Silver00spike
11-24-2005, 02:26 AM
s52 swap OBD2 to OBD2

m3 components needed
-engine ~5000
-cluster ~250
-radiator ~150
-80c thermostat
-ecu, and complete (matching to engine, and transmission )wiring harness ~250 or included
-EWS(security system) to be aligned by dealership ~100
-Custom Intake ~100+
-Complete m3 exhaust up to muffler, which does not fit ~300
-e46 330 OEM or aftermarket muffler, or custom muffler that fits (magnaflow) ~150+

optional but recommended
-transmission ~450
-m3 clutch and flywheel ~100 or included
-mcoupe or mroadster LSD differential ~500
-matching driveshaft to differential ~150
-front m3 brakes, preferably with complete front brakes ~700
-17" + wheels to clear m3 brakes, if you went this route. Preferably wider then 8"
-m3 alternator ~75
-

Please feel free to add, I might have left something out. I got tired of people asking, and us telling to search, when there is no definative thread

According Dredder, but make sure your number of bolts match 6 or 4 on both ends:
1. 318ti tranny use 318ti driveshaft
2. m3 tranny uses m3 drive shaft
3. Mroadster tranny use mroadster driveshaft.

Total required labor should be around $2500, or $3500 with all optional installed

A wheel tire combo that does NOT give enough traction after this mod is 17X7.5" with Yokohama es100 tires 215 wide. First and second gear can lose traction. 17x9" wheels with 255-40-17 performance tires does fit all around, with 15mm spacers up front, and fender rolling in rear. This provides good dry traction.

Silver00spike
11-24-2005, 08:23 AM
EWS -what I've learned

there are 3 points with EWS, each has a code which must match the other 2. Otherwise car won't start.

-key
-ews box, located under glove box, about 4" by 2" by 3"
-computer, ecu

The best route is to go to the dealership, BEFORE trying to crank it, or even messing with it.

I found that having people try to line up the EWS with inferior tools more then 1 time causes permanent damage to the ews box, which then no longer can be aligned. Then your new route is to get a key, ignition lock, ews box, and ecu, from a working and running car ~$450

Dredder
11-24-2005, 01:37 PM
another option is get EWS delete chip from AA/TMS/Etc.

Additional parts needed/option;
80C thermostat
water wetter fluid
Make sure the wiring harness is for the same ///M motor & same year, (thier are atleast 4 different wiring harness). If you try to install an Auto harness to Manual car, you're going to have a headache.

Silver00spike
11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
another option is get EWS delete chip from AA/TMS/Etc.

Additional parts needed/option;
80C thermostat
water wetter fluid
Make sure the wiring harness is for the same ///M motor & same year, (thier are atleast 4 different wiring harness). If you try to install an Auto harness to Manual car, you're going to have a headache.
You can't get a chip for an OBD2 setup. Water wetter fluid is for fan delete riught?

cali-ti
11-24-2005, 11:00 PM
water wetter can be used anywhere, it just lowers the overall temp from what i understand. basic cooling system protection.

96cali
11-25-2005, 05:40 AM
I got tired of people asking, and us telling to search, when there is no definative thread.

Halleljah my brother!

and thank you.:smile:

andrei
11-25-2005, 04:24 PM
But what if I whant to swap to an m50 engine? What are all the parts that I need? All I know is that I only need the engine , wireing harnes and all the engine electronics,cluster and 325 front brakes(preferebly e46 330 brakes) and I can use my curent gear box, drive shaft, diff and front m-tehnik suspention (wich I just changed a week ago).

cali-ti
11-25-2005, 04:37 PM
one thing i was never sure on ... what driveshafts work with which combinations of transmissions/differentials? for example, what driveshaft works in the following situations:

1) original transmission and differential
---> original ti driveshaft

2) M3 transmission, ti differential
---> ?

3) M3 transmission, MZ3 or M-Coupe differential
---> ?

i'm guessing those are the general situations people find themselves in.

Silver00spike
11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
one thing i was never sure on ... what driveshafts work with which combinations of transmissions/differentials? for example, what driveshaft works in the following situations:

1) original transmission and differential
---> original ti driveshaft

2) M3 transmission, ti differential
---> ?

3) M3 transmission, MZ3 or M-Coupe differential
---> ?

i'm guessing those are the general situations people find themselves in.
I wish I could help you with this, or the guy with the m50 swap, but I'm just speaking from experience. I'm using the e36 m3 driveshaft, but it was machined to fit the differential. Reason being one is 4 bolts, the other is 6.

What you need to do it find a driveshaft that has the same number of bolts as your differential's flange(connection point)

Dredder
11-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Heres my response in regards to the driveshaft question.

2. m3 tranny use m3 drive shaft

I bought J!M swap manual and from my recollection those were his instructions.

cali-ti
11-26-2005, 11:55 PM

cool. are the LENGTHS of all the driveshafts what they need to be? that's one thing i wasn't sure about. i understand silver00spikes's comments regarding the bolt pattern at the diff end of the driveshaft, just wasn't positive on the lengths of the driveshafts. are the mroadster trans and the m3 trans any different? from what silver00spike said on the diff, the front mount is different between the m3 (6-bolt) and the m-roadster (4-bolt), but i would be surprised to learn that the transmissions are different. again, from what i recollect, the m3 trans is LONGER than the ti trans (and therefore the 325/328 trans as well), right?

keep in mind, i'm just trying to clarify this to the best of all our understandings for those who wish to do it in the future, i'm not actually going to do it myself :) this is certainly a much discussed topic and i applaud silver00spike for starting this thead!

Dredder
11-28-2005, 03:18 AM
325 and 318ti uses the getrag tranny while
328 and m3 uses ZF tranny

Silver00spike
11-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I would say you DEFINATELY need a stronger diff, cause I broke my old one with just a blower and some canny shifting

AlaskaBlue
11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Could someone post up what is needed for the OBD-I to OBD-I S50 swap? I heard there were a few differences, and the M42-S50 was a little easier/cheaper. The swap is looking better everyday:rolleyes: cough KO major let down dissapointment scam cough. Now that I am working as a classical guitar instructor at a music academy I may be able to do it in a year or something.

