PDA

View Full Version : Clutch swap???

Hard_Ti_Fool
12-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Would it be worth installing a proformance clutch and a flywheel to a Ti tranny? Are the gains worth the money?

cossieturbo
01-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I purchased the UUC Stage 2 setup which included the 91-93 factory M5 clutch. When I crunched the numbers vs. a new factory 318ti setup I came up with about the same price. If you think you can get away with just putting a new clutch on the old Dual-Junk Flywheel, think again. So many odd driving issues can be connected to this strange design when it's aged. In short, if you do it right the UUC kit cost the same and is 10lbs overall lighter. Plus the UUC setup will hold more power. I just had it installed and I will post a review soon. All the best to you.

cossieturbo

318tibimmer
01-31-2006, 09:13 PM
I put an Alum. 10lb flywheel and a M3 Clutch disk and Pressure Plate, I was looking at the M5 but there is a problem locating the Pressure plate. I personaly needed to replace mine (burned the old one up). For factory replacment (from BMW) for the stock Flywheel (27lbs) alone was over $780 plus clutch kit and all misc parts. Total cost would have been arround $1200 or so and that is doing my own work. I got my setup from Bimmerworld.com for just under $1000. If you have to replace your clutch you need to replace the flywheel too. I tried machining the flywheel, just caused more problems. The clutch disk was wearing on the mounting bolts for the Flywheel. Go spend the money on an upgraded system if you are going to replace anything. Cheaper and you loose 17lbs of rotating mass = more HP.

Panzer_M
01-31-2006, 09:16 PM
I did a JUN LTW on a D16 Honda EX(2000 Coupe) with 127hp.

Netted to I/H/E, plus some other engine work, the car was quick off the line.
in AutoX it did ok, but it wasn't the M3 or e30 318 I had before in fun or feel so i sold it and got my first Ti, then my 2nd Ti.

But I do say a LTW Flywheel is a good thing, esp if your going for performance.

cossieturbo
02-01-2006, 02:21 AM
"318tibimmer" is right about the factory Flywheel... IT MUST NEVER BE RESUFACED, etc... and when the overall freeplay between the inner and out halves of the Dual-Junk Flywheel exceeds 20mm, it's internals are done.

The nice thing about the UUC Stage 2 is that it's based on the old reliable, tried and true Sprung Disc design. One could replace their setup with an Aluminum Flywheel and a factory M3 clutch, but the M3 Clutch Disc is NOT sprung and thus creates additional driveline abuse, plus noise. Great for racing, a bit much for street. Please understand though that many have used this Light Flywheel with the M3 bits and enjoy it everyday, but if you are into every day street driving I highly recommend the UUC or a similar setup. There are other sources that will set you up with a similar system, but I know UUCs rep and will stick with that. Best to you blokes.

PLEASE SEE MY "UUC Stage 2 vs Stock ti clutch" POST FOR A PIC AND WEIGHTS. page 2.

cossieturbo