PDA

View Full Version : F&R Brakes & Rotors

bella2179
09-24-2005, 04:13 AM
Well my ti has finally hit 100k, and now time for some general repairs. How do these prices sound for front and rear brakes and rotors:
F - $410, R - $360.00
Actually got 100k out of the rear! Will be 2nd set for the front. Just want to make sure the estimate is in the right range for Virginia area. Thank you for the input.

Also $140 for drive belts and power steering hose - $130.

Lucky me $1000 bill.

1996 328ti
09-24-2005, 04:30 AM
Brakes and rotors are very easy DIY jobs. They require minimal tools.
You can do it yourself for less than hald that.

cali-ti
09-24-2005, 04:49 AM
ditto what steven said. you could buy a host of tools for that and start doing stuff yourself. pads and rotors are some of the easiest stuff you can do.

Panzer_M
09-24-2005, 06:06 AM
dead god no

for those prices NO

you can find 32x brakes for the front for those number so easy..., my calipers cost me 40$ for the set(95 325 from a BMW yard in Cali), FT/RR Brembo Sports 250$ for all four and Axxis pads were 99$ for the set

install. very very basic, 1st time should take you 4 hours, which gives you time to figure out how everything works and such.

you might also want to change your fluids and get a bleeder from BavAuto while your at it, got mine from them, and it's a handy little thing.

bella2179
09-24-2005, 09:42 PM
thanks for the input...but i have no tools and wouldn't know where to start. i am pretty handy for a "girl" but not w/brakes. i am almost metal to metal on the rears. what is a resonable amount to pay?

Any suggestions for auto repair in Richmond, VA?

I usually go to Import Autohaus (good rep) but yes the estimate seems a bit high.

1996 328ti
09-24-2005, 09:56 PM
You don't want to go to metal to metal, but do you need rotors?
I passed through Richmond today from Greensboro to DC.
You should get involved with your local BMW CCA chapter.
I'm sure there are people that would help you out for a few beers and pizza.

aceyx
09-24-2005, 10:05 PM
what's this "girl" stuff? you're a girl or you're not. no crying game business please.

i second steven's suggestion. BMW CCA has a database of people who are willing to help other members. you could also try the other bmw forums to see who's willing to help.

and guys are stupid. we'll help you for free and enjoy it, especially if you're willing to learn how to turn a wrench.

Panzer_M
09-24-2005, 10:31 PM
ya

i did a window fix on a girl's Ti during summerblaze.

would have done it anyways, but yea girl = leverage over guys esp girl BMW owners.

96cali
09-25-2005, 05:22 AM
what's this "girl" stuff? you're a girl or you're not. no crying game business please.

LOL! I can see it now... "hey hand me that wrench... wait.. what's that in my hand?? ARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!" :eek:

I am sure you are a catch Bella- no offense intended. :biggrin: How about your dad or guys at work? You can get a Haynes or Bently manual from the library or maybe try www.unofficialbmw.com .

bella2179
09-25-2005, 03:54 PM
haha, yes i may be a girl, but i am extremly handy and since this being the 1st time i would attempt a brake/rotor replacement and have no tools, i am a little standoff-ish about the whole thing. i was just looking some advice and what is considered a fair price for rotors and brakes.

and yes i know what a wrench is! and if there was someone in richmond willing to help me out, i am willing to learn. but i at the point w/ the rears, that i don't want to look like the jet blue plane heading down the road.

also is it 100% necessary to replace rotors when replacing pads? my understanding it's bmw design..

1996 328ti
09-25-2005, 04:15 PM
It is not 100% necessary to replace your rotors when replacing pads.
Many shops like to do it because there is less of a chance of someone coming back with a problem. You might have buildups on the rotor and with new pads you may get a slight shimmy under braking. I really can't fault a shop for replacing them in sets.

I don't know what the book rate for labor is on pads and rotors.
If I had a lift I can probably replace (4) brakes and rotors in 1 1/2 hrs if no one is talking to me.

Figure front rotors are going to run $75 each (less if your car is built before 4/98)
Rear rotors, $60 each.
So right there you are looking at $270 for rotors.
Pads may list for $170.
Figure 2 hours at $75/hr. $150.00
So I'd expect to pay around $600 at a dealer or shop.
So I think it's a bit pricey.

bella2179
09-25-2005, 09:52 PM
thank you for taking the time and itemizing prices for me. i really appreciate your effort. yes i think almost $800 for front and rear is a bit much. i knew it was about time for rear replacement, but was not expecting both! was a little shocked, went in for an oil change and came out w/ a $1000 estimate.