Dredder
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Could someone post up what is needed for the OBD-I to OBD-I S50 swap? I heard there were a few differences, and the M42-S50 was a little easier/cheaper. The swap is looking better everyday:rolleyes: cough KO major let down dissapointment scam cough. Now that I am working as a classical guitar instructor at a music academy I may be able to do it in a year or something.
You are right the S50 OBD1 to OBD1 is the simplest of all swap. That is what i have in my car. Word of advice when you get a donor make sure you also get the same wiring harness from the car. You are going to pull on your hair trying to figure out the whole mess. Everything is a direct bolt in

AlaskaBlue
12-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Dredder-are you running a stock 318ti 5 speed? I thought that would also keep costs down.

andrei
12-06-2005, 06:08 PM
But what if I whant to swap to an m50 engine? What are all the parts that I need? All I know is that I only need the engine , wireing harnes and all the engine electronics,cluster and 325 front brakes(preferebly e46 330 brakes) and I can use my curent gear box, drive shaft, diff and front m-tehnik suspention (wich I just changed a week ago).
Guys please help me. I am stil confused because I don't have a good list of the things I need to have an m50 swap.
I know I need the engine and all the electronics, front 325 brakes, 325 cluster.
I don't know if I need the transmision(gear box), drive shaft, diff. So can anyone please help me with this one.
I own a 1994 Ti(M42).
Thanks.

Silver00spike
12-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Guys please help me. I am stil confused because I don't have a good list of the things I need to have an m50 swap.
I know I need the engine and all the electronics, front 325 brakes, 325 cluster.
I don't know if I need the transmision(gear box), drive shaft, diff. So can anyone please help me with this one.
I own a 1994 Ti(M42).
Thanks.
you need the diff if you want to make sure yours won't break soon. The driveshaft serves a fitment to diff issue, and the transmission should be OK unless you want to supercharge or turbocharge later

andrei
12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
you need the diff if you want to make sure yours won't break soon. The driveshaft serves a fitment to diff issue, and the transmission should be OK unless you want to supercharge or turbocharge later

So I can use my curent transmision. This is a good thing because I can save some money. I think that the curent diff will be just fine because I have seen some m50/52 swaps on the ti and they all say that the diff hold to that kind of power.
Thank you for your reply.

P.S. :SHould I go for a new clutch kit such as an m3 cluctch?

cali-ti
12-07-2005, 02:48 PM
as i see it, the issue with the diff isn't all whether or not it can handle the power. most stock ti diffs are open diffs. with the 6, i imagine you'll be spinning one wheel way more often that you would have with the 4. the advantage of going to a large case diff is more that you'll gain a limited slip diff (LSD) than just increased power handling (although that would be good as well).

andrei
12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
as i see it, the issue with the diff isn't all whether or not it can handle the power. most stock ti diffs are open diffs. with the 6, i imagine you'll be spinning one wheel way more often that you would have with the 4. the advantage of going to a large case diff is more that you'll gain a limited slip diff (LSD) than just increased power handling (although that would be good as well).
Wel then I will do the swap and later when I will have the necesery cash I will do the diff also.
Thanks for all the answers. I just found a guy that sells a 325 bmw and he asks for the engine, all the electronics, front springs, front brake calipers for somthing like 800 euros.

andrei
12-07-2005, 08:45 PM
One more thing... After an m50 swap do I need to get the EWS realigned at a dealer considering that my car is a 1994 ti.

Silver00spike
12-07-2005, 09:27 PM
One more thing... After an m50 swap do I need to get the EWS realigned at a dealer considering that my car is a 1994 ti.
yes. EWS needs to be aligned for ANY engine

as for the diff, I broke mine with just a supercharger, so thats why I replaced the 3.45 LSD one I had later from the clubsport

andrei
12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
So after I install the engine and all the wire harnes I sholdn't try to start it and just go down do a bmw dealer and ask the to align the EWS??

Silver00spike
12-14-2005, 07:37 AM
So after I install the engine and all the wire harnes I sholdn't try to start it and just go down do a bmw dealer and ask the to align the EWS??
sorry for slow reply. I'm not COMPLETELY sure all OBD1 cars have EWS. Please do your research, but the rest of the process is correct

Viper3812
12-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned, but what is the exhaust setup on the s50 for our ti? Would a euro s50 be the same?

Viper3812
12-26-2005, 05:38 AM
I found it, M3 exhaust up to 330 muffler. Still the same for the euro s50?

Also, I have bilstein sports on my car now, but would I need to change the front to M3 bilsteins or can I keep the ones I have?

Silver00spike
12-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I can't answer either of those :(

probably yes and yes

J!m
01-05-2006, 12:02 AM

I am using the M3 motor, ti tranny and M roadster diff (well, complete sub-frame too) and I am using the ti drive shaft. The M roadster drive shaft is too short...

J!m
01-05-2006, 12:06 AM
So I can use my curent transmision. This is a good thing because I can save some money. I think that the curent diff will be just fine because I have seen some m50/52 swaps on the ti and they all say that the diff hold to that kind of power.
Thank you for your reply.

P.S. :SHould I go for a new clutch kit such as an m3 cluctch?

Any of the sixes have a very good chance of breaking the stock ti diff. It WILL happen, the only question is when. Budget for it, and take care of it or you'll be walking at some point...

J!m
01-05-2006, 12:12 AM
yes. EWS needs to be aligned for ANY engin

Not 100% sure for Romanian model cars, but in the US all OBD-I cars do not need EWS allignment. THIS is exactly why so many mods are OBD-I mods; it's the 'easy' way to do it. Late '95 and up (with OBD-II engine management and Driveaway protection) need to be 'alligned' after a swap is done, or you can't start the engine. OBD-I car / engine exchanges (1995 ti with 1995 M3 for example) are plug-n-play... I have personally seen several swapped tis now, and all the OBD-I swaps were swap and go. No dealer involvement.

Shellback
01-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Not 100% sure for Romanian model cars, but in the US all OBD-I cars do not need EWS allignment. THIS is exactly why so many mods are OBD-I mods; it's the 'easy' way to do it. Late '95 and up (with OBD-II engine management and Driveaway protection) need to be 'alligned' after a swap is done, or you can't start the engine. OBD-I car / engine exchanges (1995 ti with 1995 M3 for example) are plug-n-play... I have personally seen several swapped tis now, and all the OBD-I swaps were swap and go. No dealer involvement.

