PDA

View Full Version : Post your kills (and mods)

Silver00spike
12-29-2005, 06:46 AM
332ti, ecis intake, custom exhaust, clutch/flywheel

newer audi a6
g35 coupe

Also, I get 19mpg average

J!m
12-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I was a happy camper once I got my new car, but soon learned that it was a bit lacking in the power department. It's a bit heavier than it looks, and merging onto the highway requires the air conditioning be turned off, but MAN it sure is a sweet looking ride. Even back then, you didn't see many on the road, which I also liked about it.

Fast forward a few years (post warranty period), new job, better pay, MUST HAVE MORE POWER!!! So, I did a ton of research. I looked into supercharging, turbo charging, cams, headers & exhaust, port and polish work etc. and discovered that IT'S FREAKING EXPENSIVE to get over 200 hp from the 1.9 liter engine. It was about this time that I decided that an engine swap was not a far-fetched idea after all.

Quite a bit of searching found me an engine, and a ton more research verified that there just wasn't any information on doing OBD-II engine swap. All the cars swapped that were originally OBD-II (1996 and newer) were converted to OBD-I, most of which were the early 3.0 liter engine. This was all the inspiration I needed to figure out how to create a car that could pass for a factory fluke. Imagine the look on the service department's face when I bring in a ti with a 3.2 liter M motor…

A few hundred phone calls, e-mails and hours of searching on-line started a tremendous collection of information. Unfortunately, most of it was useless. This is when I decided not only would I install the engine, I would create a step-by-step booklet detailing the problems I had to overcome, and exactly what is required to get the job done.

Well, I did it, and since the completion of the swap, I have provided many happy ti owners with a nice guidebook to make the job as painless as possible for them.

But, I digress. You wanted to know about the car right? Well, fasten your seat belt, and hang on, because it's a fun ride!

Base car: 1998 BMW 318ti sport with sunroof delete

Engine: 1999 M Roadster 3.2 liter
Dinan Stage I software
Lightweight flywheel
Euro M3 GT Ram-air duct (picks up from left brake duct)

Transmission: stock 1998 318ti Getrag 5-speed

Differential: M Roadster 3.23:1 Limited slip with Redline fluid
Actually, the entire M Roadster rear sub-frame was installed which, in addition to the aforementioned diff, affords improvements in many ways. The trailing arms, famous for failing on the ti when heavier sway bars are installed, are far more substantial on the M roadster, as is the actual sub-frame itself. The finned cover is standard, to keep the new redline fluid cool. M3 rear brakes complete the package, and are also standard on the M roadster assembly…

Front Suspension: 1998 M3 lower control arms with 1995 offset bushings (moves wheel forward about 3/4 inch) Bilstein Sport struts, US M3 sway bar, Euro M3 front springs (10mm lower and 20% stiffer than the US M3 springs) M3 caster tops, strut mount stiffener plates, M3 LTW strut bar.

Rear suspension: M Roadster springs, M Coupe sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Race upper shock mounts with stiffener plates.

Brakes: M3 front and rear. Stock rotors with Porterfield R4S pads. Teflon brake hoses with stainless over-braid, front and rear Motul fluid.

Aero/exterior mods: M3 LTW adjustable front splitter, Euro M3 GT sedan rear wing with M3 LTW risers. M3 rocker covers and mirrors, Motorsport international badges, rear quarter panels rolled for tire clearance.

Interior: M3 instrument cluster, M3 3-spoke wheel, radio delete, Motorsport international badge.

Tires/wheels: Forged M double spoke, polished, 7.5X17 front , 8.5X17 rear wheels shod with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, 245/40-17 front and 275/40-17 rear (to be replaced with 265/40-17 in the spring)

bimmer7
01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
S52 M3 swap-dinan intake, & computer- o.b.d 1 injector conversion- jet hot equal length headers with custom exaust. 3.23 rear end. Lightened fligh wheel & clutch. B&M short shifter. Ground Controle coilovers(550front/650rear) bilstine struts.

MR-2 turbo
Mustang GT's-they get real mad!!!
U.S. M3 (3.0L)
Civics ]
Preludes ]-Va, beach is over run by ricers!!!!
Integera's ]

Silver00spike
01-30-2006, 02:51 AM
S52 M3 swap-dinan intake, & computer- o.b.d 1 injector conversion- jet hot equal length headers with custom exaust. 3.23 rear end. Lightened fligh wheel & clutch. B&M short shifter. Ground Controle coilovers(550front/650rear) bilstine struts.

MR-2 turbo
Mustang GT's-they get real mad!!!
U.S. M3 (3.0L)
Civics ]
Preludes ]-Va, beach is over run by ricers!!!!
Integera's ]
isn't your rear too stiff to launch well?

bimmer7
02-01-2006, 12:03 AM
isn't your rear too stiff to launch well?

It's not that bad, plus most of my kills are from rolling starts.

JedzE36/5
04-09-2006, 07:52 PM
M52 swap
M50 head and manifold
S50 Cams
OBD-I Conv.
540 HFM
AA Software

other goodies.

kills:
numerous Mustang GTs
Vette non-Z06
Firebirds and 1 WS-6 TransAm (bad driver)
Mazdaspeed Protege
civics, preludes, accords, etc.
328is (stock. did this to compare power)
US M3 (3.0L)