PDA

View Full Version : New owner w/some ???

Tman100z
10-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi All

I just picked up a 98Ti automatic w/70k for 6500. Unfortunantly the owners manual wasnt in the glove box. So my ? is I see there is a switch/button on the bottom left panel of the steering wheel labeled ASC which seem to do nothing when I push it, and yes i did a search but It would not accept ASC due to not enough characters.

Also the A/M button by the shifter?? I did notice when in "M" mode it seems to cut power a little from a dead stop acceleration so im assuming this is some kind of traction control.

Overall the car is great despite being an Auto, way better than the beater CRX i had for daily driving

Thanks in advance!!

BTW I think i saw on the sticker it has the active package

sparkchaser
10-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Traction control I believe.

My manual is beat up beyond belief and I want to get another one. Where is the best place to get one? eBay?

Tman100z
10-06-2005, 07:06 PM
There are a few manuals on Ebay but not for a 98. I saw on BMWUSA.COM that they have them online but you have to register in their owners club with your VIN # and stuff. Ill give it a try later when i get off from work

Breeze30
10-06-2005, 07:09 PM
The A/M button lets you control what gear you want to keep your car in. If the roads are slick (snow, ice) and you press the M button your car will not shift out of that gear. Basically it's so you can take off slowly in 3rd gear on snow so your tires don't spin. I've got a 95 and don't have an asc button, but I believe it's traction control.

ueb0258
10-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I will have to check my manual about the M because I thought it changed the shift points. The ASC is definitely the traction control. When you push it you probably will see a little light in the center of your gauges on the bottom that looks like a triangle with and circular arrow in it if I remember correctly. It is the same signal that pops up if you loose traction when traction control is turned on. I will blink at you and the motor will cut down on RPM's.

96cali
10-06-2005, 07:54 PM
ASC= Automatic Stability Control

ASC+T= Automatic Stability Control + Traction

It's referred to as both ways depending upon year IIRC. ASC brakes the rear wheels to limit slipping. A/M switches between auto and manual program modes. Don't know much more cuz I have a 5 speed. :biggrin:

The manuals do come up fairly often on ebay.

Tyler
10-06-2005, 11:49 PM
The A/M button lets you control what gear you want to keep your car in. If the roads are slick (snow, ice) and you press the M button your car will not shift out of that gear. Basically it's so you can take off slowly in 3rd gear on snow so your tires don't spin. I've got a 95 and don't have an asc button, but I believe it's traction control.

Actually thats wrong, the A/M button is the tiptronic shifter,acts like a manual. Once you have pushed the M button you can shift your own gears from 1-4 or whatever. I use this alot in the winter,seems to control the car better. It's not such a good idea to start off from a dead stop in gear 3 & 4,you can but i do not suggest it. I sometimes forget when i'm at a light but quickly shift down to 1. When you do use it and you shift from 1st to 2nd etc it hesitates on the shift,don't worry it's normal.

The ASC button if you hold that down for a second or two there will be an orange light that displays in betwwen you speedo and tach which means it's off. This is always on,if you want it off you have to deactivate it urself. When on your tires don't spin out in rain/snow etc. When off you can spin your tires.

CirrusSR22
10-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Actually thats wrong, the A/M button is the tiptronic shifter,acts like a manual. Once you have pushed the M button you can shift your own gears from 1-4 or whatever. I use this alot in the winter,seems to control the car better. It's not such a good idea to start off from a dead stop in gear 3 & 4,you can but i do not suggest it. I sometimes forget when i'm at a light but quickly shift down to 1. When you do use it and you shift from 1st to 2nd etc it hesitates on the shift,don't worry it's normal.

The ASC button if you hold that down for a second or two there will be an orange light that displays in betwwen you speedo and tach which means it's off. This is always on,if you want it off you have to deactivate it urself. When on your tires don't spin out in rain/snow etc. When off you can spin your tires.

He's at least partially right. The manual says to use it when it's slippery out, to prevent wheelspin.

sparkchaser
10-07-2005, 04:08 AM
OK, so let me get this straight: when the light is ON on the dash, the ASCT is deactivated?

I'ma little confused. Right now mine is off. Except for those two times I accidentally chirped the tires going into 2nd.

L84THSKY
10-07-2005, 04:08 AM
I could scan mine, but it takes time.

There are a few manuals on Ebay but not for a 98. I saw on BMWUSA.COM that they have them online but you have to register in their owners club with your VIN # and stuff. Ill give it a try later when i get off from work

sparkchaser
10-07-2005, 04:16 AM
I could scan mine, but it takes time.

No worries. I saw some on eBay for my 97.

cali-ti
10-07-2005, 04:46 AM
OK, so let me get this straight: when the light is ON on the dash, the ASCT is deactivated?

I'ma little confused. Right now mine is off. Except for those two times I accidentally chirped the tires going into 2nd.
yes, when the light is ON in the dash, the ASC+T is OFF. i wish there was a way to turn it off until you WANTED it on (it turns itself back on the next time you start your car).

Tman100z
10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the help and responses!!

1996 328ti
10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
yes, when the light is ON in the dash, the ASC+T is OFF. i wish there was a way to turn it off until you WANTED it on (it turns itself back on the next time you start your car).There is. There is a way to make it work backwards. Always OFF until you turn it ON. John Firestone may know how. If not I know someone had sent me a link with the instructions. Finding that link might take time.