Great info J!M,
I think this is the route I'm going to take if I decide to follow through.
So just to be clear, from 1994 until a certain build date in '95, these are OBD I 318ti's, correct? And by installing an OBD I M3 engine from a 1995 M3, I should be ok, right?
By the way J!m, thanks for the swap conversion publication. Very professional and step by step for guys like me.
Cheers!
Chris

Dredder
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
You can also disable the EWS input on an OBD 1 dme by clipping the pin(dme side) 66 wire, it's solid green :cool:
depend on the year. Please revise this post.

J!m
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Great info J!M,
So just to be clear, from 1994 until a certain build date in '95, these are OBD I 318ti's, correct? And by installing an OBD I M3 engine from a 1995 M3, I should be ok, right?
By the way J!m, thanks for the swap conversion publication. Very professional and step by step for guys like me.
Cheers!
Chris

Thanks for the praise! I do my best to make the booklet clear, and to the point to prevent getting into the middle of the project and have forgotten something...:biggrin:

Please check with any local BMW mechanics regarding the Romanian engine management. I don't know for sure if they follow the same rules as the US models!:confused:

It is safe to assume, to a certain degree, that if you found an (OBD-I) 1995 M3 engine/ECU/wiring harness and installed it into your (OBD-I) 1995 ti there would be little, if any, problems.

mooseheadm5
01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
1/95 production and up gets EWS1. Computer has a silver label. Non EWS OBD1 computers have a maroon label. EWS1 can be defeated with EWS delete chip from Turner or similar.
M50 swap:
Also need PS return/cooler line (feed hose is a good idea too.)
Cable from an M50 cruise control (or the whole actuator) if you have cruise.
A/C lines and compressor from a 325
Modification of brake booster hose may be required
Drv lower radiator mount for 6 cyl (same as pass 4&6cyl, only drv side needs to be replaced)
More stuff as I think of it.
-Paul

JoCo
06-28-2007, 05:36 AM
1/95 production and up gets EWS1. Computer has a silver label. Non EWS OBD1 computers have a maroon label. EWS1 can be defeated with EWS delete chip from Turner or similar.
M50 swap:
Also need PS return/cooler line (feed hose is a good idea too.)
Cable from an M50 cruise control (or the whole actuator) if you have cruise.
A/C lines and compressor from a 325
Modification of brake booster hose may be required
Drv lower radiator mount for 6 cyl (same as pass 4&6cyl, only drv side needs to be replaced)
More stuff as I think of it.
-Paul

would that be the same for a 318is?

cev12
09-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Where would one go to find parts? Would junkyards have them? I live in South Carolina if that helps

JoeyBello
09-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I was speaking to a local shop that only does BMW's and Porsche's and the guy told me swapping motors in the TI is too much hassle and money to get it to work properly. Is this true? How many people on this site actually swapped engines? And what were the hours it took and costs for parts and labor. Did it run smoothly or were you constantly fixing stuff etc.

graymae
09-02-2008, 05:12 AM
hey guys, i'm interested into swapping out my engine 4 an m3 engine, but i have an auto and i want to replace it with an auto. Does anyone know if there's anything different needed for this swap than what needed 4 the 5speed swap?

Thanks in advance.

PS- I also have a 98ti 5 speed which i'm also going 2 swap out, just wanted to keep an auto for the wife, but something that has power when i'm driving it 2.

J!m
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello!

My swap manual covers the automatic cars as well as manual (and swapping back and forth- usually to get rid of an auto, but the info is there).

Please check the for sale section for info on ordering. It is a sticky post, right at the top.

Thanks for the interest!

graymae
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
thanks Jim, i'll definately pick 1 up.

J!m
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Sounds good!

I'll keep an eye out for your order.

I try to ship the same day as the order; weekends I often have to ship the following Monday...

graymae
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds good!

I'll keep an eye out for your order.

I try to ship the same day as the order; weekends I often have to ship the following Monday...

hopefully in the next few weeks i can buy 1, i really need it. thanks

J!m
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
No problem!

The great thing about the manual is, the longer you wait, the better it gets.:cool:

I have added tons of info since the first copies went out, based on feedback from other purchasers who have done the swap.

The down side is that all my costs keep going up, so every once in a while I raise the purchase price.

BUT I always give plenty of warning before I do, so those last minute purchases can be made...

And remember, when you buy the manual, you get "tech support" from me to work through the problems you might have, via e-mail and/or phone. Since I currently charge $40.00/hr for working on vehicles, that alone is a great deal...:smile:

graymae
09-03-2008, 02:23 PM
No problem!

The great thing about the manual is, the longer you wait, the better it gets.:cool:

I have added tons of info since the first copies went out, based on feedback from other purchasers who have done the swap.

The down side is that all my costs keep going up, so every once in a while I raise the purchase price.

BUT I always give plenty of warning before I do, so those last minute purchases can be made...

And remember, when you buy the manual, you get "tech support" from me to work through the problems you might have, via e-mail and/or phone. Since I currently charge $40.00/hr for working on vehicles, that alone is a great deal...:smile:

Thats an awsome deal i think.

BMW_Hatchback
03-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Question for J!m I guess (or anyone who knows),

Scenario.

I have a 96 OBDII m44, and I find a good complete s50 conversion for sale that comes with:
Swap includes:
Engine Long Block(from oilpan up) W Wiring Harness
5spd Manual Transmission
Alternator
Starter
AC Compressor
Key+EWS& ECU
Air Flow Meter
Midpipe W Cats
Stock Airbox

would any native m44 modules need to be converted to OBDI since I wouldn't buy an EWS/ECU, or harness seperate from the orignal complete s50 conversion. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M3-S50-3-0L-Complete-Engine-5spd-Manual-Swap_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem180333489880QQitemZ180333489880QQptZMotorsQ5fCar Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Cliffs: swap OBDII M44 out for OBDI EWS/ECU/Harness that comes with complete S50 swap (motor, tranny, EWS, ECU, Key, Harness,)

would it bolt right up if all the OBDI junk is originally from the S50 bought.

