PDA

View Full Version : Noise when turning left

buckowens
12-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

I have a recently purchased 1998 with about 102,000 miles. When turning left at any speed, I am hearing and feeling (through the automatic shifter), a vibration that coincides with vehicle speed. It does seem to be more noticeable now that the weather has turned cold. I have seen the other similar posts, and was wondering about the thoughts as to the center bearing being the culprit. The car was taken to the dealer at about 87,000 miles for the same complaint and they were not able to duplicate the problem.

I leave for Iraq in a few weeks so I am not sure whether I will get it fixed quickly. I am considering taking it to the dealer again if it is not something I can easily fix.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

cali-ti
12-04-2005, 06:34 PM
seems more likely to be wheel bearings to me (front left). if you put the front up and turn the front left wheel, how does it feel?

Tyler
12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
How do the front tires look,is there considerably more wear on oneside than the other? That would kind of hint which side it's on.

buckowens
12-04-2005, 07:54 PM
The tires are almost new. Would the wheel bearings transmit the vibration up through the shifter? I will have to try to get it on a lift this week and have a look.

bluebastion
12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey, I am the one who posted the problem a while back.. can't remember if I did it under my original name (C4-C)... yeah, I'm actually an old schooler here. The noise does go away when it gets warmer... and I have not been able to pinpoint exactly what/where it is. But no doubt it comes more from the shifter area. It's not a wheel or ball joint problem it seems. I think it may have something with the catalytic converter.. but I'm not sure yet. You might what to check that out first if you are willing to bring your car in for a seemingly elusive event. It always happens it seems when it gets to the 40's and the car is just warming up... then goes away after few minutes. Let me know what comes of it... if you plan on doing something about it.

cali-ti
12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
The tires are almost new. Would the wheel bearings transmit the vibration up through the shifter? I will have to try to get it on a lift this week and have a look.
i guess you can check the driveline too ... motor mounts, trans mounts, universal joint/guibo, center bearing ... i'd check all wheel bearings as well. from some things i've read, it can be difficult to determine what wheel bearing is bad and the sound can transmit throughout the vehicle.

can you explain what you mean by the vibration being speed dependent that you feel through the automatic shifter?

buckowens
12-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. The rate of the vibration increases or decreases as the speed does. Almost feels like something is rubbing, except if I had to characterize the noise I would call it a click more than anything.

cali-ti
12-05-2005, 06:55 AM
just trying to figure out if it's a driveline issue why it would happen when you turn left. :confused: i'm guessing you were looking at the "noice" thread as well, right? i'm going to replace my guibo (some cracking is occuring) and center bearing (good amount of rust and over 200k miles on it) while i'm in there anyway (cat and muffler dropped, all heat shields removed). figure it's good protection if nothing else (and i'll get experience doing it).

snwbrdrbum10
01-24-2006, 04:35 AM
I have the same problem...and i dont know what it s either...when i'm about 75+ and switch lanes to the left. i get a shimmy, and @ slow speeds turning sharp left, i get a click too...so idk..any other ideas? Ball joints?

1rstbmw!
01-24-2006, 04:38 AM
I have the same problem it goes away when it warms up it's not the cat I cut mine off and it still does it.

snwbrdrbum10
01-24-2006, 05:11 AM
Mine warms up and is frine too...except @ high speeds...doesnt really matter@ 75+ shimmy still occurs

KetteringTi
02-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Anyone: Take the car to an open area. Get it to make the noise, and keep it at that steering angle, speed, etc. so the noise stays consistent. Then put the pedal to the floor. Any difference?

SDKmann
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I have the same problem. I think that its because Im running out of power steering fluid. It seems that the noise starts when I take 90 degree corners without slowing down enough. Im going to put some more power steering fluid (oil) in soon and Ill tell you if it makes a difference.

Juni
02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I have that same problem. With me, the sharper the turn to the left, the fast and louder the clicking noise gets. It only happens in cold weather. I really have no clue what it is. The odd thing is that it only makes the noise when its cold, and only when tunrning left. My bro in law thought it might be a loose tie rod. My left one is loose, I just havent had a chance to get her on the lift and replace the rack and add the new tie rods.

andyman7931
02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Im going to put some more power steering fluid (oil) in soon and Ill tell you if it makes a difference.

be sure to use ATF

michaelhofastcar
02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Same thing with mine. Freaking cold morning, making sharp left turn, noise is reproducible. Interestingly, everyone here has problem on left turn only. Very mysterious ...

twomato
02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Checking in, me too. Left turns only. Replace right front wheel bearing?

michaelhofastcar
03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Anyone so far has an answer to this left turn noise problem?

Juni
03-03-2006, 04:02 AM
No Answer here. My Bro in-law is a certified BMW mechanic and he has no idea what it is. We were able to recreate it, and his thoughts were loose shift linkage. I don't know.

buckowens
03-16-2006, 01:02 AM
As a follow up to my original post. I took the car out of storage yesterday, and to a very experienced independent BMW garage locally. Only thing he could find was a part of the shield for the drivesahft was actually rubbing. He cut it away. In my mind it explains the feedback through the shifter, but not the left turn portion. We have a few more cold days left here so I'll keep you all posted.

