PDA

View Full Version : close call on overheating engine

johnnycpoc
11-05-2005, 04:28 AM
folks,

First time post on the forum for me...
I took my 97 ti (bought it in May this year with only 46K miles on it) from Virginia to Philly and then to Allentown this week. After my meeting in Allentown the ti started to overheat right after starting back for VA. I pulled over right away and got a tow to the local BMW dealer Allentown. I was freaking :shock: thinking that I blew the head gasket. I've read the posts on head gaskets "going out". Turns out the thermostat was stuck closed!:smile:

Johnnycpoc
97 318ti sport silver/black

cali-ti
11-05-2005, 05:53 AM
good thing you stopped (unlike what most women would have done :tongue:). glad to hear it was a cheap fix! usually they fail open (much nicer way of failing).

2ndBimmer
11-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Overheats are quite scary!
I almost had one the other week.
Turns out it was a hose leak.

aceyx
11-05-2005, 08:31 PM
good thing you stopped (unlike what most women would have done :tongue:).
A few nights ago I was stopped by a girl at a gas station, who asked if I knew anything about cars. She pointed to the puddle of coolant under her car and asked "Is that bad?"

I checked under the hood and found the entire right side of the motor wet, probably a gasket / hose leak. Told her it's not a good idea to drive the car, but with the amount of coolant she had, she could probably make it home. However, I told her to keep an eye on the temp gauge and to stop immediately if it went past middle.

She didn't seem phased when I told her that it could lead to engine seizure, equating to several thousand dollars. She said it was her boyfriend's car, but her boyfriend also told her just to "come home," since he didn't want to pay to have it towed. Note that he also sent her out to get cigarettes.

I told her she needed a new boyfriend. :biggrin:

cali-ti
11-05-2005, 08:51 PM
A few nights ago I was stopped by a girl at a gas station, who asked if I knew anything about cars. She pointed to the puddle of coolant under her car and asked "Is that bad?"
I checked under the hood and found the entire right side of the motor wet, probably a gasket / hose leak. Told her it's not a good idea to drive the car, but with the amount of coolant she had, she could probably make it home. However, I told her to keep an eye on the temp gauge and to stop immediately if it went past middle.
She didn't seem phased when I told her that it could lead to engine seizure, equating to several thousand dollars. She said it was her boyfriend's car, but her boyfriend also told her just to "come home," since he didn't want to pay to have it towed. Note that he also sent her out to get cigarettes.
I told her she needed a new boyfriend. :biggrin:
LOL ... you should have told her to drive around the block a few extra times ;)