J!m
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
You may have some issues with EWS and other wiring incompatibilities, but in a nut shell, it will work OK and you will not have the EWS (Driveaway Protection) working at all when you are done.

Note that the car will also not meet emisions standards for the 1996 model year; however since 96 was sort of a cross over year, you MAY be able to pull the wool over the inspector's eyes and have it tested as an OBD-I... Likely not, so I asume your state does not do emission testing.

If it is a track car, no problem!

BMW_Hatchback
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey Jim, I bought an OBDII m52b28 instead. It comes with all the wiring accessories. Do you have some manuals in stock?

J!m
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
PM sent...

tiKid
11-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Does this look legit? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1464903815.htmlNot interested, just wondering..

cooljess76
11-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Does this look legit? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1464903815.htmlNot interested, just wondering..
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1464903815.html
Your link was messed up, but I found it. What exactly do you mean by "legit"? Yeah, the listing looks real if that's what you're asking. However, I wouldn't even consider buying a motor from someone on the other side of the country. After shipping, tranny/harness/ecu/ews alignment & various misc components, you're looking at > $3000. Best bet is to buy a wrecked M3 locally or as close as possible. This way you'll have almost everything you need, all from the same car and most importantly you can start it up and hear it run before you buy it.

tiKid
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1464903815.html
Your link was messed up, but I found it. What exactly do you mean by "legit"? Yeah, the listing looks real if that's what you're asking. However, I wouldn't even consider buying a motor from someone on the other side of the country. After shipping, tranny/harness/ecu/ews alignment & various misc components, you're looking at > $3000. Best bet is to buy a wrecked M3 locally or as close as possible. This way you'll have almost everything you need, all from the same car and most importantly you can start it up and hear it run before you buy it.

I was just saying it looked cheap compared to the others I've seen.

Shellback
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM
First thing I noticed during my swap are the plugs that are part of the main wiring hareness. My compact has 2 round plugs, but the donor engine has 3.

BMW_Hatchback
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
First thing I noticed during my swap are the plugs that are part of the main wiring hareness. My compact has 2 round plugs, but the donor engine has 3.

1+ me too

Marv17
01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
i've always had three plugs, with the M44 ti and now the S52 ti.

Shellback
01-20-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm confused. :confused::confused:
I will take another look under the hood, but I could swear I only had 2 plugs with my current setup (1998 M44). My question is, when I remove the M44, it will have 2 “female” plugs in place. Then when I install the S52, it will bring along with it 3 plugs. Once the S52 is in, I will have one extra S52 plug hanging with nowhere to plug into the 318ti electrical system.

Am I supposed to also drag the entire wiring system out of the donor vehicle? :eek::eek::eek:
Please look at image #1. That is taken from the 1997 M3. It has 3 plugs. The second image is the S52 on an engine stand, waiting to be installed in the 318ti. It obviously also has 3 plugs. That middle plug (has a white ring inside the plug) will be connected to nothing if I install it in the 318ti.

wolferj-RIP
01-20-2010, 11:40 PM
The automatic cars and harnesses have 3 plugs... My M50 swap motor was from an auto car, and had that extra plug. When I had to source another harness, I got one from a manual, and no extra plug! Oh, and my ti came with a 5-speed manual...

Shellback
01-21-2010, 02:56 AM
I think I found out what is wrong. Looks like the mysterious second plug actually is still there, but it must’ve fallen through its mount and resting bellow.:rolleyes:
Sorry if I jumped the gun! :redface:I know, I freaked out this early in the project, could you imagine what it’s going to be when I insert that key for the first time after the swap:eek:

Shellback
01-21-2010, 02:58 AM
more images...

cooljess76
01-21-2010, 03:00 AM
That's actually where that connector is supposed to be. It's attached to the ABS pump.

Marv17
01-21-2010, 04:08 AM
nope, that plug is supposed to be there like Jess said. not sure what the 3rd plug does but when i looked at harold's, hugo's, and bobbak's ti they only had 2 plugs and I had 3. only logical guess that we came up with of why i had 3 plugs b/c it was an automatic. my m3 had three plugs too, so i dunno what it would be.

BMW_Hatchback
01-21-2010, 04:13 AM
pretty sure my m52 is manual harness, and I have 3. What is that plug for in auto cars?

Shellback
01-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Ok, one thing I know: the donor car (M3 which is mine and bought back from insurance) is a 5 speed. The ti is also a 5 speed. I also confirmed it by deciphering the VIN # (both manual trannys).
Anyway, I'll re-check tomorrow. The mysterious 2nd plug thriller continues....:x

Edit....looking at J!m's manual, page 19 also shows his ti as having 2 plugs

wolferj-RIP
01-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Sorry, but I am not sure what it does. Also, mine is OBD1, so there may be differences I don't know about...

BMW_Hatchback
01-21-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks Tony,

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/bluebimma/Engine%20Swap/wiring.jpg

Bluebimma
01-21-2010, 05:04 AM
ASC

Shellback
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Good morning,
Well, the questions continue as I slowly prepare for the big day.

Questions:
1) I read the engine will be almost vertical (using engine leveler on engine joist) while installing the engine/tranny as a one piece unit into the compact. Will this unusual angle be of any harm to the engine? I understand the engine will only be in the configuration momentarily as it is slowly inserted into the compact, but was curious if this will hurt the engine. BTW, all fluids have been drained.

2) Since I’m using the S52 and my M3 transmission, do I also use the shifter/linkage? I believe the manual mentions the shifter/linkage had to be cut down.

3) Since my donor car is a E36 M3 5 speed sedan, I’m not going to have much of a problem as J!m ran into when he used MZ3 as a donor, correct. I read somewhere else the sedan parts are compatible/direct fit into the compact.

4) I’m a bit hung up on the instructions (I believe page 17 on the manual) on removing/deleting the traction control. My M3 has ASC. Does this mean I will not be installing the ASC into the compact? I’m still confused on this part of the installation. This also goes back to the original question I asked about the compact having 2 “pin” plugs and my S52 engine having 3 “pin” plugs, in which I was informed the 3rd plug on the S52 is for the ASC system.

