PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

95~318ti~96~teg
12-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Hey guys i currently own a 96 acura integra. Well my engine blew and im getten sick of her. I'm thinkin bout sellen the teg after i fix the motor and buying a bmw. I'm looken at a 95 318ti and im really fallen in love with it. Just wondering were are some good sites for parts and **** for them.
Also i would like to know the results u have from your beemers, maybe some drastic news, good news, comparison to a 96 teg ls. Basic stuff like that. Thanks guys

cali-ti
12-01-2005, 04:25 AM
i don't know about ****, but there's plenty of places for parts :tongue: really depends on what you're looking for, performance parts, replacement parts, etc. people on here have done a lot of different things to their cars so it's usually just a question away when you're looking for something in particular. we have people from bone stock all the way through full suspension (m3 front, mz3 or m-coupe rear), engine/trans/diff swaps ... serious electronics and stereo mods ... all sorts of stuff :)

there's a good sticky thread in the suspension section for starting points on mods, including replacing some weak points (ball joints, rear shock mounts are two i can think of).

the 95s are OBD I and therefore easier to mod (not as many computer controls, sensors, etc and less restrictions).

the general consensus on here is that if you keep up with the scheduled maintenance, the cars are very reliable. a fair number of people are now over 200k (including me). there are a number of threads asking these same basic questions so i would do a search on something like "reliability" and start reading :)

PettitWC
12-01-2005, 05:27 AM
yo man there's all kinds of stuff you can throw on your car from like a million different places. you can check out bavauto.com or turnermotorsports.com or bmpd.com umnitza.com understeer.com
those are just off the top of my head but check em out

Juni
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
If you really want to get a broad view of what is availiable, go to ebay, and do a search........keywords 318ti, BMW Compact, E36/5. Then also try the german version of ebay with the same keywords, you'll be quite surprised i'm sure.

95~318ti~96~teg
12-01-2005, 09:03 PM
thanks guys..... like how much do u like your 318? just wondering to see how these cars are like. Also maybe some common problems u may get

cali-ti
12-01-2005, 09:55 PM
i love my ti. had it nine years.

common problems: (1) ball joints (2) rear shock mounts (3) window regulators ... about all i can think of off the top of my head. first two can be fixed pretty easily and more or less permanently with (1) solid metal ball joints (2) upgraded rear shock mounts and reinforcements. kinda have to live with (3)

aceyx
12-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Going from FWD to RWD is both a boon and a curse. No torque-steering, and more predictable, but at the same time you have to learn that the back end can break traction, and what that limit is.

Also, "Beemer" is a term used for BMW motorcycles. Bimmer is for cars.

95~318ti~96~teg
12-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Yea im a lil concerned from going from fwd to rwd and the roads up her get pretty bad but i will prob get studded tires like my teg has for winter.

madfronter
12-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Yea im a lil concerned from going from fwd to rwd and the roads up her get pretty bad but i will prob get studded tires like my teg has for winter.

You'll be fine in PA with the weather contitions and RWD. Don't worry about that. I live in PA and havent had any issues driving in the snow and I just use all season tires. What part of PA are you from?

95~318ti~96~teg
12-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Erie....we got punded by lake affect snow. Jan. and Feb can really suck at times.

Tyler
12-01-2005, 11:57 PM

I live in New England and we get hit pretty hard sometimes with snow and the ti drives fine. I've had mine about 4 1/2 yrs and this is the 1st year i'm getiing snow tires. I have a hike to work compared to previuos years and want to be on the safe side.