PDA

View Full Version : Hood Shut Mechanism?

stormos
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys,

my hood (bonnet) is very tempermental at the moment in the fact it is hard to get it to clip down shut. any ideas where i cna get some info about this or has anyone had similiar issues? atm it takes a humungous force to close it....

cali-ti
11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
sounds like it needs to be cleaned/lubed and/or adjusted. i forget which part can be adjusted (or possibly both) the latch or the pin (one's on the hood itself, the other on the top of the front engine bay (of course).

i would clean it up first with some parts cleaner (try not to get too much around as i'm guessing it's bad for paint) and then use some white lithium grease or lubro moly grease to grease it up.

PettitWC
11-02-2005, 03:37 PM
did you knock it real hard or something?

aceyx
11-02-2005, 04:32 PM
The latch mechanism on the underside of the hood can be adjusted, but it should still be in alignment unless you bonkered the bonnet. It may also be difficult if you've just replaced the hood struts (which you just have to give a month or so before they break in).

Try to wiggle the latch mechanism, and give the spring a squeeze (by moving the latch). It should be stable, but forgiving. Clean / lube as necessary.

stormos
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
car has never been bonkered but it has got harder to close the bonnet as time has gone on.... will take a look at it at the weekend providing it ain't pissin it down with rain....