PDA

View Full Version : Something is wrong with the steering!!!

Juni
11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Okay,

So recently I have noticed that there is something very wrong with my steering. When I picked up my car @ the body shop the steering wheel was very hard to turn. I didn't know what was wrong.....so I figured if I continued to drive it, it would get better (it's been sitting in the shop for about a month). I was dead wrong, as the car starts moving at higher an higher speeds, it becomes much easier to drive in a straight line. Taking a curve or just turning the steering wheel in general is hard. For example: if your at an intersection, and you about to turn left. It would normally be an easy task, once you turn, the steering wheel would normaly straighten back out on its own. correct? My ti doesnt do that anymore. I would have to physically turn the hard ass wheel back so I can drive straight.

Now, I went to my mechanic, (he was very busy) told him the problem, but he said to check the powersteering fluids. So I did, but they were okay. I dont know what the hell happend to my car while it was sitting in that shop. Can any of you guys offer me any help, guidence, pointers, something so I can fix this before it potentially breaks something!

Juni

PettitWC
11-14-2005, 08:41 PM
maybe something wrong with the pulley?

Juni
11-14-2005, 10:27 PM
maybe something wrong with the pulley?

I cant think of anything that could be wrong with it. The belt has tension, its moving the pulley. Would I have to flush the PS system? Or maybe get a new PS pump?!?!

Juni
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Bump!

aceyx
11-16-2005, 12:15 AM
It's not something that should happen just by sitting at the shop. I would take it to a different place to get a second opinion. Foreign Motors West does decent work, but there's another specialty place near there I can't remember right now.

cali-ti
11-16-2005, 12:21 AM
definitely sounds like an issue with the ps pump and flushing the system would be a good first step. is the pulley attached to the pump turning as the belt drives it?

Juni
11-16-2005, 12:34 AM
definitely sounds like an issue with the ps pump and flushing the system would be a good first step. is the pulley attached to the pump turning as the belt drives it?

Im gonna have to wait to look into that....atleast until mornin. Last night I took a flash light, I found the PS tank and it seems to have fluid in it. Im just not sure how much fluid is supposed to be in there. However I did notice the belt that drives the PS pump seems to have a bunch of little cracks in it. Possibly, also the culprit to the engine squeeky noise.

Juni
11-16-2005, 12:37 AM
It's not something that should happen just by sitting at the shop. I would take it to a different place to get a second opinion. Foreign Motors West does decent work, but there's another specialty place near there I can't remember right now.

I didnt think so either.......but then I grew weiry of the shop. They do have a boat load of E36's all over the place in there. I would hate to think that they removed a part from my car to put it on somebody elses car! That idea grew in my head, beacuase I always saw a white ti in body shop yard that looked fairly tuned. Im just hoping that it's nothing serious.

aceyx
11-16-2005, 03:04 AM
If your engine bay is dirty, check around for places where the dust was rubbed off, if there are new bolts, or if the bolts have fresh scratches.

I generally am willing to believe the best in people, so I hope that's not the case.

cali-ti
11-16-2005, 03:12 AM
If your engine bay is dirty, check around for places where the dust was rubbed off, if there are new bolts, or if the bolts have fresh scratches.

I generally am willing to believe the best in people, so I hope that's not the case.
i would hate to think a shop would do that too. check as aceyx suggested ... you'd definitely want to be sure of something like that before accusing them. there certainly should be signs that parts were swapped if they were.

maybe possible particles in the system settled into the pump or something while it was sitting?

Juni
11-16-2005, 03:23 AM
so what steps should I take to flush out the system? Is there a how to?

cali-ti
11-16-2005, 03:56 AM
i sent you an email with some posts from the ti yahoo mailing list. i figured it was more important to get it to you in a timely fashion than cleaning it up and nice so i hope you can follow it. as per the note at the top of the email, take a look at steven's pics in his gallery (1996 328ti) - the PS Fluid Reservoir has a filter integral to it, you may want to consider a new one as part of the fluid change. i'll probably do this flush/fill before too long and hopefully we'll have an article system by then (steven's working on finding a good one) so i can put an article together.

