PDA

View Full Version : Battery ?/other

Tyler
01-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I have two questions for everyone.

1st..
What kind of battery should i buy for my car? I do have a system in my car and i'm looking for the best battery for say under $100.

2nd..
I need new ignition wires and not sure what kind i should get or the best bang for the buck. I buy most of my parts from bavauto and they only sell performance ignition wires and they are $180+ dollars. Imo that is a waste of money.

Thanks

cali-ti
01-04-2006, 04:07 PM
magnecor wires. search for the thread from 1996Bmw318TI as i posted the link to the best place to buy the magnecor's that i've found. they're around $80 for the blue wires (which should fit w/o modification).

not sure on the best battery. i tend to just look for the highest CCA :) that said, it would be nice to have a DRY battery, one that doesn't ever need water and won't spill acid. i think optima makes this kind. i do not yet have one of these types.

J!m
01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Magnecor are the best bar none. End of discussion.

Optima ORANGE top battery (you may have to order this) has the posts reversed (compared to a red top, otherwise identical to the red) to allow easy instalation in the stock ti location with stock cables. I went with a red top (was in a jam with a dead battery) and had to change the ground cable to allow it to reach.

snuggz
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I also have a red top (from my previous car, took it w/ me when I sold it) and it's by far the best battery I've ever used. It's not in my Ti yet (planning on relocating to the trunk when I do my swap) but that thing was a stone cold killer year round, I believe it's like 800 CCAs. Didn't know about the orange top configuration; good to know Optima's lookin' out for the bimmer crowd.

Tyler
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I was on the Optima website and they have 3 red,yellow and gray but no orange. I guess i'll do some research tonight.

robcarync
01-04-2006, 07:50 PM
just out of curiositcy, what is CCA rating on batteries?

cali-ti
01-04-2006, 08:16 PM
CCA = cold cranking amps (or something like that) ...

J!m
01-04-2006, 11:12 PM
CCA = cold cranking amps (or something like that) ...

Exactly like that. Compare this number across similar batteries to see how "strong" it is.

Perhaps the Gray battery replaces the Orange one I saw (it was a few years ago now)? Check the specs; this is where you will see if the CCA and other data to be identical. They just have the terminals on the opposite side, so the stock ti cables reach...