SDKmann
03-16-2006, 02:17 AM
I thought I had to change the ATF before but now I dont think its that but an engine problem in my case. I think its a engine problem now because after I turn left to start the noise there is a small reving sound that goes with the reving of my engine. I dont get any shifter feed back becase its an auto but when I turn left and the noise starts I get feedback through the steering wheel like something is rubbing. Dose this discription match anyone elses problem?

michaelhofastcar
03-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I thought I had to change the ATF before but now I dont think its that but an engine problem in my case. I think its a engine problem now because after I turn left to start the noise there is a small reving sound that goes with the reving of my engine. I dont get any shifter feed back becase its an auto but when I turn left and the noise starts I get feedback through the steering wheel like something is rubbing. Dose this discription match anyone elses problem?
I have that reving sound when noise comes out on left turn, I think that is the power steering pump noise.

Skizo
03-21-2006, 03:49 AM
hey
I have the same problem and i think im gonna drain the fluid and put a new one to see if that helps ( and because its really black , its got to go )
Does anyone would know how much atf i would need to do all this :confused:
thanks

cali-ti
03-21-2006, 04:49 AM
quart should be fine.

Skizo
03-22-2006, 12:51 AM
thanks cali-ti

michaelhofastcar
04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Finally discovered the reason for my left-turn noise problem:
1. Low on power steering fluid
2. Front left lower ball joint is loose

b.u.ti-ful
10-16-2006, 12:39 AM
To revive an old thread, I just fixed my left turn noise.

Don't know if everyone's noise is the same, but I narrowed mine down to the exhaust heat shield over the passenger side wishbone support.

It is where the exhaust first comes down from the engine compartment under the car. There is a shield between that pipe and the wishbone support - I gave it a twang and it made the sound - a few Moe Howard brain surgeon whacks with a hammer and its gone.

Hallelujah.

Tony323
10-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Hi everyone
First time poster. I had the same problem with my car (1996 318TI) when the temp would drop below 30°. Turn left when cold and the car would make a noise like cards stuck in bicycle spokes. The noise would rise and fall with vehicle speed and would go away when the car was warmed up. I figured out that the noise was coming from the blanket type of heat shield between the body and transmission. I brought the car into the garage during the winter and put it on jack stands. I noticed that when cold, the blanket contracted and would rub against the guibo. It was rubbing hard enough to wear a hole through the insulator. I took the car out, warmed it up till it no longer made the noise, then brought it back into the garage. When I checked it again, the insulating blanket was pretty far away from the guibo. I used nylon wire tires and strapped the blanket back and have not heard anything since. I hope this helps someone else.

Tony

jtkratzer
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
I just had a similar problem, was more of a clunking noise, only when i turned the car to the right and while on the gas. coast through a right turn, no noise. mechanic said to check the sway bar links. it ended up being the exhaust. I bought an oem replacement and the pipe was just slightly different from the factory pipe and the mechanic heated and bent the pipe for about 35 bucks. no more noise.

theinfiniteface
11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I have the same problem. I think that its because Im running out of power steering fluid. It seems that the noise starts when I take 90 degree corners without slowing down enough. Im going to put some more power steering fluid (oil) in soon and Ill tell you if it makes a difference.

I had this same problem, sure enough, my power steering fluid reservoir was almost dry! I filled it up and sure enough, the awful grinding noise went away.

jtkratzer
11-06-2006, 03:56 AM
I had this same problem, sure enough, my power steering fluid reservoir was almost dry! I filled it up and sure enough, the awful grinding noise went away.

That also happened, but it was more of a squeaking noise, but not high pitched. it's amazing how a car runs better when it has properly filled fluids and the right parts.

98ti-cali-m
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Did anyone start having this problem after hitting a large pothole? I do feel vibration in the gearbox and get a humming noise. Didn't start until I hit a pothole.

buckowens
01-23-2007, 04:27 PM
My mechanic found out that my noise was coming from a piece of metal under the car. I did not see exactly which piece it was, but it also came through the automatic shifter handle.

98ti-cali-m
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Buck

Did you take it to a BMW dealership or a local mechanic?

Thanks

buckowens
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
To a local BMW CCA member garage. It was apparently a minor job as I don't even recall an entry on the bill.

iqvkucuh
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
i have the same problem last couple years ago...
i finally solve my problem for cleaning my wheels, sounds really stupid but i did it...
first reaction i have when i find it out the noise, i thought is my tire's problem, but actually is not the tire problem, it is the salt on the road, it gets more and more on your tires and it make those sound by pushing your car forward, especially when you drive a auto...
so try to clean your wheel and tell me what happens...

michaelhofastcar
01-26-2007, 07:56 PM
My noise problem was solved after adding power steering fluid.

Ji Money
01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Man, I got the same noise problem when I turn left only. Sharp 90 degree turns. I even feel vibrations on the stick shifter sometimes.

I didn't really know how to describe the problem to post about it. I'm glad I found this thread.