PDA

View Full Version : my abs light is on

colombiano
12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
what can i do that anybody knows what to do or what it does can you guys help me please thanksconfused:confused2: :help:

bimmer95
12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
It could mean a few different things, none good really. If it's been on for a while, like days, it's indicating a fault in your ABS system. One "common" E36 problem is the wiring inside the ABS solenoid until failing. That unit is ~$500 to replace, but the wiring can be repaired instead if you handy with a soldering iron.

If you've been out sliding around in the snow today and in the process the light came on, you may have just confused the system to the point that it just shut itself down. If that's the case, it should resets itself after a couple start ups.

Your local BMW dealer can run a diagnostic to tell what the fault is. I haven't seen any tricks to read the errors out without a MODEC system.

DustenT
12-21-2005, 09:51 PM
If you've been out sliding around in the snow today and in the process the light came on, you may have just confused the system to the point that it just shut itself down. If that's the case, it should resets itself after a couple start ups.

This happened to mine a couple times in really deep snow. I think the wheel speed sensors get screwy from the snow.

Try disconnecting your battery, let it sit for 1/2 half hour, then hook it back up.

colombiano
12-22-2005, 06:56 AM
thanks for your help.

mischief
12-22-2005, 07:10 AM
what can i do that anybody knows what to do or what it does can you guys help me please thanksconfused:confused2: :help:

is that the same light that tells you your brake pad a worn

bmwracerchick
12-22-2005, 08:00 AM
my light is on...I just dont have ABS brakes for the moment and im not 100% sure whats wrong with it, all I know is I can stop, I dont live in an area that requires ABS unless it rains, and I dont have the money to fix it if its something major, as long as I can stop I could care less. If you feel you cant live without the ABS or your in an area you would feel much safer with it get it checked out from someone who has the machine to hook it up and the code to diagnose it...thats just me I just hate the light always being on because its bright orange...evil

bimmer95
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
is that the same light that tells you your brake pad a worn
No, it's not.