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s help and patience when. I’ve never started a project like this and I’m really excited and anxious to see how it will turn out.
Thanks again.

BMW_Hatchback
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Good morning,
Well, the questions continue as I slowly prepare for the big day.

Questions:
1) I read the engine will be almost vertical (using engine leveler on engine joist) while installing the engine/tranny as a one piece unit into the compact. Will this unusual angle be of any harm to the engine? I understand the engine will only be in the configuration momentarily as it is slowly inserted into the compact, but was curious if this will hurt the engine. BTW, all fluids have been drained.

Remove the hood and you should be okay.

2) Since I’m using the S52 and my M3 transmission, do I also use the shifter/linkage? I believe the manual mentions the shifter/linkage had to be cut down.

Use the linkage, but the arm has to be bent in a larger curve so the shifter sits flush in the interior

3) Since my donor car is a E36 M3 5 speed sedan, I’m not going to have much of a problem as J!m ran into when he used MZ3 as a donor, correct. I read somewhere else the sedan parts are compatible/direct fit into the compact.

No matter sedan or coupe, all E36 motors shouldn't need any custom mounting.

4) I’m a bit hung up on the instructions (I believe page 17 on the manual) on removing/deleting the traction control. My M3 has ASC. Does this mean I will not be installing the ASC into the compact? I’m still confused on this part of the installation. This also goes back to the original question I asked about the compact having 2 “pin” plugs and my S52 engine having 3 “pin” plugs, in which I was informed the 3rd plug on the S52 is for the ASC system.

Bluebimma has laid out what to do about to get ASC out of the way in his DIY, but I don't think anyone has come up with an answer for it yet.

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s help and patience when. I’ve never started a project like this and I’m really excited and anxious to see how it will turn out.
Thanks again.

All in all, it sounds like you should make a thread

Bluebimma
01-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Dont remove the hood, there is a service mode built into the hood that allows you to lift the hood almost to the windshield.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Tnichols/1996%20Sport%20Ti/Ls1%20Engine/DSCN2406.jpg

BMW_Hatchback
01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
LOL didn't know that, thats pretty neat

Shellback
01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
yeah, I found out about the service position on the sedan I'm parting.

J!m
01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Shellback:

If you have specific questions feel free to send me an e-mail. What is interesting is that some items (like the service position on the hood) is covered in the manual, but you seem to have missed it.

"yeah, I found out about the service position on the sedan I'm parting."

Anyway, as a manual owner, you get free assistance from me, so you might as well use it!:wink:

The connectors under the hood look identical and plug in to one another just fine; however the individual pin outs have to be corrected between the two cars- hence the wiring diagrams. That is the big PITA of the swap for sure. It is different for just about every configuration too- so you REALLY need to understand the wiring diagrams and make the changes to get everything on-line. I can help get you going with this as well when you e-mail or call.

ABS will work fine; ASC will not. This is also detailed in the manual. (although ASC could be made to work, it is a big project...)

Transmission linkage is covered in detail. If you keep the ti tranny, you can either cut yours (specific, detailed instructions are in the manual for measuring correctly and cutting) or replace it with another (part numbers are in the manual for this). If you use the M3 tranny, use the M3 linkage with it. That is the simple solution.

To all current and potential swap manual owners:

There is a lot of information crammed in this manual. Please read it several times over before starting.

I am happy to answer any clarification questions you may have because you own the manual. What I then do (for all questions asked by all purchasers), is I add further detail to the manual to make it better. Continuous improvement!

But, posting here like this makes it appear that I have omitted important information from my manual, and although it is far from perfect, I have gone to great lengths to make it as good and complete as I possibly can.

Shellback
01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
J!m,
You are right - my apologies. I will send individual, manual specific questions to you. BTW, your manual is awesome! I would've NEVER dived into this project without it.

I will document the rest of my progress on my own "build" post.
I want to thank everyone above for answering my questions and pointing me in the right direction. Your help and encouragement helps folks like me who have never tried anything like this. Let the swap continue....

J!m
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
No problem!

I did not mean to come off as bashing you; I just wanted to make you (and everyone else) aware that I am here for you (and all other manual purchasers) to get you guys on the road. And also to point out that the manual really is CRAMMED with info. I did my best to organize it, but I realize that there are some intertwined subjects in there and sometimes it jumps around a little bit. I am working on improving that as well.

My phone number and e-mail are right in the front of the manual, so you can call or e-mail any time. I'll answer as soon as I can in all cases. This goes for ALL manual purchasers!

And, thanks for the praise on the manual! I'll add it to the testimonials in the For Sale section!:tongue:

jae_rex
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Hello Jim. I am now in the process of having my motor shipped, but would like a final rundown of parts, before the shipper gets rid of the donor car. Can you give me a quick list of everything. Here is what he is shipping me:

- motor (99 M52)
- motor mounts
- wiring harness
- gauge cluster
- axles
- EWS
- chips from the keys
- ECU
- radiator
- Is there anything I missed?

Also how do I go about purchasing your manual? I will need this before I start, and even before the motor is shipped. Thanks in advance.

Bluebimma
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Clutch, flywheel, hoses, fpr if your car is 95 or 96, gas lines for new fpr if needed...

Bluebimma
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Also only z, e30, and ti axles work.

J!m
03-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Hello Jim. I am now in the process of having my motor shipped, but would like a final rundown of parts, before the shipper gets rid of the donor car. Can you give me a quick list of everything. Here is what he is shipping me:

- motor (99 M52)
- motor mounts
- wiring harness
- gauge cluster
- axles
- EWS
- chips from the keys
- ECU
- radiator
- Is there anything I missed?

Also how do I go about purchasing your manual? I will need this before I start, and even before the motor is shipped. Thanks in advance.

Hello Jae.
The key chips are not a lot of use to you... It is easier to just have the EWS alignment done by the dealer; however the alternative is to swap ALL the locks from the donor car, and use the donor car keys.

If you are running A/C you need those hoses (which you may want to get new) and also the Power Steering hoses. I assume/hope all the accessories are on your donor engine as well....

