PDA

View Full Version : My new car! (and my old one)

IndianaTravis
10-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to share a couple pictures of my new ti. I picked it up this weekend. One owner, 86k miles. It is a '96 and is completely stock. Seems to be in very good shape, the odometer backlight bulb is out and I think the front rotors have a little warpage to them, otherwise it is great.
I hope to do shocks/springs/wheels/tires next spring before autocross season, and from there maybe a cd player, and an M - tech front bumper.
It feels good to be back. My first BMW was a blue 318ti sport, which I bought when I lived in Indiana. Since then, I've lived in California, Arizona, and North Carolina, and owned a Z3, 325Ci, MCS, two Miatas, and a five series. Now I'm back in Indiana and back to owning a ti (and a 2006 Audi A3).
I hope to get together with some of the other midwest guys next year, and I just mailed my envelope for my stickers!
later,
Travis
(okay, I don't know how to attach pictues, I'm getting red x's. Here are some links)
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=872
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=870

madfronter
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
How do you like the A3? I am interested in one. My mom just bought a 2003 TT.

aceyx
10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
'tis sweet (the ti).

Where in Indiana are you?

IndianaTravis
10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
First off, thanks!

I live in Fort Wayne, work in Pierceton, and spend a lot of time in Muncie, whether visiting family or attending Ball State sporting events.

As for the A3, I really like it for a 'family' car. Initially I was going to drive it and my wife was going to drive the five series, but the handling isn't as crisp as the MINI was, or the ti is. It has GOBS of power and torque (at least to me, 200hp and 200ft-lb is a lot) and the DSG is amazing. But it wallows in transitions and understeers relentlessly. I don't have the sport version, that might make a difference.

My wife likes it because, as she followed me home from Michigan after I picked up the ti, she could keep up really easily. I didn't find any curvy roads for her to chase me on. (She also used to have to keep up with the MINI in a Jeep, so that was tough. I spent a lot of time making sure we had LOTS of room before I made a move.)

PettitWC
10-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Not a bad car in an awesome color!

aceyx
10-31-2005, 09:13 PM
I felt somewhat the same about the A3. Not nearly as "connected" as the ti, but very capable--pretty on par with other ring cars I've driven.

The power is adequate, but the delivery is ho-hum. It pulls like a 2.2L 6-cyl, rather than a turbo'd 1.whatever 4-banger.

It was very solidly built; closing the door gave a satisfying sound, and the interior bits didn't appear cheap. However, the interior felt a little more cramped than our hatchbacks.

It also suffers from a soft clutch (but so do the new E46s). I hate that.