PDA

View Full Version : All-season tire recommendations

PENVermillion
12-01-2005, 09:31 PM
With my last car, I used to have a set of 3-season tires mounted on my "good" rims, and a set of snow tires mounted on my "winter" rims. That's the best way to go, IMO, but I just bought a '95 318ti that needs tires, and I'm trying to be a bit more frugal this time. So, I'd like to just get a decent set of all-seasons and see how that works out. I'm not looking for anything too exotic - I have stock 15" rims.

If I had to prioritize the things I'm looking for in a tire, it would look something like this:

1. Dry/warm weather traction
2. Noise
3. Wet/snow traction
4. Tread life
5. Price

I've checked out the reviews on Tirerack, but of course every tire has both glowing reviews and horrible reviews. The bottom line is that a tire that is great on one car might be horrible on another, so I was hoping to get input from people that have cars similar to mine. What do you say?

aceyx
12-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Where are you located (how bad is the snow)?

L84THSKY
12-01-2005, 10:12 PM
I did the same thing with my Ti, when I got it. I have 15's with all seasons, and 17's with performance tires.

I also have a set of stock steel rims with caps that came with the car. If you're interested, I can sell you those rims cheap. Are your current 15's steel with caps, or allow?

With my last car, I used to have a set of 3-season tires mounted on my "good" rims, and a set of snow tires mounted on my "winter" rims. That's the best way to go, IMO, but I just bought a '95 318ti that needs tires, and I'm trying to be a bit more frugal this time. So, I'd like to just get a decent set of all-seasons and see how that works out. I'm not looking for anything too exotic - I have stock 15" rims.

If I had to prioritize the things I'm looking for in a tire, it would look something like this:

1. Dry/warm weather traction
2. Noise
3. Wet/snow traction
4. Tread life
5. Price

I've checked out the reviews on Tirerack, but of course every tire has both glowing reviews and horrible reviews. The bottom line is that a tire that is great on one car might be horrible on another, so I was hoping to get input from people that have cars similar to mine. What do you say?

PENVermillion
12-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Where are you located (how bad is the snow)?

I'm in central Missouri (Columbia). We get some snow, but it's not the huge deal that it is in more northern areas. Last winter I had full snow tires on, but I think I only actually drove on snow two or three times. We had a bit of an easy winter last year, though, so this one might be a little worse. Still, it's not so bad that I'm convinced I need full snow tires. Everyone I know gets away with just using all-seasons, although admittedly, they mostly drive FWD cars, which probably helps.

I also have a set of stock steel rims with caps that came with the car. If you're interested, I can sell you those rims cheap. Are your current 15's steel with caps, or allow?

My current rims are the 15" alloys. I know 15" wheels aren't exactly in vogue right now, but I actually think they look fine. I appreciate the offer for the steelies, but then I'd have to buy 2 sets of tires, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. :)

aceyx
12-02-2005, 02:30 AM
I also have both winter & summer wheels, but I usually get caught in the white stuff at least once or twice.

If your roads get really slick when it rains (I noticed this when moving to the midwest) then I suggest going that route. I'm not sure if the asphalt compound is different out here, but I definitely wouldn't trust all-seasons on them.

The only all-seasons I can give a review on this car are the Kumho ECSTA ASX (poor), Michelin Energy MXV4 (okay, but not recommended) and the Conti Touring Contact CH95 (better).

Based on other cars I've driven, Bridgestone All-Seasons seem to work best.

PENVermillion
12-02-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't think our roads are unusually slick here in Missouri. They don't salt the roads, though, which is good for the car, but can mean a little extra snow driving.

The only all-seasons I can give a review on this car are the Kumho ECSTA ASX (poor), Michelin Energy MXV4 (okay, but not recommended) and the Conti Touring Contact CH95 (better).

Based on other cars I've driven, Bridgestone All-Seasons seem to work best.

That's the kind of information I was hoping to get with this thread, thanks. I'm glad you said something, too, because the Kumho ECSTAs were one that I had been considering.

needle332rur
12-06-2005, 01:19 AM
I bought falken zeix 512's and can not believe how good the snow and ice traction is for a relatively high performance tire. And i only paid $80 each. I figure i only drive in snow 4 or 5 days a year i can deal w/ out switching my tires to snows and having crappy handling for the whole winter.

Tyler
12-06-2005, 01:31 AM
I bought Dunlop Sport A2's about 2 1/2 yrs ago which is an all season tire and i was sattisfied with them. I'd recommend those to you,i get alot more snow than you. But this year i'm going with the snow tires since last year sucked for me with my commute to work.

sparkchaser
12-24-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm in central Missouri (Columbia). We get some snow, but it's not the huge deal that it is in more northern areas.

Sweet. I live in Kansas City but try to make it out to Columbia once a month.

PENVermillion
12-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Sweet. I live in Kansas City but try to make it out to Columbia once a month.

If you see an Alaska Blue ti in KC on the 27th, that might be me visiting my brother - he lives in Lee's Summit. :)

After poring over reviews for tires for a ridiculously long time, I ended up with a set of Falken Ziex 512's. I got them ridiculously cheap from discounttiredirect, too:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?mk=&yr=1995&sw=false&cs=205&pc=28866&rd=15&vid=000158&ar=60

$47 each, with free shipping! They sent me the wrong size, though - I ordered 205/60 R15, and they sent me 205/50 R15. They took care of it pretty well, though - I called them, they saw the problem, and they sent a UPS guy to pick the tires back up. Once the tires were on their way back, a new set of proper-size tires were sent.

So, no big deal, but it set me back a week, and as a result, I haven't gotten the new tires mounted yet (they just showed up yesterday). Hopefully I'll get them on soon, and they will perform as expected.

sparkchaser
12-24-2005, 06:00 PM
If you see an Alaska Blue ti in KC on the 27th, that might be me visiting my brother - he lives in Lee's Summit. :)

I am in Overland Park.

DeadpaN
12-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S -----> tirerack around 100/tire
You could prove me wrong, but I haven't read a bad review of this tire. I have em on my car and love. I havent' been able to squeal these things yet around a corner.

tastade
02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I am considering 5 right now, all for 225/50/16:
Avon Tech M550 A/S, $89 ea
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, $101 ea
Continental ContiExtremeContact, $108 ea
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, $156 ea
Kumho ECSTA ASX, $69 ea

Those are the top 5 rated tires (in order from 1st to 5th) from Tirerack.com for "Ultra high performance all season" tires. Those tires were all rated above 90% v. best in class.

twomato
02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I been running Bridgestone RE 950. Great in all seasons and reasonably priced.

Go to Car and Driver article from a few months ago. They liked the Hankook tire for the price.