Ordering information is a sticky in the North America FOR SALE section right here!

Good luck with your project!

jae_rex
03-03-2010, 11:30 PM
OK. I will check on the sticky to order the manual a.s.a.p. I will be reusing my Gtrag tranny from my 97 Ti. Will that be an issue?

Bluebimma
03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Power steering setup as well. Getrag will be just fine make sure you run the corresponding flywheel with clutch

jae_rex
03-03-2010, 11:54 PM
So its not a straight bolt-on? Will I need to get a clutch and flywheel for a Gtrag tranny for a 328i?

BMW_Hatchback
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
There are plenty of threads around here that have that info, I know blubimma has one up somewhere. I edited what you'll be needing to start off with

- motor (99 M52 equipped with all accessories I assume?(M52 PS pump+hoses, 6 cyl AC stuff, ect)
- motor mounts
- wiring harness
- gauge cluster
- EWS module (from behind glove box)
- chips from the keys
- ECU
- radiator (your stock 4 cyl rad will work)
- Stock getrag tran or ZF (source a new 328 clutch kit to be on the safe side)
--If you want the ZF you'll need:
--linkage, shifter, 328/m3 driveshaft,
don't worry about ASC or cruise

BMW_Hatchback
03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Hello Jae.
The key chips are not a lot of use to you... It is easier to just have the EWS alignment done by the dealer; however the alternative is to swap ALL the locks from the donor car, and use the donor car keys.

If you are running A/C you need those hoses (which you may want to get new) and also the Power Steering hoses. I assume/hope all the accessories are on your donor engine as well....

Ordering information is a sticky in the North America FOR SALE section right here!

Good luck with your project!

If he can get the matching key chips and EWS module I would go for that over alignment or swapping locks. :cool:

Bluebimma
03-04-2010, 01:32 AM
I meant, you need to install the corresponding clutch to its flywheel. 1.9 with 1.9, 2.8 with 2.8, 3.0 with 3.0. They have different disc diameters and are not interchangable.

J!m
03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I meant, you need to install the corresponding clutch to its flywheel. 1.9 with 1.9, 2.8 with 2.8, 3.0 with 3.0. They have different disc diameters and are not interchangable.

That is correct, and good advice.

AND I suggest changing the radiator to a six cylinder one, and not rely on the four cylinder one (even more so if the radiator is a used one!).

Yes, it will work; however it is not of the ideal capacity to cool the six, particularly if you delete the aux fan which seems popular (and I also don't suggest that either- get the aux fan working!).:biggrin:

Bluebimma
03-05-2010, 01:50 AM
People have different opinions and such about the cooling system and what to use. Personally, its been just fine for the past 4 years on all three of my tis. Measuring its core vs the cubic inches of the I6, the 4 cylinder radiator has more than enough capacity and cooling abilities to keep the I6 under control. True, its a good idea to have a fan, but ive been fanless and 4cyl radiator equipped since ive had a 6 near my car(s).

1 square inch of radiator surface vs a cubic inch of engine displacement.

J!m
03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
1 square inch of radiator surface vs a cubic inch of engine displacement.

I don't doubt it works, it has been documented to have worked many times now. I recommend against it for maximum reliability. As the saying goes: "Your mileage may vary":wink:

However you are a bit off on your radiator calculation. (and I am not sure how much, but...).

The radiator internal VOLUME may be only a cubic inch more; however the cooling surface area is SUBSTANTIALLY larger- all that folded aluminum between the (slightly longer) water pipes makes a BIG difference. The six radiator has a better ability to reject heat than the four.

Not starting a war; I just wanted everyone to understand that there is a more significant difference between the radiators in spite of their appearance.:smile:

jae_rex
06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I am using a M52 of out a 99 328is. My buddy has a old M44 out and we are a bit confused. Will I need all of the items on page 28 of Jim's swap guide? What can be reused from the M44.

Thanks.

J!m
06-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I sent you a direct e-mail reply, Jae. (but in case you don't get it)

Since the list is for an M3 engine, and you are using a 328 engine, you need all those CORRESPONDING parts from the 328.

I hope that's clear for you!

If you have the 328 car, you can recycle a lot of parts from the car. If you only have the engine, you need to get the other parts. The list is there because the ti parts on that list do not work with a six under the hood.

The A/C is different
The Power Steering is different
The cooling system is different
The electrical (of course) is different\
The Suspension is different

jae_rex
06-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jim. I will look up the corresponding parts list for a 328, instead from an M3. Im still waiting for my mounts, so I do more rereading in the meantime.

Jae

J!m
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
No problem, Jae!

I want your swap to be a success!

Dachabs
06-24-2010, 06:03 AM
hey jim Im just gathering information for maybe an e36 M3 engine or a 328 e36 engine but my Ti is a 97 so it must be an OBDII. So would it be easier for the swap to convert it into an OBDI?
Thx in advance
Dachabs

J!m
06-24-2010, 01:14 PM
That is sort of a chicken-egg debate.

I would first check your local emission laws with regards to using an older engine in a newer car- California for example, does not allow this. The engine must be the same model year, or newer, and must meet the emission standards of the newer year.

I also recently heard that Connecticut does not allow the use of any other engine- a replacement engine must be the same size, same production year and same displacement! Not a well enforced regulation (and I would have been 'grandfathered' anyway) but you should check to see what is OK before you start. No idea if this is "law" yet or not, but just an example...

Personally I would keep it OBD-II. Try to get the same year donor car as the ti (97 in your case) as it makes things slightly easier.

Dachabs
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Ok thanks Jim and in quebec we don't have any emission laws here so. Thanks for the hint too you seem to know what your talking about and it looks less complicated when you explained it.(tried some of my friends and they got no clue since they got civics and golfs and think that a v-tech is the best 4 pot engine...in the world.)

PS:Theres a guy in my province who cut a civic in 2 and put it on the lower half of a Subaru chassis and he was able to insure it and get all tje paper work done on it haha

J!m
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
In that case, you may want to see what kind of deals you can get on an engine or complete car.

That will likley be the deciding factor...

angel318ti
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
what do you guys do with the donor car after you are done with it? I often wondered and thats the main reason I never swapped.

cooljess76
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
what do you guys do with the donor car after you are done with it? I often wondered and thats the main reason I never swapped.

