PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever go offroading?

1998greenmachine
12-23-2005, 04:28 AM
has anyone other than me been offroading in their ti...i know...its not good for it...but i have

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 04:32 AM
is your aqua metallic? if so, i think you're the only other one on here with the same color as me.

sorry, never been offroading. if memory serves, bmw did some rally racing in the ti.

1998greenmachine
12-23-2005, 04:33 AM
rally racer http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rallyracingnews.com/teams/bmw318ti.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rallyracingnews.com/teams/bmw318i.html&h=224&w=360&sz=16&tbnid=BEPlMN_6r7oJ:&tbnh=72&tbnw=117&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drally%2Bbmw%2B318ti%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

1996 328ti
12-23-2005, 04:37 AM
has anyone other than me been offroading in their ti...i know...its not good for it...but i haveNot intentionally. :(

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 04:38 AM
yeah, that pic looks familiar :) they put the 3.0 6 in it and all those deer mesmerizers on the front :)

1998greenmachine
12-23-2005, 04:39 AM
i wanna rally race mine..it'd be soo much fun...im a really good driver too...even though im only 17

1996 328ti
12-23-2005, 04:47 AM
i wanna rally race mine..it'd be soo much fun...im a really good driver too...even though im only 17
I'm sure.:eek:

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 04:49 AM
it would actually be cool to see someone do something different with their ti on here (other than lambo doors, lol). i'm sure you could do a little research on what they did to that ti rally car you posted info about and start hooking mods up on yours if that's what you want to do. someone even has a roll cage for sale right now (i think it's $400).

1998greenmachine
12-23-2005, 04:51 AM
it would be soo much fun...i think i would buy a new ti tho...one for racin one for road

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 04:53 AM
there's a shell for sale too :) "95 318ti roller for sale" is the thread. $1500 i think. in that same thread, another member mentions the roll cage for sale.

1998greenmachine
12-23-2005, 04:54 AM
yea i wanna buy the m3 engine from that guy...i hate having under 140 hp

1996 328ti
12-23-2005, 05:01 AM
I've had well driven 4 bangers pass me on the track.
It's more about car control than power.
It's about keeping the momentum going.
But at 17, you know all about that.

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 05:04 AM
I've had well driven 4 bangers pass me on the track.
damn, that's gotta be a ego blaster ;) that really makes me want to get out to some events this year. i need to learn how to drive my car! :)

robcarync
12-23-2005, 05:06 AM
i have been offroading in my TI...well more like dirt roading...

my friend used to have an old ass ford ranger and he wants to be a red neck so he started going out to the country land and find dirt roads to go off on and spin tires and slide around and stuff since that was as tough as terrain his ride could handle...one time he convinced me to come along with him and follow him...it was awesome drifting in the gravel and dirt...but the TI needed a big washing after that one

1996 328ti
12-23-2005, 05:12 AM
damn, that's gotta be a ego blaster ;) that really makes me want to get out to some events this year. i need to learn how to drive my car! :)It doesn't bother me. I was at Mid-Ohio. I walk up to the guy and ask him what has he done? I figure DASC, I6. He tells me, stock. He pops open the hood. Stock. :eek: He may have done a little suspension work. He was just a very good driver. I can hold my own with E36 M3s in the turns but this guy was cooking.

DustenT
12-23-2005, 05:14 AM

This is as close as I ever got to rally!

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/DSCF1093.jpg

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 05:16 AM
It doesn't bother me. I was at Mid-Ohio. I walk up to the guy and ask him what has he done? I figure DASC, I6. He tells me, stock. He pops open the hood. Stock. :eek: He may have done a little suspension work. He was just a very good driver. I can hold my own with E36 M3s in the turns but this guy was cooking.
sweet. how long had he been racing? what kind of tires did he have? i've seen some amazing road holding (back in my <cough>fiero<cough> days) with good sticky tires.

cali-ti
12-23-2005, 05:17 AM
i have been offroading in my TI...well more like dirt roading...

my friend used to have an old ass ford ranger and he wants to be a red neck so he started going out to the country land and find dirt roads to go off on and spin tires and slide around and stuff since that was as tough as terrain his ride could handle...one time he convinced me to come along with him and follow him...it was awesome drifting in the gravel and dirt...but the TI needed a big washing after that one
"dirt roading" ... 'ass ranger" ... must ... not ... make ... smart ... ass ... comment ... lol

DustenT
12-23-2005, 05:19 AM
"dirt roading" ... 'ass ranger" ... must ... not ... make ... smart ... ass ... comment ... lol
:biggrin: :biggrin:

robcarync
12-23-2005, 05:19 AM
TEE HEE you are so hilarious my friend...your battery pictures are coming soon...

1996 328ti
12-23-2005, 05:33 AM
sweet. how long had he been racing? what kind of tires did he have? i've seen some amazing road holding (back in my <cough>fiero<cough> days) with good sticky tires.I think his tires where stock but he has been doing this for a while. I think he told me he was an autocrosser.

