PDA

View Full Version : CRT vs Flat Panel

L84THSKY
10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I just noticed an interesting point. I recently purchased a 19" Sony flat panel monitor at home. The 700:1 contrast ratio was superior to almost any other model. Just noticing while I'm at work, my pictures that I uploaded look so much darker than they did at home. As far as contrast ratio goes for flat panels, it definitely isn't hype. Comparing a CRT to a Flat Panel is night and day.:cool:

Dredder
10-17-2005, 09:00 PM
The reason the TFT are now getting better than CRT is the manucfaturers are now improving the Response Time. I remember the days when flat panel were the laughing stock of the industry. Gamers hated the jaggies on TFT during gameplays. I cant beleive how far of a price drop they have gone. 26" are now running for around $599

stormos
10-17-2005, 10:31 PM
i got a tft for the simple reason of..... space saving! :)

Edit: errr... i can't think straight, though a flat panel was a tft for a sec..

CirrusSR22
10-18-2005, 03:29 AM
A little off-topic, but I helped a neighbor move a 36" Sony CRT TV the other day. HOLY CRAP was that thing a monster!! I think it's listed at like 230 lbs, but it felt like 500 lbs.

Variance
10-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Well, really it depends on how old the CRT is, too. My old 21" diamondtron Gateway at 100% brightness is comparable to my new 19" Samsung with the brightness set to 0. Granted, I'd love to have a few TFTs, but I'm far too cheap to pay for the real-estate that I like to have.

-=Kenneth=-