PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Replace the Fuel Filter

cali-ti
12-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Article originated from, resides on and is provided by www.pelicanparts.com
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Fuel-Filter/E36-Fuel-Filter.htm

Article originated from, resides on and is provided by www.unofficialbmw.com
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/engine/e36_fuel_filter_replacement.html

tastade
08-26-2006, 10:26 PM
A couple tips. Depressurize the system by pulling the fuel pump fuse (18 in my car) and attempt to start the car for 5 or 10 seconds. Remove the fuel filter cover (see the other links for tips on this), loosen the hose clamps on the rubber hoses on both sides of the filter and slide them up onto the metal pipes out of the way. Remove the bolt holding the metal clamp in place around the filter. Snap the metal pipe out of the plastic bracket attached to the metal clamp, push it out of the way and lift the metal bracket off. Unhook the hooks on the back side of the bracket and slide it off towards the front of the car.

Once the bracket is off, spin the filter in place to free it from the rubber hoses. Take two needle nose vise grips and wrap enough tape around each jaw so it doesn't dig into the rubber. Adjust so there is about 1/8" between the jaws (while locked) and clamp one on either side of the filter. Pull each end of the filter out of the hose while trying to keep the filter level (there is a lot of gas in the filter). I only spilled a few drops of gas from the actual hose and a few more when I tipped the filter a little. If you are careful you will spill very little fuel. Pour the extra gas from the filter into your lawn mower or something (be careful not to get too much dirt in your mower). Replace in reverse and be sure to get the direction the same.

Overall it is fairly straight forward, but you will need tall ramps or a floor jack (built in doesn't have enough lift) and 2 jack stands, a 10 mm wrench, an 8 mm?? wrench for the plastic cover, 2 needle nose vise grips (regular will also work but it is harder to clamp the hose because there isn't much space) or some other clamps for the hose (see the other links), and a flat head or phillips screw driver for the hose clamps. I am glad I changed mine, the date was stamped October of 1995.