but the power steering pump pulley is in the way - at least from what I can tell. Anyone have experience in changing this? I'm wondering if I should take off the power steering pulley, or loosen the unit and try to slip the tensioner out?

ofset
01-30-2012, 05:08 AM
This thread needs to be bumped. My '97 318ti (2/1997) uses a T50, and I've been craming a 6mm hex thinking that was the size. I think i stipped some of the teeth. Need to go to the store and buy a T50 now and hope I can release the tension on this pulley.

Im so surprised how little information there is on this....

Bimmer37
09-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Just changed my belts again.

Here it is again, since this seems to confuse everyone.

The tensioner for the A/C belt has a hex holding bolt on it. Turn the bolt counter-clockwise to loosen. This will swing the tensioner and loosen the belt. This tensioner is NOT spring loaded. To tighten the belt, you must apply pressure to the tensioner and then tighten the holding bolt clockwise.

As for the main belt, the spring loaded tensioner has a bolt to loosen the belt. This bolt is also used to remove the tensioner, which you DO NOT need to do to remove the belt. Rotate the bolt counter-clockwise to compress the tensioner, this will allow the removal of the belt.

To install new main belt, use the chart given previously, turn the bolt counter-clockwise again to compress the tensioner, and slip on the belt.

Thanks