PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench?

drkblu318ti
11-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Does any one have one that lives in Connecticut or New York that i could use....? Im plannin on chaning my pads and rotors and need a torque wrench.. and dont have money to buy one of those.... for the same reason i am doing it my self.

1996 328ti
11-01-2005, 04:17 AM
To be honest, you really don't need a torque wrench for this.
You should use a torque for your wheels though.
Does a place like Autozone rent tools?

L84THSKY
11-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Come to Long Island, and you can use mine.

Does any one have one that lives in Connecticut or New York that i could use....? Im plannin on chaning my pads and rotors and need a torque wrench.. and dont have money to buy one of those.... for the same reason i am doing it my self.

drkblu318ti
11-01-2005, 04:30 AM
Come to Long Island, and you can use mine.

How long does it normally take to change the pads and rotors.... Just for the rear?

Im gonna find out about Autozone.. i may even try home depot..

Otherwise l84hstky i may have to take you up on that offer.

1996 328ti
11-01-2005, 04:36 AM
It will vary. You are probably going to need a breaker bar with a pipe to remove the bolts for the carriers. The rotor set screws are usually stubborn since people generally crank them on and don't use antisieze. You may need to drill them out. You could also use a deadblow hammer. The first time I did it it took a few hours because the dealer had done the work before and just cranked everything on.

L84THSKY
11-01-2005, 05:26 AM
I did mine a few months ago. About 2 hours for front, and 2 hours for rear, to be safe.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6460
How long does it normally take to change the pads and rotors.... Just for the rear?
Im gonna find out about Autozone.. i may even try home depot..
Otherwise l84hstky i may have to take you up on that offer.

Panzer_M
11-01-2005, 05:38 AM
I got a TW from my dad years ago when I first go into cars with my 84 318i.

don't always use it, but it's good to have it.

aceyx
11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Auto Pep Zone Napa Boys all rent tools, but like Steven says, it's really only necessary for the wheels (and quite necessary, actually).

The ones I have I don't use much, but using the clicker makes me feel like I'm doing something important so I break 'em out every once in a while.