There's metal recyclers that will come to your house and pick it up. Some even pay you a few bucks.

1996 328ti
06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
what do you guys do with the donor car after you are done with it? I often wondered and thats the main reason I never swapped.Make it a Car-B-Q.

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/car_2Db_2Dq_small.jpg

angel318ti
06-28-2010, 02:29 AM
There's metal recyclers that will come to your house and pick it up. Some even pay you a few bucks.

what's ballpark for a wrecked car though.. I see some people asking up to 5-6K.

Make it a Car-B-Q.

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/car_2Db_2Dq_small.jpg

lol, nice

cooljess76
06-28-2010, 05:52 AM
what's ballpark for a wrecked car though.. I see some people asking up to 5-6K.

I paid 3k for my '98 M3 with front end damage and 100k miles. I kept the motor, tranny, front brakes, cluster, wiring harness, exhaust and a few other odds and ends. Parted out the rest and made a little over double my money back between the two cars. Lol, I'm with Steven on the car-B-Q though:tongue:

BMW_Hatchback
06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
car-B-Q is pretty legit if you ask me 8-)

J!m
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
They happen pretty frequently here on the Northern Parkway... Not exactly as shown there, but...

angel318ti
06-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I paid 3k for my '98 M3 with front end damage and 100k miles. I kept the motor, tranny, front brakes, cluster, wiring harness, exhaust and a few other odds and ends. Parted out the rest and made a little over double my money back between the two cars. Lol, I'm with Steven on the car-B-Q though:tongue:

Ok I think I will pull the trigger next time a deal comes my way.

Shellback
10-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Quick question....I know...SEARCH!
Do I need to use the donor's cluster?
Current ti has 160K miles
Engine/tranny/cluster/etc... from the donor has 77K
I'm pretty sure J!m covered it in the manual but I left it at work...

Project is still going slow. I'm currently enjoying my "new" e46 touring w/ sport package & 5 speed!

wolferj-RIP
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Need to, no... Should you, yes. Primarily, 4cyl tach will read incorrectly.

BMW_Hatchback
10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Need to, no... Should you, yes. Primarily, 4cyl tach will read incorrectly.

this is true, the revs will read higher

ask me how I know

J!m
10-11-2010, 02:09 PM
It's nice to have the engine mileage properly recorded, and if the cluster matches the DME you won't get the TMU light either. Not a big deal at all, but using the cluster makes for what I call a 'cleaner' install.

Shellback
02-14-2011, 02:24 AM
I will go ahead and install the M3 cluster from the donor car. As was stated earlier, if I had kept the original 318ti cluster (which had aprox 150K miles) and added the S52 engine/ECU (which had aprox 77K miles), that would’ve activated the TMU light. What would the odometer reading be? 150K or 77K?
Also, what happens when I sell the car? Will there be a discrepancy on the paperwork?

Now I have a different question. :rolleyes:
How do I remove the hose/valve from the booster? This is from the donor car and I will need the hose and valve.
Thanks again for all your help. :smile:

J!m
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
You have to cut the clamp off the hose.

Install the M3 chexck valve and hose.

I could not get my check valve out (without destroying something) so I left the ti valve and used the M3 hose. Works fine. Just be sure the hose is not pinched (and clamps are tight- use regular hose clamps) what ever you end up doing.:wink:

jae_rex
02-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Jim, the guys found the manual and after lining up the EWS, car came to life! Just some codes to work out. Right now, we have a connector pipe running from the stock M52 header to the stock Ti exhaust. What do you guys do with exhaust? Should I just have the shop fab some 2.5 piping and run a vibrant muffler? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

J!m
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I figured it was EWS from what they were saying...

For the head pipe, run the 2.5 exhaust. After the cats, make up your own. That seems to be the easiest way to go.

Or, if you want a bit better flow, find a stock M3 exhaust (headers and cats) and fab up a dual set from the cats back.

In the manual I detail what I did, and you could do the same.

This keeps the lambda sensors happy too, so no annoying codes later...:wink:

Platanos
07-17-2011, 04:54 PM
What SSK will fit the ti with s52 and zf? I tried reusing the ti shifter but its to short. Do I need e36 m3 kits?

slow_ti
07-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Yea. I'm pretty sure you have to get m3 stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Platanos
07-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Cool, Chris had mentioned he used M3 for his but I just wanted to verify and see if there are any other options...I didn't realize ssk were so pricey :eek:

Thanks for the quick reply!!

slow_ti
07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm. I remember reading something that said you needed m3 specific stuff. And yea. I'm really strting to look at parts now for my swap and I wanna do the best SSK from UUC. It's like 300 bucks hahah. I'm sure it's worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spapexn17
04-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Ok Here we go. I am swaping a 1994 325IS motor and bits into my 96 318Ti so, I have already swaped over the ECU and instrument cluster and engine harness plus a Turner Chip w/M3 cams. my quesion is do I need to do anything with the STUPID EWS? Will my car start if I am swapping eveything over and basically make it a 1994 Ti? a little help is appreciated!

Shellback
04-16-2012, 12:51 AM
The EWS part of the equation only applies to the host vehicle (1996 318ti), correct? I believe the donor parts will not be an issue since they didn't have EWS? Sorry I'm no help but there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who will chime in.
Best of luck.

spapexn17
04-17-2012, 03:08 AM
i appreciate your input. In my thinking I have the same thoughts as you do.

pat
06-07-2012, 12:26 AM
hi guy im new to dis i have a 98 ti try to swap s52 into it wat do need to do im goin to keep my ti gear box dat make it easy to swap need some helpe

iCONIC318
11-13-2012, 05:12 AM
any one know where to find J!M manuel :biggrin:

Trip_Douglas
11-19-2012, 06:17 PM
What year of how can you tell OBDI or OBDII?

wolferj-RIP
11-20-2012, 03:23 AM
What year of how can you tell OBDI or OBDII?

