PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with uneven wheel gap (and how to get rid of it?)

maxt
09-25-2005, 10:46 PM
I come from the world of older VWs where uneven wheel gap comes with the territory. I am noticing more and more that my TI doesnt sit right compared to other TIs out there.

With the mileage (140,000) & age (1997) of the car, I guess its to be expected that the stock suspension start to sag. The ride is comfortable and Im not seeing any signs that the shocks are blown in any way.

Anyways I figured I'd post up a few shots and let the people that know more about BMW's suspension design educate me as to the suspension set up, why the gap is so big in the front of the car vs. the rear, and if what im experiencing with my car is normal. Im assuming that the rear springs and shocks are tired and used to sit higher, and that a good set of springs would bring the back up a little. Really, what im looking for is a nice even 1"-2" of wheel gap on the front and back.

http://thump.net/2285538/ti/1.jpg

http://thump.net/2285538/ti/2.jpg

http://thump.net/2285538/ti/3.jpg

http://thump.net/2285538/ti/4.jpg

1996 328ti
09-25-2005, 10:58 PM
The left side is normally higher without anyone sitting in the car.
Once you sit in the car it should be closer. If not then maybe there is a problem.
But many people have asked the same question.

aceyx
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
push down (forcefully) on the rear corner of your car; it should rebound without "bouncing." if so, your shocks or springs are worn (likely the shocks).

mine go about every 65k or so, but i load it down more than the average driver. when i pulled them, i could compress them by hand. they were not blown (leaking oil) in any way.

FYI, boge and bilstein's have lifetime warranties. also, it is a good time to replace upper shock mounts, as they're known to crack.

maxt
09-25-2005, 11:04 PM
thanks for the responses.

the left side sits a tad higher but the disparity between front and rear is still very much in your face. shocks behave as they should if they were new, no bounce - i've had cars with bad shocks and i know the bounce your referring to... the ride feels "tight" on the road.. Im not opposed to getting a set of Eibach sport springs and koni's, but i'd like to know if I dump money into a set of those, will it still sit funny?

weezer
09-26-2005, 12:42 AM
I have adjustable Konis up front and KYB gas-adjust in the rears with H&R sport springs. If you haven't had a car with sport suspensions, you will feel a considerable difference in the ride quality. Also, sport springs will lower your car more than you'd expect, even when the manufacturer says it will only lower your car by 1.2-1.4", you will have barely 1" of fender gap in the end, depending on the wheel size. Bavauto sells a street quality sport spring that claims less than 1" drop, and can re-use your stock shocks, but I would replace them all while you're at it, including mounts (front and rear). Expect to pay between $600-900 for the whole set (shocks and springs) plus $300-350 in labor. Make sure you get the right shocks the first time; do sme research, otherwise you'll regret in the end and pay more. Like I did.
Bavauto, Benfer performoance sells shocks and springs sets for less than $800, but they tend to be geared for track use.
Good luck!!

L84THSKY
09-26-2005, 01:44 AM
It looks exactly like mine. My shocks and springs are fine, only 50K on the car. I bought a set of lowering caps that are intended to drop the front about an inch. I haven't put them in yet. Scary how close our two cars look...... :eek:

I come from the world of older VWs where uneven wheel gap comes with the territory. I am noticing more and more that my TI doesnt sit right compared to other TIs out there.

With the mileage (140,000) & age (1997) of the car, I guess its to be expected that the stock suspension start to sag. The ride is comfortable and Im not seeing any signs that the shocks are blown in any way.

Anyways I figured I'd post up a few shots and let the people that know more about BMW's suspension design educate me as to the suspension set up, why the gap is so big in the front of the car vs. the rear, and if what im experiencing with my car is normal. Im assuming that the rear springs and shocks are tired and used to sit higher, and that a good set of springs would bring the back up a little. Really, what im looking for is a nice even 1"-2" of wheel gap on the front and back.

http://thump.net/2285538/ti/1.jpg

maxt
09-26-2005, 03:02 AM
hehe no kidding eh!

nice ride, is yours Boston green too? the small pic in your sig makes it looks like it has a little more gray in it. What lowering caps did you get, and where can i get them?

edit: i actually read your sig, looks like you have ascot green. nice color :rockon:

L84THSKY
09-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Here is the website

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=CTGY&Category_Code=blssuspension

hehe no kidding eh!

nice ride, is yours Boston green too? the small pic in your sig makes it looks like it has a little more gray in it. What lowering caps did you get, and where can i get them?

edit: i actually read your sig, looks like you have ascot green. nice color :rockon:

Tman100z
10-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Im new to this, so the best solution is to lower the front end to match the rear. My rear tires seem to lean in when looking at the car from the rear so wouldnt raising the rear a little cause them to lean back out

cali-ti
10-01-2005, 04:27 AM
yes, it would, not that it would necessarily be a good thing. how does your current alignment match with stock specs for your car? bmw has done a very good job of designing the car the way it should be. personally, i've never seen a stock ti or mod'd one that had even spacing, i don't believe it was designed to be.

96cali
10-03-2005, 04:16 AM
bmw has done a very good job of designing the car the way it should be. personally, i've never seen a stock ti or mod'd one that had even spacing, i don't believe it was designed to be.

Maxt- this is the design of the car seriously. The rear skirt sits lower than the front. Lowering springs typically lower the front about .5" more than the rear perhaps to even this out. If you are running 17" wheels the low profile tires accentuate the wheel gap. Slap some 15's on there and you'll hardly notice it anymore! :wink: