PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky as hell!

hubrisin
11-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Two months ago I done a front-end brake job. Brembo Solid Rotors and Pagid Pads. The work was done by myself with little problems, everything went apart and together flawlessly. My breaking is tight and responses well, but everything a lightly break my brakes sqeal in a high pitched whine. There isn't any sound when I do hard sudden braking, just on soft braking. The sound has slowly dimminshed, but it still makes that noise.
I didn't use the the anti-sqeal lubricant at the time of installation.
Are Brembo's noisey rotors? Should I pull the pads and apply the anti-sqeal gel?
Thanks-Matt

H3_2.1-ti
11-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Two months ago I done a front-end brake job. Brembo Solid Rotors and Pagid Pads. The work was done by myself with little problems, everything went apart and together flawlessly. My breaking is tight and responses well, but everything a lightly break my brakes sqeal in a high pitched whine. There isn't any sound when I do hard sudden braking, just on soft braking. The sound has slowly dimminshed, but it still makes that noise.
I didn't use the the anti-sqeal lubricant at the time of installation.
Are Brembo's noisey rotors? Should I pull the pads and apply the anti-sqeal gel?
Thanks-Matt

Is the noise coming from any speicfic corner (fr. right, fr. left, etc...)? Also, what type of Pagids did you install?

hubrisin
11-09-2005, 04:42 AM
right side but I think it's coming from both side, i used the basic Pagids from BavAuto.

318ti
11-09-2005, 05:08 AM
right side but I think it's coming from both side, i used the basic Pagids from BavAuto.

Had Pagids on my VW once.... Some people refered to them as
"SLAP" pads (Squeal Like A Pig):smile:

P

hubrisin
12-14-2005, 04:46 AM
fixed the problem! basically the front pad wasn't flush with the rotor, it was wearing unevenly, and part of the pad didn't make contact with the rotor at all.
after taking everything apart, cleaning, taking a wire brush/buffing wheel to the parts, and adding anti-squeal lubricant the noise is gone.
next time anyone replaces their pads, make sure everything is aligned prior to reassembly!
M

tastade
02-09-2006, 07:41 PM
fixed the problem! basically the front pad wasn't flush with the rotor, it was wearing unevenly, and part of the pad didn't make contact with the rotor at all.
after taking everything apart, cleaning, taking a wire brush/buffing wheel to the parts, and adding anti-squeal lubricant the noise is gone.
next time anyone replaces their pads, make sure everything is aligned prior to reassembly!
M

I did the same thing with mine, took everything apart and cleaned everything. Applied anti-squeal to the backs of the pads as well. The next month they were back to squealling just like before (same as you, only light braking). Mine only squeals when I drive more than about 10 miles in town and above 70 deg. F outside (i.e. I think it is temperature related).

I am getting to the point where I am going to replace all my rotors and pads (they need it anyway). I don't want to end up in the same position after spending big dollars to replace them.

What pads and rotors do you recommend, and where to buy them? I want quiet relatively dust free. I don't care how good they are on the track (although I might autocross once or twice). I prefer OEM, nothing high performance.

My local BMW dealer gave me the quote:
F. Rotor: $45 ea
R. Rotor: $50 ea
F. pads: $72.50 set
R. pads: $70.25 set
F. Sensor: $16.50
R. Sensor: $18.20

How are the factory pads? How are those prices? Thanks!

J!m
02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Factory pads are fine; just dusty as hell...

If you wash the car every week (or more often) it's not a problem.

I typically wash every other week, and the wheels were black in that time frame...

I now use the Porterfiled R4S pads, and couldn't be happier with them...

cossieturbo
02-10-2006, 06:21 AM
If you are looking for a good pad with factory or better performance, better pricing and are quiet... blah blah blah... just give Rotex a run. They are now on my 318ti, 328ic, Subaru Outback XT, my Bosses car and more (all Semi-Metallics). So much bang for the buck ($50 buck for me). I don't know who really makes them (so few actually make their own pads), but I love them.

I have unhappy stories about the EBC Greens. What a waste of money for the street. I was not happy with the corrosive hard powder they left behind either. Light, but nasty to remove. I might try them on the track soon.

Loved the AXXIS (metallic) for my Nissan race car at the "full course" track days. Ok for the street. The factory pads are used for Street & X-Crossing as they are amazing! I wasted so much time & $ trying different rotor/pad setups for my Nissan and in the end the best combo was all factory except for Power stop/slot rotors up front.

The Pagids though... never ever liked any of them. for some reason every BMW I buy has these bleedin things on the front. They are thrown to the trash in a minutes time for something far better.

I will try the "Porterfiled R4S" and the "Hawk HPS" next.

In the end everyone has their views and we have all burned many hours trying to find the Holly Grail (The Graaaail) of Brake pads. It's all about Compromise... right? Good luck & evening mates.

cossieturbo

tastade
02-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Cossie, I just responded to your other post under "Wagner Brake Pads". After reading this post I see you like the Power stop slotted rotors, do you think they are worth a $40 premium per rotor (over non-slotted rotors)? And would you go with Power Slot or Brembo for slotted rotors (I see Tirerack sells both)? Would you go with the Standard or Cryo-Treated (adds $30 a rotor) Power Slots?

I am thinking I will go with the Hawk HPS pads with the standard Power Slot rotors.

cossieturbo
02-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Well getting down to it Slotted Rotors are quite nice over X-drilled. The slotted units scrub the Pads (little quicker wear) and help on water soaked braking. I prefer Cad-plated units for their rust resistance and the Cryoed Rotors are great for stopping Rotor warp and have an advantage in molecular makeup. I love Cyro bits... but I now have the ATI (Flower cut) slotted ones. Cheap and they have not warped at all. The down side is they can make an odd grinding/groaning noise when you apply them. Not bad though.

When I do my brakes again I'm not sure if I would spend the extra cash on the Cryo bits for the street on an E36. If you feel that you can spare the extra coinage then you will find that Cryo bits ...
last longer
are harder
tougher to warp
shed heat better

You can't go wrong with the Hawk HPS's and slotted rotors! All of my track mates have used, or are using, HPS's for their street to track pads. They love them.

cossieturbo