PDA

View Full Version : Some noice

318ti_IL
11-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I have some strange noice somewere under the car (not shure where), and this is only happen when is outside temp. lower than 30F. If is warmer then that - nothing. I went to my friend (he have his service shop) and he drive the car just for test because he was so busy whole day to check whats goin on. He wasn't so sure what can be but he says "I dont think is transmision bacuse car shift more than great (allways about 2.500 rpm's - cold or warm), noice is not strong (hardly to notice), happen only on temp. 30F or lower, and gears dosn't lose power ever (or slide)" I dont know much about that but thats what he told me. I have '97 318ti with 74K miles on it. Just wanna ask you guys what you think about bacause i know you are friendly people who want to help, and you have expirience with those cars. For me personaly i have feeling like when is some arm frosen or something, but still i'm litle concerned about that. Noice is gone after couple feets and dosn't come back by next (very cold) morning.:confused:

Just to add noice is like "tik, tik, tik" but very silent and slow.

1996 328ti
11-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Is the tick when your drive or at idle?

Does it happen in reverse?
I had a driveshaft load bearing go bad and heard a tick tick in reverse.

Brake pads?
Maybe they are stuck to the rotor?

Tires?
Just by sitting you can flat spot a tire and it takes a little while for the tire to reform. But that would be more of a thud thud thud.

Does a M44 have VaNOS?

cali-ti
11-30-2005, 03:39 PM
any idea WHERE the sound is coming from? it could just be the exhaust pipes expanding and such as they get warm/hot.

aceyx
11-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Also, is the rate of the tick determinant with engine or road speed (and which one)? That should help narrow it down.

Does it go away when the engine gets to operating temp or is it constant with ambient temperature?

It's damn near impossible for a shop to replicate a problem you're having. The best way to get around this is to take it to a shop as it's happening. Just drive by, and ask them to come out and listen.

318ti_IL
12-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Ticks only when i drive for first couple feets then is dissapear.
This is happen in drive and reverse (both) but like i allready told ONLY if is outside temp lover than 30F.
I wasn't shure but i think is comin' from the midle of car but sometimes i do have felling that is coming from front right wheal. Just to let you guys know i allready did change joint bals. Also this happen only in very small speeds. Sound goes away after couple feets of driving. I try to give it to my cousin to move car forward and rewerse but i didn't hear nothing out even if i was realy close to car. Only way how i hear this is to be in the car. Dosn't telling much, right?

1996 328ti
12-01-2005, 04:59 AM
My money is on center load bearing or flex disk.

cali-ti
12-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Ticks only when i drive for first couple feets then is dissapear.
This is happen in drive and reverse (both) but like i allready told ONLY if is outside temp lover than 30F.
I wasn't shure but i think is comin' from the midle of car but sometimes i do have felling that is coming from front right wheal. Just to let you guys know i allready did change joint bals. Also this happen only in very small speeds. Sound goes away after couple feets of driving. I try to give it to my cousin to move car forward and rewerse but i didn't hear nothing out even if i was realy close to car. Only way how i hear this is to be in the car. Dosn't telling much, right?
does it tick when it's sitting in park? or only when moving (for the first short distance)?

if it ticks while in park, turn the car on and then get out and see if you can determine where it's coming from.

if you have to be moving, i would try pulling up the rear seat (maybe take it out of the car completely before starting or moving the car) and then see if you can identify it better that way while someone else slowly drives the car.

it's always hard to figure out things like this ...

aceyx
12-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Guibo!

318ti_IL
12-01-2005, 06:54 AM
does it tick when it's sitting in park? or only when moving (for the first short distance)?
NOT in the parking, even not in any other gear when car dosn't moving.
And YES is for the first short distance.
By the way how car goin' and how transmission change gear i dont think is transmission. That's most importing thing for me to now. You guys also think is some other problem, do you?

My 318ti
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4682/318tiil32sm.jpg

andrewsarg101
12-01-2005, 09:38 AM
my car makes a click noise with each rotation of the tire. we idled the car on jack stands and the noise is coming from the tranny. its i clicks until i get above 30mph or so.

Blackie
12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Mine sounds like the front tires are rubbing when the temp is cold but the tires are not rubbing. It lasted for about 100 yds or so, but it sounds pretty bad when I first turn out of the parking lot. Any ideas what this might be?

cali-ti
12-01-2005, 06:24 PM
only when turning? could be brakes dragging initially, wheel bearings ...

Blackie
12-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I thought i might be the wheel bearings but in that case shouldnt do the same thing in warmer weather? Is there a DIY for replacing the bearings?

only when turning? could be brakes dragging initially, wheel bearings ...

John W
12-01-2005, 06:42 PM
FWIW, the rear calipers on my Nissan Sentra stick when it gets cold outside. I aslo had to replace the right front caliper on that car a couple of years ago because it would stick interimittently. Pull your wheel and check for abnormal wear on the brake pad. I'm definitely not sure this is your problem, but it's worth a look. And while you're in there, inspect the suspension and brake sensors and lines.

cali-ti
12-01-2005, 07:02 PM
I thought i might be the wheel bearings but in that case shouldnt do the same thing in warmer weather? Is there a DIY for replacing the bearings?
likely. i would also think you'd get the noise when turning (putting load onto the bearings that are bad).

as John W said, i would check the brakes. you may be getting drag initially. try cleaning and lubbing the caliper pins.

cali-ti
12-03-2005, 04:24 AM
flex disk = guibo = #1 in this diagram?

center load bearing = #12 in this diagram?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=26_0105&hg=26&fg=10

anybody replaced either one of these? while working under my car, i noticed my guibo (assuming it's the universal joint, item #1 in the diagram), has some cracks in it. doesn't appear to be too bad, but i can either do it now or when i do the flywheel and clutch next year. my center bearing also looks a little worse for the wear. i'll post pics in my gallery and edit this post once i get 'em up.

TIA

cali-ti
12-04-2005, 08:03 PM
here's what my universal joint looks like: http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1038&size=big&cat=530

anyone know if the small cracks warrant replacement?

cali-ti
12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
For the guibo/flex disc stuff, there's a decent writeup here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm
aceyx sent me this and it's a great write up for both the guibo and the center bearing replacement. looks like i'll be doing both since i'm all up in there already anyway. going to try to do motor and trans mounts at the same time too.

318ti_IL
12-09-2005, 05:35 PM
here's what my universal joint looks like: http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1038&size=big&cat=530

anyone know if the small cracks warrant replacement?
Depends what warriant company and protection plan you have. One dealer told me they (warriant company) DO cover transmission and part for her if there is cracks and if anything broken. If there is no dammage like that and trany is dosn't work (transs. slide) they DO NOT. So if anything broken or cracked i think they will pay for it. But if you have some friends in some car shop ask them what they think. Same thing for other parts in warrianty.

aceyx
12-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I think "warrant" in this case is used to mean "require" or "justify," not denoting an warranty.