AlaskaBlue
12-23-2005, 05:46 AM
has anyone jumped their car...lol ive gotten air b 4

I know you are 17...I am not much older, but don't you want to live at least 21.

Steven knows what he is talking about as far as driving goes as well...
There is so much to know about driving apex, track in, track out, where to look, proper down shifting, proper braking, etc. If you want to see how good you really are try going to a local autocross. Since you are stock you will be put in with other stock cars that are about at the same level as the ti. They are outrageously fun, safe, and legal.

1998greenmachine
12-23-2005, 05:49 AM
haha i did an autocross a year ago...it was good...i had the suckiest car in my class tho...i got like 3rd

1rstbmw!
12-29-2005, 02:04 AM
haha i did an autocross a year ago...it was good...i had the suckiest car in my class tho...i got like 3rd

What others were in your class? I thought the ti was a good autocross car.

J!m
12-29-2005, 03:24 AM
The ti needs slicks (and a competent driver) to compete with the Neons that stock ti's race against. (well, last time I raced it was this way anyway)

If you don't have slicks, and the Neons do, you will be beaten (unless the Neon driver is REALLY bad, or you really ARE that good...)

This, among other reasons, such as having to shut off the A/C to get onto the highway, provoked me to swap my engine. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it on the 'track' (AKA parking lot) since doing the swap.

Hopefully, this summer will be different...

DustenT
12-29-2005, 03:44 AM
What others were in your class? I thought the ti was a good autocross car.

With a supercharger it is.

andyman7931
01-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I guess there's differing definitions of offroading, but the offroading that I do, it'd be impossible for a ti to go more than 10 feet without major damage ;-) That's why I keep my ti on the road and use my jeep for trails.

ddiorio1313
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
328ti guy... You mentioned Mid-Ohio. I live right down the street from there...Do you visit that track often. I have never had the chance to get out on the track, kinda expensive. It would be really fun I bet!

As for offroading. I have done it about 3 times. My parents used to live in Savannah, GA and I would take my ti out onto the sand roads back behind construction sites, and and just connecting roads. There are miles and miles of sand roads there. They are pretty flat, but have there occasional dips.... If you get going pretty quick you can catch air on alot of the dips and small hills. Those roads down there are almost like playing rally Cross on the XBOX, because for a mile or so you will be on sand then it turns into lose packed dirt and gravel and then it will hit tarmack for a while and then you can cut across back onto another sand road...It is some of the most fun I have had in my ti. If you are not worried about maybe messing your car up a little bit I would recommend it to anyone!

1996 328ti
01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
328ti guy... You mentioned Mid-Ohio. I live right down the street from there...Do you visit that track often. I have never had the chance to get out on the track, kinda expensive. It would be really fun I bet!I have been going every Memorial Day weekend for the past 3 or 4 years.

ddiorio1313
01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
1996 328ti - Are you in a club or anything like that? How much is it to get out on the track... I think the last time I checked it was pretty expensive. I know BMW club goes out there, but to join there club it is like $1000.00 or so, and I still think it costs to get out on the track.

We have alot of good roads for spirited driving around here as well. One of my favorites is O'Possom Run Road. All the roads off that road are awesome aswell. It is right off Interstate 71 and the State Route 13 exit.

1996 328ti
01-06-2006, 04:32 AM
1996 328ti - Are you in a club or anything like that? How much is it to get out on the track... I think the last time I checked it was pretty expensive. I know BMW club goes out there, but to join there club it is like $1000.00 or so, and I still think it costs to get out on the track.To join the BMW CCA it is $40/year. Use my membership number as a referral. ;) Last time I went it was $360? for two days. Plus 3 nights in a motel and 7 hour drive. Not to mention the optional garage rental.

dodj
01-06-2006, 05:28 AM
hehe,

Well i was driving out to a client one time, and she was located in coast hinterlands.

Well i had no idea where i was going but i looked for the shortest way on the map, turned down this dirt road started to get worse and worse then all of a sudden im going round side of this mountain road barely wide enough to fit my car. thought i was going to fall of the side a few times, crapped my pants i wasn't going faster than 10 km/h whole way. The whole time praying some angry 4X4 wasn't going to come the other way.

when i finally got down the mountain, the road seemed to go through some peoples properties, and they had these big drains had to basically crawl over them. So here i am driving through peoples private property they in their 4 wheel drives and im tip toe ing across these rediculous drains, the look on their face was priceless. Well i really can't explain how bad it was, but it was the bumpiest most encomfortable ride ive ever been on.

and I worked out later there was a much easier way to go with paved roads...

ddiorio1313
01-06-2006, 01:37 PM
1996 328ti - Thanks for the info I may jsut look into that...Plus, it appears they need memebers now anyway....

1996 328ti
01-06-2006, 02:20 PM
1996 328ti - Thanks for the info I may jsut look into that...Plus, it appears they need memebers now anyway....That depends who you speak to.