US BMW m/y 1995 is OBDI, m/y 1996-1999 are OBDII.

islandtime
11-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I have another exhaust question. The first post says an E46 330 muffler and an M3 mid section. I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket rear section exhaust and using the M3 aftermarket mid pipe. I'm just wondering if this is a custom weld up kind of thing or if the M3 system is close enough to the 330 setup that the rear section will mate to it as designed.

Aaron_497
07-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm assuming you have to have an m3 differential if your using an m3 drive shaft and transmission correct?

wolferj-RIP
07-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm assuming you have to have an m3 differential if your using an m3 drive shaft and transmission correct?

No, e36 M3 diff is large case style (2 Mickey Mouse ears). Ti can only accept small and medium case diffs (1 Mickey Mouse ear).

There are a couple of big threads on Differentials here...

96318ticali
06-28-2015, 05:38 AM
If I had a donor Z3 w/ 2.8, could I swap engine, trans, and driveline into my 97ti? I'm curios as the increased hp and tq could damage the ti's stock driveline. I want to know if this is a rather straight forward swap since both cars use the E30 rear suspension before I abandon rebuilding my 1.9 and jump into this. Thanks

teetime4one
06-28-2015, 02:24 PM
If I had a donor Z3 w/ 2.8, could I swap engine, trans, and driveline into my 97ti? I'm curios as the increased hp and tq could damage the ti's stock driveline. I want to know if this is a rather straight forward swap since both cars use the E30 rear suspension before I abandon rebuilding my 1.9 and jump into this. Thanks

Yes, direct swap.

96318ticali
06-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Thanks, If/when I jump in I'll try and post progress.

dominic.roy1110
10-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Someone can help me here? About my 318ti 97 with m44 and I would swap a M52B28 OBD2. The m52 harness wiil be bolt-on on the X20 plug? Should I make modification? That is my only questioning about this swap ! Thank you

dominic.roy1110
10-28-2015, 01:51 AM
I have :

M52b28 from 328i 98
M50 Intake
M3 Exhaust cam
M3 DME with EWS and Key and socket
M52 harness
Transmision
Driveshaft
6 cyl rad
Motor mount
New spark plug
new heak gasket and vanos rebuilt
I think it that !

Deeznutz
10-28-2015, 03:12 AM
A couple of things mentioned in the thread that I hear conflicting info about and this is a swap I'm attempting myself
1. Drive shafts-i was told by another person who did the swap that they used front half of m3 driveshaft and rear half of Ti driveshaft to mate up to a medium case diff can anyone confirm this?
2. Ews can be flashed out of ecu with aftermarket tune no realignment necessary
3.was told that ob2 wiring harness is plug and play, what problems come up with using automatic harness with manual swap car, and what pins if any needs to be moved on x20-x10 connector?
4. Was told that rear muffler section of z3 2.8 will fit, unsure if center section m3 actually fits because car is shorter than coupes sedans
If anyone can chime in it would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

dominic.roy1110
10-28-2015, 03:34 AM
Thank you ! no problem for the exhaust ! I will make a full custom stainless exhaust. And I have already my 3.23 small case lsd. I will be gentle with it while waiting for my custom medium case lsd. Thank you very much

Redneckdrift
01-20-2018, 01:18 AM
I know it's been a couple years since someone posted in this thread, but what about going with a stand alone engine management? I'm planning a drift 318ti, so I'm not too worried about passing emissions (not that we do that here). I was looking through AEM Electronics, and they have a ton of options for their harnesses, just have to know what style sensors the engine uses, what kind of injectors can be used (Ford or GM), idle controller, etc.

apexspeedtech
01-23-2018, 08:15 PM
I cannot recommend the AEM, I was a dealer of theirs for over 10 years but have gone away from that after numerous issues. Their harness options won't help you muh with a 318ti and they struggle with 60-2 crank triggering. It looks good on paper but the system architecture is dated and it shows when you try to use it.

This is what I do (www.apexspeedtech.com) and I don't use this forum to promote my business, its about my personal car and interests. That said, here's my advice for you to consider:

1. ECU: The Link Atom II provides much better technical features, great technical support and is price-competitive with the EMS 4. If you can afford it, a MOTEC M84, its a good value.

2. Injectors: I only use Injector Dynamics. Paul Yaw is the injector guru. Don't take my word for it, google it.

Feel free to ask anything else.

-Neel

tougebmw318ti
03-04-2018, 07:09 AM
do you need the sames things in the list with an M52 swap???

J!m
03-06-2018, 02:45 AM
do you need the sames things in the list with an M52 swap???

Yes

turbobaja
05-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Power steering setup as well. Getrag will be just fine make sure you run the corresponding flywheel with clutch

I need help! I hear you are the guy I need to talk to. If you have time I have 96ti running S52. I am installing a stock getrag250 and am encountering clutch issues. I have M3 s52 disc,plate and bearing. Slaves are from ti manual car. Will this work? Seems at full pedal clutch is not engaging barely at all. If ou can call me 480-239-3068 I would love to know which parts will allow the 250 trans work with S52 engine in my car. Thanks B.B.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okiefromwatonga
08-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Ok everyone newbie here to the BMW world and have a question about one I'm looking at. 1996 318Ti auto. Car was broken into and the steering column is tore up. Everything else is in hood shape. Found a 1995 325 Coupe with the inline 6 and manual tranny that's been t-boned. My question isn't so much the 6/Manual swap as it wiring. As I understand it 95 was the last of OBD1 and 96 was the beginning of OBD2 how much of a wiring nightmare am I looking at swapping the 6 /Manual into the 318ti? Thanks in advance for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Omega
05-31-2020, 11:28 PM
My parts list is growing...

olong_us
04-14-2023, 06:08 PM
Can you please send me a copy of your manual to alexsautoworks@gmail.com. Thank You

J!m
04-14-2023, 06:39 PM
I need help! I hear you are the guy I need to talk to. If you have time I have 96ti running S52. I am installing a stock getrag250 and am encountering clutch issues. I have M3 s52 disc,plate and bearing. Slaves are from ti manual car. Will this work? Seems at full pedal clutch is not engaging barely at all. If ou can call me 480-239-3068 I would love to know which parts will allow the 250 trans work with S52 engine in my car. Thanks B.B.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need the M3 slave with the M3 pressure plate. You can keep the ti master if you want to.