PDA

View Full Version : Swap newbie - used the 'search' feature already

McFly
10-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi folks - I'm buying a 318ti within the next week or two I hope. I have about $12,000 cash for this project, about $4,000 of which is going to get me a stock ti.

I have several questions about the motors specifically, and some terminology. I come from the land of Jeeps, so BMWs are fairly new to me.

What is the difference between an M50, an M52, S50, and S52 engine?
Which ones are the 2.8L, 3.0L, the 3.2L, the M3 engines, etc?
Which of these is possible to put in the 318ti?
The 330Ci engine is an E46, and not elligble to go into the 318ti, correct?

I like the M3 dash and the 330Ci dash for sure. Looks awesome.

What is a DME?
What is an EWS? Name for the BMW computer?

From what I read, I'd need of course the M3 engine, transmission, computer and wiring harness, dash (or gauge cluster), driveshaft, M Coupe rear axle, and M3 or M Coupe suspension parts.

Also Dredder said an 80 degree thermostat is a must to prevent the engine from overheating.

I've read a scary story on bf.c about someone that ended up spending nearly $12k. I think he's on here too - has a "00" in the middle of his name. Silver00 something.

Anywho, that's what I'm most afraid of - spending a bazillion dollars in labor. I'd like to do the swap for $8k including labor. At most.

Here's just a rough guess of expenses (being a non-BMW owner, non-swap owner, y'all can definately help me out here).

Used engine from www.bavengine.com - $2700
Used transmission - $1000?
Wiring harness, computer, gauge cluster - $500 to $1000? (junkyard find maybe?)
Full exhaust from header-back - $1000?
Labor - $2000?
_____
$7500-$8000.

So it's almost 3am here in Indiana, and maybe I'm just rambling... but honestly I'm so excited thinking about getting a 318ti with an M3 engine, I find it hard to sleep. Not sure where this thread is going but...

Discuss! ;)

Dredder
10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
for 12g you can get yourself a used e36 M3. If you dont have the Ti already dont buy one just to do the swap.

McFly
10-01-2005, 01:40 PM
LOL - I expected this to some degree - but not from you.

From another thread - http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6506 :

For me buying a 318ti was a personal preference not a financial choice.
And regarding the 6-cylinder swap...
The best investment for my car so far.
and
Well duh.....checkout the Honda scene guys. People spend $$$ to upgrade their cars. Why, because they want to.

Bottom line is - I WANT a 318ti with a 6-cylinder engines. Like everyone else who swapped the 6 in their 318ti. I don't want an M3. I want a 318ti for the insurance, for the smaller size, the sleeper effect, and I honestly like the looks of them.

Edit: Not trying to be rude, just showing you that I have read and done some research - I'm not a 16 yr old kid that just signed up and wants a tuner car. I hate ricers - I want a European sleeper. Just using your words regarding the swap, not sure why you'd try to turn me off of it.

Dredder
10-02-2005, 08:09 AM
LOL - I expected this to some degree - but not from youI will always support what i have done to my TI. I wouldn't trade if for anything. In the end its all about personal choices I guess.
To begin with, I already had a TI. I knew exactly what was wrong with the car since I have had it since 5 miles its birth. I've done all but the first inspection service. You are starting off with a used TI. You really wouldnt know what the history of the car is to start with.
Dont think I'm trying to discourage you from doing anything you like but i would like you to first way out your option before doing something you might regret doing. Not everyone in this forum got the same deal as I did, just ask silver00Spike how much money he spent figuring what was wrong with his car. My suggection to you is know exactly what needs to be done. The TI you're buying shouldnt be a beater where in the long run you're going to spend more money trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

McFly
10-02-2005, 09:51 PM
You are starting off with a used TI. You really wouldnt know what the history of the car is to start with.
The TI you're buying shouldnt be a beater where in the long run you're going to spend more money trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

