PDA

View Full Version : Nice New Clutch, but what is the noise?

BMWVW
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Hello again,

So my old clutch was on its way out and I had it replaced with another SACHS clutch kit.

I think I have a bad habit of holding my foot just above the clutch when in traffic (I learned to drive a stick in stop/start traffic). Due to that, I noticed that if my foot is resting even a little bit on the clutch, there is a whirring sound. At one point it was making it without my foot even near the clutch (but hasn't done it since).

Is that sound normal?
I don't think I have ever driven a car with a nice new clutch, so this may be a dumb question but I don't know better! :)

Cheers, Paul.

cossieturbo
10-10-2005, 07:07 AM
It's not a normal sound. You did replace the Throwout Bearing? In a rare case it would be a pilot bearing, but it would be hard to hear.

cossieturbo

BMWVW
10-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I really couldn't say if those bearings have been replaced as I have to use a mechanic since my mechanical skills are a bit lacking :)

I will definitely ask him though. I have been having trouble with my wheels recently and I don't want to bug him about something else without having some idea that it is a real problem.

Cheers, Paul.

motorsport
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
well, i doubt a throwout bearing, it would only make noise if it is moved, ie foot on clutch, but he says it happens even with his foot not on the clutch? What about clutch completely depressed? Still noisy? when the throwout bearing is replaced during a clutch service, there are sometimes as many as 5or 6 spots that need greased on the clutch arm, if these are neglected you can get a squeal

BMWVW
10-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Apart from the one time that I heard the noise without my foot near the clutch, I haven't heard it since.

The noise I do still hear seems only to be present through the first inch or so of clutch pedal travel. I can't hear it when the car is moving although it may be masked by other road noise. So I can get the problem by applying a little bit of pressure to the clutch pedal. Once it reaches a certain point, everything is quiet again.

So far the clutch itself is going well. I haven't mentioned this to my mechanic and he is going to check it out when I am next in the shop.

Thanks for your comments. Certainly helps me feel more prepared before bugging my mechanic.

Cheers, Paul.

bmwhartgeM3
10-20-2005, 09:54 PM
yea that sounds like a throw out bearing. id make sure they replaced it when they did the clutch as there suppose to with the kit.