PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge and the Engine heat not working!

drkblu318ti
09-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I got im my car today after school at 1:30. I get in my car and start to drive off. Then i notice after driving about 100 feet that my fuel guage has gone down past empty and the freaking light is on (that morning on my way to school I had 3/4 of a tank. And the Engine heater gauge has gradually moved all the way up to SMOKING HOT!. My car sounds normal runs normal, but never the less i am worried. So i pull over, turn it off once and try agian. Sure enough the gas is at empty, and the heat is all the way up. SO i call my mechanic and i ask him what he thinks and whether or not it woudl be fine to drive down the road to the shop. So i do. and i get there and i talk to the guy, I show him the gas, but this time the heat gauge didnt move. So we go inside and chat. He says that it might be "Formation of a non conducting deposit on he conductor surface of the fuel level sensor. So he says that i would have to replace the senosors with "Cold system" Sensons. He figues about 176 for right side pump/sensor and about 47 for left side. and about 195 for labor. all in all about 400. SO im not doing that right now since i am in high shcool and get paid 7.5 an hour. SO then the question about the heater gauge. He says may just be speratic, so i go off thinking about how much i would have to pay, and decdie ill use my trip meter to guess my gas level. So i get back in my car and start to drive home. The heat gauge moves up a little bit then dips back down below the blue section. And the whole drive home about 10-15 minutes it doest move at all. ( i fugure i sohudl drive a little more after i write this) But then i notice that the little screen where the time is, is not on, I can get the time to show up if i hit the clock symbol but nothing esle works even if i try and cahnge it. Getting even more annoyed now, not knowing what is wrong. So decided that i woudl tell yo uabout what i bought the car with electricaly ( incase it helps to know if maybe its fatly installation or wiring);

I have a Pioneer head unit
2 Pioneer 6x9s in the trunk lid.
Sound stream Rubicon 404 Amp
A lightning cap 1.0
A gold cap lightning Box

I would really appreciate the help, Cuz i love this car and my mom woudl kill me if there is somethings seriously wrong with thte car.

classicronnie
03-20-2008, 11:39 PM
has anyone fixed this i got the same problem

wacker78
08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
even though this is a old thread I notice there were no replies as I had the same problem with my fuel guage showing empty , the temperature guage showing hot and my clock not working to adjustment, on my 1998 318ti. After checking all relevant fuses even though none appeared to be blown I replaced the fuses for the clock, as these were also common to the instrument cluster and everything else was fixed.