Would you recommend me just finding a nice 318ti "Sport" package for now... doing all the little mods and stuff I'd like such as wheels, snow tires, stereo, brakes, light tint, and stuff. And THEN see how I'm sitting $$$ wise? I agree with you about buying a used ti where I could have unknown problems, it might not be ready for a swap just yet. I could just have a nice stock ti to use as a winter project, doing all my usual little mods like upgrading the battery/alternator, suspension, shocks, etc. Then maybe in the Spring see how I like it and see if swapping a 6-cylinder at that point is an option for me? I'm still very open-minded about this - seeing as how I haven't chosen the right ti for me just yet.

Dredder
10-03-2005, 12:02 AM
I agree with you about buying a used ti where I could have unknown problems, it might not be ready for a swap just yet.....I'm still very open-minded about this - seeing as how I haven't chosen the right ti for me just yet
Finding the right Ti would be your best bet. Once you have it, you can evaluate exactly what needs to be done. My swap was cheaper than the average cause I felt that some of the component I reused was in perfect shape. The fluids I used from birth were synthetic so thier were little wear to the components. Dont just buy a beater TI. You will end up trying to replace everything to accomodate the M3 engine. I spent just a little over $6k for the entire swap done by a professional shop. If you search around this forum, average poeple are spending over 10K just for the swap not including the car.
Good luck..

96cali
10-03-2005, 03:43 AM
If you are still talking the 1997 cali roof with 86k, it did not seem like a beater. These are pretty robust little cars that share a lot of history and components with the rest of the bimmer lineup. The M44 engine in your 97 is the same basic engine used 15 years prior and continuously improved. The rear end is shared by e30's ('86-'91?) and Z3's. Do the obvious homework and chances are you'll be OK. Since you have not owned it from day 1 what are you gonna do? Give up your desires and lease a Civic? :rolleyes:

Now to answer your questions:
(Caveat: I have more memory than experience so I will keep things broad. Let a real wrench fill in the greasy details.)

M50= OBD I 2.5L ('95 and prior)
S50= OBD I 3.0L ('95 M3)
M52= OBD II 2.8L ('96-'99)
S52= OBD II 3.2L (M3 '96-'99)

They all will physically fit the ti since the Ti shares the same front end with other e36's 3xx and M3's. Your '97 will be an OBD II M44 1.9L engine. Most people will stay OBD II which means you need an S52 or M52. An OBD I -> OBD I swap is a little easier electronically but not enough to stop an OBD II swap from happening.

Swapping the dash or motor from an e46 (2000+) is regarded as near impossible- you'd be breaking new ground.

Swapping the dash is difficult and I can think of only 2 or 3 people who have done it. Getting the on board computer to function fully is especially problematic.

If you care to have it done by a top notch pro Brett Anderson at www.koalamotorsports.com is in Cleveland and nationally/internationally known. He lists prices for this swap on his website.

aceyx
10-03-2005, 05:02 AM
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/ is the address.

and info on the motor variations can be found at http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/codes/engines.htm

DME = ECU, which is all part of the ECM.
EWS = immobilization system (coded key). i believe, and could be wrong, but any EWS can be coded to an ECM/ECU.

Dredder
10-03-2005, 05:53 AM
If you are still talking the 1997 cali roof with 86k, it did not seem like a beater. I dont hink he has the TI yet. I believe from his statement he is still looking for one
Hi folks - I'm buying a 318ti within the next week or two I hope. I have about $12,000 cash for this project, about $4,000 of which is going to get me a stock ti.

96cali
10-03-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/ is the address.

Sorry I was liberal with the s! :wink:

I dont hink he has the TI yet. I believe from his statement he is still looking for one.

True he has not bought it but this is the Ti he was looking at:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7102

Silver00spike
11-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Finding an allready completed 332 or 330ti would be your ideal answer

Dredder
11-09-2005, 01:55 AM
ill sell you mine....

just kiddin