PDA

View Full Version : Alarm / Keyless entry recommendation and sticking lock pin

Ruste 318ti M-sport
11-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Guys,

worringly my '98 318ti doesn't seem to even have a basic alarm/imobiliser fitted. i am now looking for any recommendations as to a cost effective system to fit. my car currently doesnt have remote central locking and i would like a system that incorporates that feature.

Also, i had the door panel of the other day (fixing my window which suddenly broke and fell down in the door) and there is a spare wire for some sort of retrofit device taped to the splash guard. any ideas what this is for? it seem to be connected to the central locking wire bundle so could this be for retrofit remote central locking?

Finally - can anyone offer any suggestions on why the lock pin may be sticking halfway down when locking? this prevents the lock from fully engauging and therefore 'pops' either fully up or down (approx 50/50% of the time) when the handle is lifted either fully locking the car or simply opening the door.

thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards, R

1996 328ti
11-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Also, i had the door panel of the other day (fixing my window which suddenly broke and fell down in the door) and there is a spare wire for some sort of retrofit device taped to the splash guard. any ideas what this is for? it seem to be connected to the central locking wire bundle so could this be for retrofit remote central locking?Could be for the side airbag.

WuDoo
12-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey Ruste, as you are asking about alarm issues, can I add a question as well? :smile:

For the ones that have the factory (or equal) E36 Alarm, what are all the features / specifications of this? I tried getting this answer from dealers but they never answer emails. I can close all the windows and sunroof using the key when locking, will the BMW E36 alarm close them too? How much did you pay for the E36 Alarm?

Thanks!

L84THSKY
12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Steve is correct, my car has the same thing. I plan on adding side impact airbags

Also, i had the door panel of the other day (fixing my window which suddenly broke and fell down in the door) and there is a spare wire for some sort of retrofit device taped to the splash guard. any ideas what this is for? it seem to be connected to the central locking wire bundle so could this be for retrofit remote central locking?

Juni
12-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey Ruste, as you are asking about alarm issues, can I add a question as well? :smile:

For the ones that have the factory (or equal) E36 Alarm, what are all the features / specifications of this? I tried getting this answer from dealers but they never answer emails. I can close all the windows and sunroof using the key when locking, will the BMW E36 alarm close them too? How much did you pay for the E36 Alarm?

Thanks!

As far as I know, you cannot do that. That feature only works because of the chip inside your key is talking to the cars computer. The actual remote for the car alarm is not capable of transmiting that signal wirelessly.

John Firestone
12-02-2005, 12:35 AM
That would be a charming system but BMW didn't do such fancy things at the time they designed the car. The key closes an old fashioned mechanical switch sensed by the ZKE (central module) which then closes up the car. Aftermarket alarms can do the same by applying +12V over the alarm connector to the ZKE's remote control lock input for a similar length of time.

Unless someone has seriously altered the engine and ignition electronics, the car already has its EWS-II (drive away protection) system, a coded, self-arming immobilizer that has proved to be very effective in reducing theft rates in Europe.

Cute. Running the mouse pointer over EWS pops up a definition – which is not quite right. EWS is short for "Elektronische WegfahrSperre" or electronic drive away protection, not "Electronic Watchdog System".

aceyx
12-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Alarm questions:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6418

As for the lock pin, do you still have your door panel off? The pin is actually a long (6-8") wire. It may be bent, or the actuator may be mis-aligned. Try screwing on the plastic piece tighter as well.

If I'm not mistaken, sometimes the door locks when you use the door handle to open it?

WuDoo
12-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Hum,

Thanks for all the info, might go after an aftermarket one then... :wink:

Ruste 318ti M-sport
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
thanks for all your help guys, i plan on doing some further investigating at the weekend re lock and alarm (looks like i'll be going for the plug and play as recommended) will let you know how i get on.