PDA

View Full Version : good lube for LSD?

cali-ti
12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
anyone know if this is a good lube for an LSD? i'm not sure if the bottom statement means it has the necessary additives for LSDs or not ... color me confused :confused:

All viscosities of Max-GearŪ are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=518,378,363_3221&action=product

if it is good, what weight should i get? i think i used 75W90 redline originally when i did the swap.

DustenT
12-15-2005, 10:00 PM
anyone know if this is a good lube for an LSD? i'm not sure if the bottom statement means it has the necessary additives for LSDs or not ... color me confused :confused:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=518,378,363_3221&action=product

if it is good, what weight should i get? i think i used 75W90 redline originally when i did the swap.

I'm using Mobile 1 75w90 in my LSD with some generic Napa LSD additive. It seems to be holding up great.

cali-ti
12-15-2005, 10:03 PM
generic?:eek:

if i was going to do that, i'd use my lubromoly gear oil + additive. i'd really like to know if this royal purple stuff has the additive. why can't they just say DOES or DOES NOT work with a LSD? i hate that shizat ...

DustenT
12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
generic?:eek:

if i was going to do that, i'd use my lubromoly gear oil + additive. i'd really like to know if this royal purple stuff has the additive. why can't they just say DOES or DOES NOT work with a LSD? i hate that shizat ...

If it doesn't say, then it doesn't have it.

AlaskaBlue
12-15-2005, 10:08 PM
I've got Redline 75w90 SN that is going in Monday. I will see how that goes. the SN is supposed to increase the lockup.

cali-ti
12-15-2005, 10:17 PM
i'd have to look to see what redline i have currently. i'll try to do that this afternoon.

found the additive Dusten mentioned if anyone's interested: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7652597&Description=Gear+Oil+Additive

cali-ti
12-15-2005, 11:31 PM
ok, i used redline full synthetic 75w90 hypoid gear oil. it states on the bottle that it should be slick enough even for LSDs not to need any LSD additive. mine doesn't chatter with this stuff. i'm guessing the royal purple full synthetic i linked to would be fine as well. AlaskaBlue, what oil do you currently have in your LSD?

clex2
12-16-2005, 12:21 AM
I have Royal purple Max-gear 75w90 in my M6 LSD. This is what Ben Liaw has been putting in his cars. If it works for him, it works for me. The website sates it's got additives for LSD's

"All viscosities of Max-GearŪ are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary."

cali-ti
12-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I have Royal purple Max-gear 75w90 in my M6 LSD. This is what Ben Liaw has been putting in his cars. If it works for him, it works for me. The website sates it's got additives for LSD's

"All viscosities of Max-GearŪ are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary."
ok, thanks for the translation because i wasn't sure if that meant it had the LSD additives or not, lol. when i read the bottle for my redline synthetic gear oil and it said it was fine for LSDs, i was figuring the royal purple would be also. thanks for confirming clex!

guess i'll be going royal purple in the trans and the diff.

AlaskaBlue
12-16-2005, 12:24 AM
AlaskaBlue, what oil do you currently have in your LSD?

Currently it is whatever BMW put in it. My dad doesn't remember if they have ever changed it or not. He was (still is sort of) the only other owner of the car before me. I'm hoping that it has been changed, but it still would have had whatever the dealer put in it.

I have 160k miles on the stock 3.45 LSD and it is going strong still.

DustenT
12-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Remember lubrication is your friend!! Adding some additional LSD additive probably won't hurt.

L84THSKY
12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
I have 2 bottles of the same. They are going in my 3.45 LSD with M-coupe cover, when I get around to installing it.

I've got Redline 75w90 SN that is going in Monday. I will see how that goes. the SN is supposed to increase the lockup.

cali-ti
12-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I have 2 bottles of the same. They are going in my 3.45 LSD with M-coupe cover, when I get around to installing it.
is that just the synthetic or what is SN? i have redline synthetic in there now.

L84THSKY
12-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Need to check, I''ll get back with you.:smile:

is that just the synthetic or what is SN? i have redline synthetic in there now.

Panzer_M
02-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Redline, I need to go check the weight again the garage.

plan on using Redline in the tranny as well.

tastade
02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Doesn't the differential call for plain ATF Dexron II (or equivalent)?

Edit: No, it does not. It calls for brand name hypoid oil.

DustenT
02-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Doesn't the differential call for plain ATF Dexron II (or equivalent)?

That would be the actual transmission or gear box which is located directly under the shifter. The differential is at the rear between the rear wheels. The diff takes gear lube, the tranny takes ATF.

tastade
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Are you sure? I could swear my owners manual says ATF for both. I will double check tonight.

NOTE: After checking, the book says to use brand name hypoid oil in the differential and Dexron II ATF in either the manual or automatic transmission.

DustenT
02-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Are you sure? I could swear my owners manual says ATF for both. I will double check tonight.

I could be wrong (it seems to happen a lot :))

ATF seems rather thin for diff lube. I use like 75-90 mobile 1 in the diff.

tastade
02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Dexron III (Which is suitable for Dexron II applications) is about equivalent 10w-20 motor oil or 75w-80 gear oil (according to Esso). So slightly thin.

My question is: does the LSD require different oil than the non-LSD differential?

DustenT
02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Dexron III (Which is suitable for Dexron II applications) is about equivalent 10w-20 motor oil or 75w-80 gear oil (according to Esso). So slightly thin.

My question is: does the LSD require different oil than the non-LSD differential?

I think everyone uses "better" oil just because of the work out the LSD can get. You also need to use oil specifically designed for LSD, or an LSD additive.

NOTE: LSD additive can be found at most parts stores. I know for a fact that Napa carries their own brand. That's what I use with the 75-90 mobile 1 gear lube.

tastade
02-25-2006, 01:19 AM
I looked at my book again. It does NOT say to use ATF; I remembered wrong. Good thing I checked this first before changing. I updated my other posts so someone doesn't try to put ATF in their diff.

The book says "Use brand name hypoid oil" in the final drive unit (LSD).

tastade
02-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Do you really need to use the LSD additive with the Mobil 1 75w90 full synthetic? It is rated for "extreme pressure" which translates to "suitable for hypoid applications". It should work fine without the additive? On the website they say the LS 75w90 is excellent for limited slip applications and reduces chatter. Is that different from the standard 75w90?

Anyway, has anyone ever used Lucas oil products? If so, how is the 80w90 Heavy Duty Plus gear oil? (it is for LSDs and hypoid gears).

jflip2002
02-26-2006, 07:16 AM
I actually work at napa here in san luis obispo.... I'd recommend "lubeguard" lsd additive. It comes in what looks like an over inflated plastic pouch. Use that with some redline 75-90 or whatever you prefer. I've never seen a napa/mac brand lsd additive.

andy
02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
I just use M1 Synthetic 75W90...after racing the car a few years, ripping the bushing, and getting it hot enough to bubble over slightly the diff still works fine.