1996 328ti
11-16-2005, 04:23 AM
so what steps should I take to flush out the system? Is there a how to?
Watching my mechanic, he loosened one hose and worked the wheels left and right until all the fluid was gone. It needs to be done on a lift. Then he added fluid, worked the wheels left and right. Checked the fluid. Started the engine and rechecked the fluid. My noise was louder. We replaced the steering pump today. Now it's quiet and I'm poorer for it.

Next to chase down an oil leak. He thinks it's the oil filter housing. That's almost $300.:eek:

Juni
11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks to all of you guys that helped. I really cant say enough as to how useful this site really is! I will keep you posted as to how it goes. Thank you once again.

-Juni

96ti
11-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I think I did o write up of how to flush the system before. I am lazy to search so..uhm.. hell I write it here. first thing first, get a quart of ATF, some hose clamps in hand would be helful. To flush the system, you have to take off both hoses that connect to the reservoir then let them drain. Make sure all the fluid has drained out of the system before putting them back together. Pour in new ATF to the reservoir to the max. Now turn on the engine then turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then right, do it about 3 times. This process is to make sure you will have no air in your system. Check the fluid level, if it's low, refill it. Mission accompished :)). Have a nice weekend with your ti. Don't spill. BWT, talking about spilling, keep a tower in hand before you flush.

Juni
11-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Well, I just finished the PS system flush this morning. I took her out for a drive..........but the problem still persists! However when I did the flush, the oil came out pitch black! I don't think it was ever changed. So after much pain and frustration, I gave up. I dont know what the hell is going on, I guess I just have to give in and take her to the mechanic.

cali-ti
11-20-2005, 02:39 AM
sounds like you're not getting the boost ... maybe the pump died :(

Juni
11-20-2005, 03:36 AM
sounds like you're not getting the boost ... maybe the pump died :(

Well, when I was flushing the system, and turning the steering wheel with all the hoses disconnected, the steering wheel was like a workout to turn. Yet when I patched everything up, and put new fluid in, it only slightly got better from when I first started. So I must be getting some boost from the PS pump, right?:frown:

cali-ti
11-20-2005, 04:18 AM
hmmmm ... my mechanics back in IL flushed my system and it sounds similar to what you're talking about (they said it was very nasty and they had to flush it several times to get it to operate decently again). i'm not sure what all they did. i'm wondering if your pump or your rack is junked up badly such that it kinda works but not well.

anyone know of a way to check either of those areas for blockage or clear it if it does exist?

esbart
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Does the PS reservoir has some kind of filter that could get clogged and not able to pump oil?

Juni
02-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Does the PS reservoir has some kind of filter that could get clogged and not able to pump oil?

It does, but you cant just replace the filter. You have to replace the whole reservoir tank.

atlanta318ti
04-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Correct. But a new tank is pretty cheap to purchase and not a bad idea. If you determine it's the pump causing the issue I would definitely go ahead and change the reservoir at the same time. Below that filter it could be clogged or look like my arteries in about 30 more years.

I had a worn out hose on my last TI that was leaking, so I flushed the system using the old tank, then replaced with new hoses and a new tank after the system ran clean. It made a world of difference and was very simple work.

Mothman
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
To replace that your looking at $118-130.00. If your car only leaks when the engine is running check two things before you replace it.

1st Make sure you do not have two rubber rings around the cap of the oil filter. Common error if you take your car to a place who is not used to working on BMWs. They will add a 2nd ring which will cause a gap for oil to spill out.

If the oil is coming out at the bottom of the housing area, then you need to replace a rubber O-Ring $1.70 - $2.50. The ring gets damage when someone puts multi-direction pressure when trying to open the oil filter cap. This will damage the O-Ring and results to an oil leak.

Go to http://www.realoem.com to see a picture of your oil housing filter.
If you got to my profile and picture area I will post a picture of it.

Good Luck,
Mothman :drunk: :drunk:

Watching my mechanic, he loosened one hose and worked the wheels left and right until all the fluid was gone. It needs to be done on a lift. Then he added fluid, worked the wheels left and right. Checked the fluid. Started the engine and rechecked the fluid. My noise was louder. We replaced the steering pump today. Now it's quiet and I'm poorer for it.

Next to chase down an oil leak. He thinks it's the oil filter housing. That's almost $300.:eek: