PDA

View Full Version : ???? for European Ti owners????

clex2
11-24-2005, 04:34 AM
Does your fog light switch have 2 positions, one for turning on the front fog lights and the second to turn on the rear fog light? Or is there a single position that activates both front and rea fogs at at the same time. I know on the e36 coupe and 4dr you can indepently control front and rear fogs but the US ti only gets front fogs. Thanks in advance.

1996 328ti
11-24-2005, 05:48 AM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG71&mospid=47455&btnr=61_0098&hg=61&fg=35
SWITCH FOG LAMP AND FOG TAIL LAMP
I do believe it is a two position. Different part numbers.

John Firestone
11-24-2005, 08:08 PM
The regulations state that you must be able to turn off the rear fog lights independently of the front fog lights. To achieve that, in position 0 the lights are off; position 1 turns on the front fog lights; and position 2 turns on both the front and rear fog lights. I hope that answers your question.

davep-uk
11-24-2005, 08:37 PM
mine definately has 2 positions.

1 for front fogs and 2nd pull for the rear.

GREX1969
11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
2 positions for me too. Pull once for front and a second time for rear. I've been using them quite a bit recently as it's be foggy almost everyday!

clex2
11-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Thank you all for your input.

aceyx
11-27-2005, 06:50 AM
clex2; are you adding a rear fog? It's a royal pain.

clex2
11-27-2005, 06:58 AM
Aceyx,

Actually, I have added a rear fog light to my 330ti using an e30 euro dual fog light switch in the panel to the left of the steering column. I forgot where I got the schematics, but in all honesty, it was very easy. That's coming form someone who has done so many mods to his ti, I could probably take the front dash apart in my sleep. There is a fuse and a relay invovled, all connected to the front fog light via the main fuse box. One wire from the front to the drivers' side light. Basically wired up like the factory did it. I even went so far as to source a Euro cluster with the rear fog indicator (don't ask why).

I have a second ti that's basically stock, and was wondering about the factory 2 position fog switch. Will I add it to the second ti......I guess if I get bored I might. Like I have said, I enjoy the process of modding cars, even though some will argue how useless a rear fog light may be.

1996 328ti
11-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Like I have said, I enjoy the process of modding cars, even though some will argue how useless a rear fog light may be.There have been a few times I would have liked a rear fog light. Put doubled up brake lights come in handy every day.:biggrin:

cali-ti
11-27-2005, 04:01 PM
There have been a few times I would have liked a rear fog light. Put doubled up brake lights come in handy every day.:biggrin:
damn ... i gotta do the doubled-up brake light mod one of these days, i keep forgetting! be perfect to do now while the weather is cold (and i can't paint or do other things like that i need to outside).

L84THSKY
11-27-2005, 07:25 PM
I have clear corners, side markers and clear rear lights coming. The first thing I'm gonna do is mod the double brake light on the rear, prior to installing.

damn ... i gotta do the doubled-up brake light mod one of these days, i keep forgetting! be perfect to do now while the weather is cold (and i can't paint or do other things like that i need to outside).

cali-ti
11-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I have clear corners, side markers and clear rear lights coming. The first thing I'm gonna do is mod the double brake light on the rear, prior to installing.
just finished the mod. now ... does that spot take single or dual filament bulbs?

1996 328ti
11-27-2005, 10:56 PM
just finished the mod. now ... does that spot take single or dual filament bulbs?Single.

aceyx
11-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Clex2; I did it to my automagic ti, but that was pretty much my first wiring attempt. As such, it was pretty ugly.

I did KC Daylighters (on my jeep) before that, but that was easy because everything was on the outside.

It does come in handy though. I put it on because I used to run through the Pocono Mts in PA all the time, where fog and snow could make conditions pretty bad. These days, I just strap a xenon flasher (for cycling, jogging) on the roof racks if it gets bad.