PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky Air-Conditioning

dodj
12-20-2005, 01:23 AM
When i turn my A/C on i hear a squeek and slight loss in power, i know that loss of power is normal when first turn A/c on. Also, once the A/c is on the squeek and slight power loss which i can feel very slightly in the accelerator pedal, seems to cycle.

It happens every 20 seconds or so, squeek and very slight twitch in power. Exact same thing as when the A/C comes on for the first time. A/C works fine other than that, Icy cold.

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 01:24 AM
possibly the AC pulley/tensioner?

dodj
12-20-2005, 01:31 AM
thanks cali

yes i was reading another post on A/c and heard some terms which reminded me on my squeeky A/c so i decided to post.

Could you possibly explain to me what the a/c pully/tensioner does? how it works? so it is somehow linked to accelerator? or just the engine which i feel in the acclerator?

dodj
12-20-2005, 01:40 AM
I am curious because i wonder if this is linked to the irregular idle i experience sometimes, i heard the term idler pulley?? The irregular idle seems worse when my A/c is turned up to max, it seems to be related to what level i turn the fan on.....

Gunnails
12-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Belt tensioner pully is visible, and what it does is it keeps tension on the belt, it allows it to flex with the motor and still keep the belt tight. it looks like a pully and is attached to the engine on like a hinge and spring to keep it taunt, the difference in engine power with the fan speed and AC? sounds like an extra then normal load is being put on the engine, maybe even an altenator problem, or bad AC pump.

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 01:54 AM
there is usually some dip in power when the AC engages (and what setting you have determines how often it engages). how big is the drop? of course, it's most noticeable at idle and low revs.

dodj
12-20-2005, 02:01 AM
It is hardly noticeable, in fact if it weren't for the squeek i wouldn't be aware of it. The twitch i feel in the acclerator is very minute but i am poitive it is there, the fact that it happens simultaneously with the squeek is the only thing that let me pick it up. ok so it is normal for it to reingage on a kind of cycle?? i know it drops when it first turns on by can't say i noticed any drops once it is already on in any other car or my car before now.

Is the belt at the front of the engine behind the radiator?? i was in accident and since then idle has been bouncey. The more i think about it i believe the A/c belt or whatever is linked to the irregular idle.

is it possible can the A/c belt pulley or whatever effect the running of the engine. especially the idling of the car. like i said the idle problem is deffinately worse with the A/c on

i'd like to go back to my mecahnic with some correct information, because i believe someone should have fixed my idle problem by now it has been to bmw dealer, and 2 different mechanics.

dodj
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
once again appreciate all the feedback, thanks :)

dodj
12-20-2005, 02:11 AM
oh and i say the squeek and twich in acclerator is most noticeable when cruising on the highway at a constant speed, then i notice it alot easier.

also if im acclerating and it cycles then i notice the drop alot more. like accleration stuters slightly..A/c off then this doesn;t happen.

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 02:24 AM
It is hardly noticeable, in fact if it weren't for the squeek i wouldn't be aware of it. The twitch i feel in the acclerator is very minute but i am poitive it is there, the fact that it happens simultaneously with the squeek is the only thing that let me pick it up. ok so it is normal for it to reingage on a kind of cycle?? i know it drops when it first turns on by can't say i noticed any drops once it is already on in any other car or my car before now.

Is the belt at the front of the engine behind the radiator?? i was in accident and since then idle has been bouncey. The more i think about it i believe the A/c belt or whatever is linked to the irregular idle.

is it possible can the A/c belt pulley or whatever effect the running of the engine. especially the idling of the car. like i said the idle problem is deffinately worse with the A/c on

i'd like to go back to my mecahnic with some correct information, because i believe someone should have fixed my idle problem by now it has been to bmw dealer, and 2 different mechanics.
i think your observation about the squeak and load change when the AC turns on is certainly an indication of where the problem is. there are only a few pieces involved in the AC system as far as effects on the engine so they should be able to determine what it is. the AC belt is indeed behind the radiator. it is the lower belt and is separate from the main serpentine belt. let me find the diagram in the ETK ... one moment!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_3579&hg=11&fg=18

only one pulley/tensioner so my guess would be that or the AC compressor:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=64_0792&hg=64&fg=50

dodj
12-20-2005, 02:37 AM
thanks alot cali!!

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 02:41 AM
did your accident cause any issues in those areas?

dodj
12-20-2005, 02:54 AM
well, the radiator was pushed in and somehow the idle control valve got broken in the accident(which was replaced). If the belt is right behind the radiator i assume it could have been slightly damaged.

