PDA

View Full Version : Alarm goes off on its own.

fieldhb
01-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Hi All,

The factory alarm on my car goes off on its' own.
I am not touching one of the buttons on the remote or anything.
I had one person tell me that is probably the car battery.
Anyone have any idears ?

Thanks.

HuGo
01-10-2006, 01:43 AM
yea. Sometimes my car just turns on outta no where. Hasnt done that lately.
BTW if you guys havent noticed, you can tell when ur car's alarm has been on. So you can tell if someone was trying to f*ck with ur car.

NOTICE: So lets say u leave and u turn ur alarm on. 30 mins later or whatever time after, you come back, so when u unlock it and it just opens then its fine. But sometimes when you unlock it, you here like a beep beep, that means the alarm had turned on when u locked the car and left. Before i used to be like what the hell? But then i was paying attention and figured it out.

DustenT
01-10-2006, 01:55 AM
yea. Sometimes my car just turns on outta no where. Hasnt done that lately.
BTW if you guys havent noticed, you can tell when ur car's alarm has been on. So you can tell if someone was trying to f*ck with ur car.

NOTICE: So lets say u leave and u turn ur alarm on. 30 mins later or whatever time after, you come back, so when u unlock it and it just opens then its fine. But sometimes when you unlock it, you here like a beep beep, that means the alarm had turned on when u locked the car and left. Before i used to be like what the hell? But then i was paying attention and figured it out.

My factory Alpine alarm beeps once when you arm it and twice when you disarm it. My alarm has never gone off, I think you have to break a window to make it go off.

If your alarm goes off all the time by itself, do the world a favor and unplug the siren(or fix it). BMW alarms are incredilbly annoying.

aceyx
01-10-2006, 02:18 AM
People have mentioned the trunk light switch triggering the alarm.

The plastic underneath can get worn down so the alarm thinks it is open; to do a simple test, tape a bit of cardboard where the switch hits and see if the alarm goes off after that. For a more permanent fix, run a search.

Tyler
01-10-2006, 02:37 AM

The plastic underneath can get worn down so the alarm thinks it is open; to do a simple test, tape a bit of cardboard where the switch hits and see if the alarm goes off after that. For a more permanent fix, run a search.

My factory alarm was going off at work alot and i noticed my interior lights flickering. I replaced the trunk button for my flickering lights which stopped and also my alram was working properly again. Also when my alarm goes off you can tell by looking at the flashing alarm light before opening or once in. It has 3 or 4 quick flashes.

I'd say replace that trunk switch,it's like $7.95 at the dealership.

fieldhb
01-10-2006, 02:51 AM
My factory alarm was going off at work alot and i noticed my interior lights flickering. I replaced the trunk button for my flickering lights which stopped and also my alram was working properly again. Also when my alarm goes off you can tell by looking at the flashing alarm light before opening or once in. It has 3 or 4 quick flashes.

I'd say replace that trunk switch,it's like $7.95 at the dealership.

Thanks for the info on the trunk switch you guys.
I'll have to look into that

fieldhb
01-10-2006, 02:52 AM

Hey Aceyx, thanks for the info.
What do you mean by "Run a search" though ?

aceyx
01-10-2006, 04:50 AM
http://www.318ti.org/forum/search.php

Since you're new, I've done it for you:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7927&highlight=trunk+switch

(see rob's post)

lkwd318ti
01-10-2006, 05:57 AM
It's probably the trunk.
It happened to me a while back and I solved it by putting tape around the switch to extend it.
Easy Fix!

-Randy

robcarync
01-11-2006, 04:40 AM
yes, trunk switch...open the hatch...and look on the hatch door to find the button ...the one that turns the trunk light on and off..

hold the button down all the way with your hand...you can leave the trunk open though...as long as the button is firmly pressed...if you arm the alarm, and it never goes off...its probably the button, and you can just screw a plastic expanding rivet into the trim to press the button firmly.