PDA

View Full Version : Green Diamond Tires? Winter tire recommendations.

DustenT
09-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm starting to get the cars ready to winter, I know it's early, but I want to be prepared...

Last year I had Blizzak WS-50s. They were awesome. Unfortunately my love for spinning tires on pavement caused my rear tires to be almost completely shot. I plan on running the Blizzaks in front, but I'm wondering if there is something better for the rear. These Green Diamond Tires look nice, and they are rated higher than the Blizzaks, anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.greendiamondtire.com

I need a dedicated winter tire, as we get snow storms with 6+" on a regular basic and they aren't real quick to plow the roads. Suggestions?

Clegg
10-05-2005, 04:28 AM
I used to ice race with a subaru WRX that had the Green Diamond tires. Not bad, better than normal studdless on glare ice, but no better on snow pack.

But then again I sunk the WRX in a lake ice racing... so what do I know :) hehe AWD != ability to float :) hehe

Hmm your car looks familiar, pm

aceyx
10-05-2005, 05:09 AM
the green diamonds look better for ice than anything. if you're getting 6+, i imagine it's powder(?)

the tire i've heard the most about as being the best snow tire is the hakkapeliitta.

i've run the blizzaks and found they wore down too quickly (two winter season), and after had a set of arctic alpins that were great until they got stolen. michelin updated their line, and i definitely think they went backwards with the engineering.

Clegg
10-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Hakka's are some of the best snow tires you can get. really Nokian stud/studless tires are the best all around I think. the ones with screw in studs or with the sub surface studs.

I had a set of Dunlop Wintersport M2's befoer my Green Diamond's I used for ice racing and they were ok on snow and ice, but not as good as teh green diamond's.

on my Focus now I have some Dunlop Graspic DS2's which are fine in powder, but lousy on dry pavement... Dunlop Wintersport M3's are the best handle'n snow tire you can get I think, but at the cost of some of the extreme traction in snow.