PDA

View Full Version : I need a favor from someone in Europe

DustenT
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
I need a favor from someone in Europe. I found a part that is only available in Europe. If someone can source the part, (and it's resonably priced) I'll hook you up with some cash for the work. Is anyone interested?

This is the part:

http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/148.aspx

O.E.M. oil filter housing cover, cast in aluminum with a threaded receptacle for an oil pressure gauge. It was included as standard equipment on the special edition E36 318is Class ll Motorsport Edition (homologated for the touring car championships). It was also an option in Europe for the E36 with M42 and M44 engines. Great for the street and track.

With this description, I don't think it should be a problem finding one. Let me know if you can help, or if you know of any online BMW parts departments.

Thanks!

Tyler
12-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm i'm interested in this too. It's a shame they don't sell it in the US.

DustenT
12-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Hmm i'm interested in this too. It's a shame they don't sell it in the US.

Get in line.

cali-ti
12-21-2005, 04:48 PM
i'm REALLY hoping the part # they show on the bag is the correct one. Dusten and i both checked the ETK and didn't find it in there. the word "tool" in the description on the bag worries me a bit.

Dusten and i were also discussing the possible issues with the location of the threaded receptacle which is right where most oil cap removal tools sit. you'll need another method for removing the cap. it would be nice to have an oil pressure sending unit up there rather than having it in the oil drain plug like some others have done. i'm potentially interested :)

davep-uk
12-21-2005, 06:36 PM
i might be getting some bits for cali-ti. i'd be happy to get whatever you guys want. my local dealer is pretty helpful.

and you could split shipping costs.

cali-ti
12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
sounds good davep-uk! thanks again :)

davep-uk
12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Pm me part no's etc and i'll get on to Scottall's tommorow to find out a cost for parts, i'll organise shipping and we can go from there...

cali-ti
12-21-2005, 06:59 PM
part number shown on the website Dusten linked to is:

88 88 6 117 330

Bag shown in the picture lists it as "M42 Oil Filter Tool," but the description listed elsewhere is, "O.E.M. oil filter housing cover, cast in aluminum with a threaded receptacle for an oil pressure gauge. It was included as standard equipment on the special edition E36 318is Class ll Motorsport Edition (homologated for the touring car championships). It was also an option in Europe for the E36 with M42 and M44 engines."

EDIT: If you can get a description for that Part Number (if they can even find it) and report back what it is, that'd be great. i'd hate to order the wrong thing.

davep-uk
12-21-2005, 07:30 PM
ok, i'll get on the case in the morning. should i just Pm u?

cali-ti
12-21-2005, 07:38 PM
you can PM me and/or Dusten and/or post it here :)

davep-uk
12-21-2005, 07:46 PM
will do.

DustenT
12-21-2005, 08:33 PM
part number shown on the website Dusten linked to is:

88 88 6 117 330

Bag shown in the picture lists it as "M42 Oil Filter Tool," but the description listed elsewhere is, "O.E.M. oil filter housing cover, cast in aluminum with a threaded receptacle for an oil pressure gauge. It was included as standard equipment on the special edition E36 318is Class ll Motorsport Edition (homologated for the touring car championships). It was also an option in Europe for the E36 with M42 and M44 engines."

EDIT: If you can get a description for that Part Number (if they can even find it) and report back what it is, that'd be great. i'd hate to order the wrong thing.

I'm worried that part number is for an oil filter tool, not the actual cap. I just need the cap with the threaded receptacle for an oil pressure gauge. PM me when you know more. I really appreciate this!!! Thank you!

davep-uk
12-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Dunstan, ive PM'ed you.

cali-ti
12-22-2005, 04:59 PM
davep-uk ... once that part comes in for Dusten, would you be willing to take a pic and post it so we can confirm it's the one we're hoping it is? if so, others may be interested in getting one (including me). we'll definitely give you something for all your time :) you're really helping us out!

Panzer_M
12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm interested too

DustenT
12-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm interested too

If it's the right part, I'll be getting as many as I can. That way we'll save of shipping.

I'll let you know.

1996 328ti
12-22-2005, 07:26 PM
You can have a BMW dealer special order Euro parts.
That is how I got my 323ti rear valence.

