PDA

View Full Version : Where is the reverse light switch?

pdxmotorhead
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Ok so I checked the usual culprits, fuses, bulbs, sockets.

Can someone tell me exactly where the reverse light switch is accessed from? I can't find it in my ETK or service manual.

Thanks!

Dave

1996 328ti
01-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Right side of the tranny. Pretty easy DIY job.

pdxmotorhead
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks, I know this is a simple question but I'll likely be doing the work on the gound outdoors in the rain. <arrg>

Is it reachable without removing other stuff? I want to hook my fluke meter to it and have wife move the shifter...

Thanks`!

Dave

1996 328ti
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks, I know this is a simple question but I'll likely be doing the work on the gound outdoors in the rain. <arrg>

Is it reachable without removing other stuff? I want to hook my fluke meter to it and have wife move the shifter...
If you are already under there, replace it.
It is a common part that fails. What if it's intermittent?
You'll only have to crawl under there again.

I've only seen it up on a lift, but there are no obstructions.
Just have a bright light. It's high on the side.

318tiRedLeather
01-07-2006, 12:57 AM
i repalced this like a month ago. I believe that it is a common problem on the ti. I agree with 1996 328ti and go ahead and change it. I think it cost like 10 bucks or somthing close. Its on the drivers side and all you have to do it remove the connector boot(which has a safety clip) and then just use a wrench to get it out. Easy job. Good luck.

1996 328ti
01-07-2006, 02:32 AM
i repalced this like a month ago. I believe that it is a common problem on the ti. I agree with 1996 328ti and go ahead and change it. I think it cost like 10 bucks or somthing close. Its on the drivers side and all you have to do it remove the connector boot(which has a safety clip) and then just use a wrench to get it out. Easy job. Good luck.
I guess it's on the right side because I have a different transmission.

TECH TI
06-14-2008, 07:02 AM
I replaced the reverse light switch on my TI today. Just FYI... I used a 3/4" box wrench and it worked PERFECTLY.