PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a new car for me

Juni
11-05-2005, 02:27 AM
I need some sort of feedback you guys. The oppertunity has just came to light. There is a prospective E34 540i V8 for sale @ the wonderful price of $5500. I have someone who wants to by my 97 Active silver ti with the m sport package for far more money. Now my question is, would any of you guys give up your ti's for an E34 540i w/100,000 on the clock? That almost 300 hp is calling my name and i'm tempted to open the door.

cali-ti
11-05-2005, 02:40 AM
i'd love to have an e34 540i 6-speed ... in addition to my ti. the 5-er feels quite a bit bigger and not as tossable. with all that i've invested in my ti (original cost, time, parts, etc), i PERSONALLY don't think i'd do it. i also have no idea what issues are common with those or what parts costs are like. things to consider, but either way i think you'd have a nice car :)

EDIT: is the 540i a sport, manual? what other info do you have besides 100k miles?

aceyx
11-05-2005, 04:06 AM
I would be very hesitant to purchase a 540i for 5500, only because of such a "too good to be true" price.

As far as giving up the ti, at this point, not a chance. Low gas mileage, easy to park and the hatch (for fitting big items) is important to me. After I finish with school, I think I would more easily go that route simply because of the field I'm entering.

Other factors; do you want a fast car, or one that handles well? City or highway driving? Passengers often? You also probably want to look at the going insurance rate.

I think I would still keep the ti though.

Juni
11-05-2005, 04:15 AM
i'd love to have an e34 540i 6-speed ... in addition to my ti. the 5-er feels quite a bit bigger and not as tossable. with all that i've invested in my ti (original cost, time, parts, etc), i PERSONALLY don't think i'd do it. i also have no idea what issues are common with those or what parts costs are like. things to consider, but either way i think you'd have a nice car :)

EDIT: is the 540i a sport, manual? what other info do you have besides 100k miles?

it's an automatic, its burgundy in color. Imaculate condition, it also comes with a remus exhaust already installed. Tan leather interior, wood grain dash.
I also read that this car is capable of 26mpg Highway!

cali-ti
11-05-2005, 05:56 AM
I also read that this car is capable of 26mpg Highway!
so is a 400+HP corvette :tongue:

i'd personally not like that car in an automatic so that'd be another reason for me to bypass the deal. what's blue book on it? run a carfax report to find out if it's been in any accidents, salvage title, blah blah blah?

2ndBimmer
11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
According to MSN, the e34 540 is rated at 16/23 mpg.

Youre also looking at a vechicle 1000lbs more than the Ti.

John W
11-06-2005, 01:33 AM
The engines in the 540 had some serious issues and I think BMW recalled all of those cars. I'd check into that closely before purchasing the car, but I think the general consensus is to avoid the 8 cylinder cars.

My parents have an E34 525i manual. Nice car, but it's heavy -- and it feels heavy. It all depends on what you like ...