DustenT
12-22-2005, 07:41 PM

I just got off the phone with my local dealer. He did a search and came up with the same part number that davep-uk did. He said he could search and order most euro parts as long as they aren't illegal, like e-code headlights, etc...

Davep-uk is going to take care of it, hopefully this ends up being the correct part.

cali-ti
12-22-2005, 08:11 PM
there's a part that my dealer told me he couldn't get and i can't believe it's for any safety reason. when he does the search on the part number, he get's "invalid." everything else, he was able to find and get me prices on (haven't ordered yet). is there something else he would need to do to special order it?

1996 328ti
12-23-2005, 01:04 AM
there's a part that my dealer told me he couldn't get and i can't believe it's for any safety reason. when he does the search on the part number, he get's "invalid." everything else, he was able to find and get me prices on (haven't ordered yet). is there something else he would need to do to special order it?What part? A friend of mine is an assistant parts manager at a dealership.

Tyler
12-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Yeah like i said before i'm down for one of these whenever possible.

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 02:48 AM
the collective "we" (mostly davep-uk) are working on it :)

davep-uk
12-23-2005, 12:19 PM
i have ordered the filter cover and i pick it up in the morning.

J!m
12-23-2005, 03:43 PM
When I saw the photos on the first post, I almost laughed out loud.

I've had one of these in my tool box since I goy my car in '98.

I had the dealer order me a filter tool, and it came with this attached! I told him I did not need all that (and it explained why a filter tool was SO much money) but he said this is the only way it comes.

So, since then I've had one of these siting in my tool box. Now, I don't even use the 1.9l engine, and have no use for either the wrench or the cap!

If someone wants an excetptional condition 1.9l engine, I'll throw in the "ultra-rare hard to get Euro-only" oil filter cover with pressure tap for FREE!

Bear in mind, this cap may not allow room for a permanently mounted pressure gage, and it does not have a standard pipe thread on it either (it's some kind of compression fitting, or hose connection). If you want to use it, you may have to get a hose and/or adapter from the dealer to fit a gage. Also, once you manage to get a gage on there, the hood may not clear! I had planned to get an adapter so I can use my oil pressure gage on there, but never got around to it...

And, yes, you can order ANY european part numbers from the local dealer, EVEN when the part numbers do not come up in their system. I ordered my front springs (Euro M3) this way. The could not confirm what exactly they were ordering, nor could they allow returns if I gave them the wrong number, but I got my springs in about a week.

DustenT
12-23-2005, 03:47 PM
J!m - Do you still have the part number? How much for the 1.9l? I could build a turbo motor if the price was right.

I had the dealer order me a filter tool, and it came with this attached! I told him I did not need all that (and it explained why a filter tool was SO much money) but he said this is the only way it comes.

So, since then I've had one of these siting in my tool box. Now, I don't even use the 1.9l engine, and have no use for either the wrench or the cap!

If someone wants an excetptional condition 1.9l engine, I'll throw in the "ultra-rare hard to get Euro-only" oil filter cover with pressure tap for FREE!

Bear in mind, this cap may not allow room for a permanently mounted pressure gage, and it does not have a standard pipe thread on it either (it's some kind of compression fitting, or hose connection). If you want to use it, you may have to get a hose and/or adapter from the dealer to fit a gage. Also, once you manage to get a gage on there, the hood may not clear! I had planned to get an adapter so I can use my oil pressure gage on there, but never got around to it...

And, yes, you can order ANY european part numbers from the local dealer, EVEN when the part numbers do not come up in their system. I ordered my front springs (Euro M3) this way. The could not confirm what exactly they were ordering, nor could they allow returns if I gave them the wrong number, but I got my springs in about a week.

J!m
12-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Looking to get something in the neighborhood of $1500.00 US...

But I'm open to offers, or possible trades...

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 04:32 PM
do you still happen to have that part # hanging around? does the filter removal tool work with that filter cover (with the port on top)?

DustenT
12-23-2005, 04:36 PM

If you send me the cap with port, I'll send you my plastic cap plus some cash. Assuming I can't find it else where. Why can't I send you private messages??

J!m
12-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Private messages should be active now. Since the site was moved to a new host my preferences got all screwed up...

I'll sell the cap with the engine. The stock cap is still on it now, so I don't need a plastic one.

Maybe I'll just keep it for troubleshooting other cars...

Who knows!