PDA

View Full Version : Response on TI I am looking at.

mele
10-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here, but hope to not stay that way.

I have been reading as much as I can on this site on these unique little cars, mainly because I am seriously looking at one. Here are the specs:

1997 318TI. 5sp 93K miles. Looks to be pretty much a plain jane base TI, no sport package, cloth interior, wheel covers, etc. The color is white and the condition "appears" to be very nice. No visible dents, tears, rust, etc. There is one visual scratch about 1" long in the clear coat (not down to metal). Car runs very well and everything works. The asking price is $6900, and he has said he would take $6500. I may be able to get it a little less.

Questions: The blue book (kbb.com, edmunds) is less than this, but looking at this site and others, the $6900 seems like a good price. What is the consensus? Is this a fair price for a good condition TI with 93k?

I will be using the car for a daily driver, though the commute is short, usually not more than 60-75 miles a week, but mainly in town driving. The reliability, according to threads here, seems to be very good. The car would be replacing a 95 neon sport coupe, which frankly, has been a pretty good little car, though certainly nothing to compare to a car like the TI.

The car would be driven in the snow, which doesn't seem to be an issue with traction control and possibly a little weight in the trunk. But, there may be times when the car is parked in the snow, outside the garage. Does anyone make an allweather fitted car cover for the TI? (Suppose I can check california carcovers whom I've had good success with). Are there other winter concerns I should be aware of?

any information on the TI in general, and about this particular car would be appreciated. I am ready to pull the trigger once I get the insurance quote from our carrier.

thank you

MEL

PettitWC
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
In response to some of your questions:
In terms of the price, it sounds pretty good to me. The blue book seems to be lower than the market price for ti's.
I actually used my sister's '95 neon sedan before I got my ti and I can tell you it's a world of difference, not that the Neon wasn't a good little car.
I have drivien mine a lot in the snow and have had no problems. Just take off the traction control because it keeps you from accelerating some of the times because it senses slipping.
About the car cover, I got a used factory cover (off this forum I think) and I use that year round and it work's perfectly.

Good Luck, Chris

Tyler
10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
That seems to be a reasonable price,depending on the interior/exterior condition. You said it had one scratch on it,so i think thats a decent deal. I drive my car year round,put alot more miles on a week than you will be. It drives decent in the snow,i have all season tires but will be buying winter tires/rims probally from tirerack.com this year.(makes sense with all my driving i do a week) You can buy custom car covers but they are way too overproced. My dad bought me one last year from Pep Boys i think,he said it wasn't cheap and it fits the car perfect. Has the pockets for the mirrors and the only thing you need to take off and on is the rear antenna. I will tell you the name of it when i get home.

I think you'll enjoy driving this car it is fun to drive and it looks really neat for a small car. Has a decent amount of space inside,u can fit 4 comfortably.

If you have any other ?'s go ahead and ask. ALSO use the search button and you'll find alot of useful info on there.

nick_hegel
10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
$6900 seems decent. I spent more for mine and had 115k on odo. I got a nice car cover from Bav auto that fits perfect (even has a hole for the antenna i think!).

Welcome! :biggrin:

mele
10-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments so far.

The car is in really nice shape, better than just about any other car I've seen with 90k+ miles on it.

I've been using the search quite a bit on this site and have answered nearly all my questions.

One thing I did forget to ask. I do wish the car had the sport package (M package i've heard it also called) but it doesn't. How is the handling on the base TI's? I enjoy a good handling car and it ranks high on my priority list. The neon I do have has the sport suspension with front and rear sway bars and stiffer springs and it handles very well. I do prefer rear wheel drive, and am familiar with its handling traits, but does the base TI handle well? Does it have a rear sway bar? (I can't imagine a BMW not having a front sway bar). I did not have the opportunity to REALLY test drive it to find out its handling capability.

MEL

aceyx
10-03-2005, 09:03 PM
mel; where in the country are you? there might be a member close by willing to show you this little hatchback's capabilities.

i showed mcfly my ti (he's also in the market for one) and he was amazed how it handles in the bone stock form.

PettitWC
10-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I have an active suspension with lowering springs on mine but even before i had the springs it handled like a dream.

mele
10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm located in western montana.... not exactly a highly populated area! But if there is anyone nearby (perhaps eastern washington?) I would appreciate a demonstration!

MEL

96cali
10-03-2005, 09:12 PM
NOt sure which Neon package you have but the base Ti does handle well. You could pick up the stock 16" alloys which will improve the handling a lot with 225 series tires. Yes the M series handles better but the base Ti is probably better than 90% of front wheel drive cars out there.

aceyx
10-03-2005, 09:14 PM
closest one i'm seeing is billings, mt but not everybody has their location filled in. start a thread here (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66); you just might get a response.

or you could arrange for the owner to take you on a drive. i'm not real quick today.

mele
10-03-2005, 10:40 PM
NOt sure which Neon package you have but the base Ti does handle well. You could pick up the stock 16" alloys which will improve the handling a lot with 225 series tires. Yes the M series handles better but the base Ti is probably better than 90% of front wheel drive cars out there.

I have a 95 Sport Coupe which was only available in 95 & 96, it is exactly the same as the 98 & 99 R/T's in terms of suspension. Good handling little front wheel drive cars, but its time to upgrade.

I may have to look for a set of 16"s, I was planning on having a dedicated set of winter tires anyway, I could probably use the stock 15"s for that.

MEL