BMW did a complete vehicle check and didn't pick anything up. But 90% of the time everything is fine, so i really stumped what the problem might be.

all i can think is it is this which somehow maybe got overlooked. the idle problem only started happening after the accident. so in that respect i can guarentee that the problem is the direct result of the accident, although i have **** all luck proving that to insurance company.

I just want it fixed, very frustrating when i am willing to pay money to fix problem (more of a anoyance than a problem) and no one can tell me what is wrong. and i really can't understand why so many quality mechanics can't fix it, the latest one believes its an auto-electrical problem.

in your experience do you believe the idle problem(very bouncey/can drop very low) could be linked to A/C belt or something in the A/C. or is it not possible?

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 02:58 AM
well, the radiator was pushed in and somehow the idle control valve got broken in the accident(which was replaced). If the belt is right behind the radiator i assume it could have been slightly damaged.

BMW did a complete vehicle check and didn't pick anything up. But 90% of the time everything is fine, so i really stumped what the problem might be.

all i can think is it is this which somehow maybe got overlooked. the idle problem only started happening after the accident. so in that respect i can guarentee that the problem is the direct result of the accident, although i have **** all luck proving that to insurance company.

I just want it fixed. and i really can't understand why so many quality mechanics can't fix it, the latest one believes its an auto-electrical problem.

in your experience do you believe the idle problem(very bouncey/can drop very low) could be linked to A/C belt or something in the A/C. or is it not possible?
i've always noticed a drop in revs when the load increases from the AC coming on and it does cycle on/off as it needs to. whether yours is more than normal, i have no way of knowing. you feel it's more than it used to be before the accident? did you notice the AC load changing on/off before the accident? i've always noticed mine (it's a 4-cyl after all) since i've owned the car from new.

dodj
12-20-2005, 03:07 AM
I honestly say i did not notice it before. I used to be able to turn on the A/c and the idle wouldn't even budge. I know other cars i could feel it when turn a/c on and even noticed drop in the revs

but now if i turn A/C i notice the drop, even sometimes if i turn my lights on i can see a slight drop in the idle. this is not a problem, i can live with that, the problem i have is sometimes the idle will drop to under 500, but of course not always! there are things that i can identify that effect it worse, fan up higher. but again not always!!!

blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im getting frustrated just thinking about it. maybe it is auto-electrical problem, beats me. oh well i still love my baby :DD :DD

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 03:12 AM
hmmmmm ... when you turn the lights on as well ... it could well be what gunnails mentioned then, the alternator. both the lights and AC are putting extra load on. just as an off thought, how old is your battery?

dodj
12-20-2005, 03:14 AM
i replaced the battery 2 months after i got the car . so just under 2 years old

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 03:21 AM
i replaced the battery 2 months after i got the car . so just under 2 years old
wouldn't think that would be bad then. could be something as simple as a bad electrical connection/ground too. the squeak is still tell-tale i believe. if it's your money you have to spend, i'd start with the pulley/tensioner for the AC. push to get it covered by insurance, but i think you'll have to put up a fight.

dodj
12-20-2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah, I know they are going to say it is too late after the incident to claim. Which is my fault, i got bullied by the inurance company over the rear suspension i don't even feel like bother to try and claim this. but then that is what they want, they want you to give up before you even try. so just because of that im going to claim it, hopefully mecahnic can back me up.

can you believe the insurance company rang up and threatened BMW dealer with their inspection on my car which said rear suspension damaged was caused by the accident. I mean WTF these are my insurere, i pay THEM money to look after me, all they would have done is pass the claim on to the responsible drivers insurance company.

And auto-electrician will look at the car next year.

anyway im blabbering on, why am i even at work!!

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I know they are going to say it is too late after the incident to claim. Which is my fault, i got bullied by the inurance company over the rear suspension i don't even feel like bother to try and claim this. but then that is what they want, they want you to give up before you even try. so just because of that im going to claim it, hopefully mecahnic can back me up.

can you believe the insurance company rang up and threatened BMW dealer with their inspection on my car which said rear suspension damaged was caused by the accident. I mean WTF these are my insurere, i pay THEM money to look after me, all they would have done is pass the claim on to the responsible drivers insurance company.

And auto-electrician will look at the car next year.

anyway im blabbering on, why am i even at work!!
they love to take your money, they have to give it away. you may have noticed, some of the only companies building new buildings are insurance companies!

lol ... i hear ya on that last comment :)