PDA

View Full Version : Question on Cruise Control

L84THSKY
01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Did someone once say that some front strut bars will not fit with cars equipped with cruise control? I'm trying to piece together a cruise control kit, but am afraid my Racing Dynamics bar may not work with cruise control.

Tyler
01-24-2006, 06:09 PM
L8 i think i recall someone saying that last summer or around there,but i'm not sure if thats completly true. I wonder if anyone on here has a front strut bar and also has cruise control. I have cc on my car but no strut bar.

cali-ti
01-24-2006, 06:09 PM
you have a pic of your racing dynamics bar installed?

the cruise module sits on the front of the driver's side wheel well inside the engine bay. there is a clip off one of the bolts for the strut that holds the throttle cable, but i'm sure that could be dealt with.

L84THSKY
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Here is a picture of my current setup, minus the angel eyes.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/install.jpg

L8 i think i recall someone saying that last summer or around there,but i'm not sure if thats completly true. I wonder if anyone on here has a front strut bar and also has cruise control. I have cc on my car but no strut bar.

L84THSKY
01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
While we are on the subject, would this Midinight Autowerks supercharger kit work with cruise control?

you have a pic of your racing dynamics bar installed?

the cruise module sits on the front of the driver's side wheel well inside the engine bay. there is a clip off one of the bolts for the strut that holds the throttle cable, but i'm sure that could be dealt with.

Tyler
01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
From your picture i don't think there would be a problem with cc on your ti. But i could be wrong.

cali-ti
01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Here is a picture of my current setup, minus the angel eyes.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/install.jpg
hmmm ... now that's interesting. let me pop out and peek at mine again. my 96 with cruise and ASC is slightly different than yours (w/ no cruise but ASC). the module you have on your driver's fender well has a cable going to the TB or whatever there. mine has a cable routed up to the intake where the throttle cable from inside the cabin goes. i should be able to post some pics later today (need to load them up on my mac, resize them and then load them up to the site).

stormos
01-24-2006, 06:49 PM
oil is supposed to go in the filling hole. not around it! :)

BmWwHiPPin
01-24-2006, 07:10 PM
I also have a front stut bar with cc and worked fine, it is a little tite but still fits. i can post pics tonight if you like

aceyx
01-24-2006, 07:41 PM
From what I've seen . . .

The cruise control has a throttle cable going next to the one hooked up to the accelerator. Normal bars don't have the kink yours do, so it seems like it's built that way to provide clearance.

There is also a control box that goes next to the one on the driver's fender well that mechanically pulls the throttle cable taut.

L84THSKY
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Most of what you see is that waxy **** they put on the engine.

oil is supposed to go in the filling hole. not around it! :)

L84THSKY
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Please post.:smile:

I also have a front stut bar with cc and worked fine, it is a little tite but still fits. i can post pics tonight if you like

L84THSKY
01-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Any reason this wouldn't fit our cars? The Cruise Control stalk is correct for our years. Would the OBC stalk work with our cars, if I retrofitted OBC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8011715100&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

From what I've seen . . .

The cruise control has a throttle cable going next to the one hooked up to the accelerator. Normal bars don't have the kink yours do, so it seems like it's built that way to provide clearance.

There is also a control box that goes next to the one on the driver's fender well that mechanically pulls the throttle cable taut.

DustenT
01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Pics for reference:

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/Random_011.sized.jpg
http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/Random_009.sized.jpg

aceyx
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Any reason this wouldn't fit our cars? The Cruise Control stalk is correct for our years. Would the OBC stalk work with our cars, if I retrofitted OBC?
Seems like it would (fit). Is there a cutout for the cruise stalk?

If the OBC stalk has a single connector coming from it, it might need to be added later. Depends on the connector in the steering column.

BmWwHiPPin
01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
i will post pics as soon as i get home i get off school around 6:00 and home around 6:30 so i will post right then

BmWwHiPPin
01-25-2006, 03:30 AM
http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1239&stc=1&d=1138156401
hope that helps!!

cali-ti
01-25-2006, 03:33 AM
you need to upload the photo to your gallery or somewhere :)

BmWwHiPPin
01-25-2006, 03:45 AM
is it not showing up ?

cali-ti
01-25-2006, 03:48 AM
originally, it was showing IMG tags around a location on your local disk. it's working now.

BmWwHiPPin
01-25-2006, 03:52 AM
alright....does the picture help any?

Tyler
01-25-2006, 03:53 AM
alright....does the picture help any?

Umm what picture? The one on the previous page?

BmWwHiPPin
01-25-2006, 03:57 AM
yeah

J!m
01-26-2006, 11:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8011715100&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

You MAY run into problems with this set-up, since it's for the M3.

I would suggest getting the ti cruise control/OBC parts; BUT you will still have to splice everything in. Unlike US made cars with one or two wiring harneses, the BMWs are essentially built to order, and no extra wires are present.

Just a warning. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough...

L84THSKY
01-30-2006, 05:44 PM
I just purchased these three items (in grey):

Control Unit
Control Actuator
Control Switch (Stalk)

All three came from M3 cars, and all three cross check to be the same part #'s for my 1998 318ti. My question is, can I somehow buy only the retrofit wiring harness shown in the picture below. This harness is part of the complete retrofit kit, and does not have a specific part#.

You MAY run into problems with this set-up, since it's for the M3.

I would suggest getting the ti cruise control/OBC parts; BUT you will still have to splice everything in. Unlike US made cars with one or two wiring harneses, the BMWs are essentially built to order, and no extra wires are present.

Just a warning. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough...

J!m
01-30-2006, 11:59 PM
You could try at the dealer to see if they can break out the harness alone. I'm sure it has it's own part number, and if you knew it, could order just the harness. Working it backwards is not always easy...

L84THSKY
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
In the picture I posted, there is a box that the harness seems to be connecting through, is that the fuse box?

You could try at the dealer to see if they can break out the harness alone. I'm sure it has it's own part number, and if you knew it, could order just the harness. Working it backwards is not always easy...

cali-ti
01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
sure appears to be.

L84THSKY
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
That install doesn't seem too hard. That is if I can get that retrofit harness.

sure appears to be.

J!m
01-31-2006, 05:02 PM
The bit going through the fuse box most likely has the connector on it to snap into the fuse block and allow fuses and/or relays to be installed...

L84THSKY
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
I just called Circle BMW. They said there was no breakdown of part#'s for the kit. That means I would have to fabricate a harness, or get one out of a car that had cruise control. I imagine that since the three main parts I got from the 97-98 M3 cars were the same, the harness would be too. My search continues for a harness from a salvage yard.

The bit going through the fuse box most likely has the connector on it to snap into the fuse block and allow fuses and/or relays to be installed...

J!m
01-31-2006, 11:39 PM
If the harness is factory installed, the wires pertaining only to the cruise will be mixed in and bundled with the other wires going to the same or close locations throughout the car.

The least headache will be to bite the bullet and buy the retrofit kit I think.

Otherwise, you will need a harness, wiring drawings / color codes for the donor car as well as the retrofit kit and a LOT of time to sort everything out.