PDA

View Full Version : Various Issues With the Dash

Stuckupfool
02-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Recently I got an iPod and have spent some time over the last month messing with various stereo setups to get the most usability and best sound quality out of my new gadget. However, in the chaos of unplugging and replugging various different decks into my console I may have disconnected some wires in the dashboard as I am having several minor electrical issues. First, I noticed that no deck that I plug into the stereo wire coupler gets power. Its almost as if somewhere I wiggled a power wire loose. Second, I notice that now none of the instrument panel lights turn on when I turn on my head lights. That is whatever illuminates the dials behind the steering wheel and the glow that comes from the controls in the center part of the console around the air-conditioner nobs. Lastly, I also notice that now I do not hear that alarm sound when I take my keys out of the ignition and the headlights are still on. All of these problems occured at the same time, and I am lead to believe that they are related to some power cord being disconnected. I have looked at all the fuses in the box under the hood that are marked as being used for instrument panel illumination, and they all check out fine. It it is any help, the digital clock remains unfazed, and all the dials behind the dash read the correct stastistics. I own a 95 ti basic and can answer any question more in detail. I was wondering if maybe any of you could think of an obvious place to start looking? Or maybe point me in the way of some documentation, as don't have any books that outline that area of the car very well.

bennyboy
04-01-2007, 07:24 PM
hi there just joined site so new at all this.

i've just purchased a 318ti 95' and have the same problem as you no lights work at all on dash or centre control panel and no warning sound when lights are left on. have you managed to solve the problem? if so please let me know how cos i've been racking my brains for days now.:confused:

thanks

zboot
04-01-2007, 09:09 PM
have you'all checked the fuses for those? That'll be the first place I'd look if all the lights in a particular are were out.

bennyboy
04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
yeh i've checked fuses and there all o.k i've tried to check the connection behind the headlight pullout button but its hard to get at. I'm sure its a loose wire somewhere between the centre panel where the heating & blower switches are, the dials and the headlight button but i've no idea where to start looking or how to get behind there. also i wondered if the bulbs run on a circuit so if one bulb went it would break the circuit and stop them all working. any clues???? :confused:

gj@ga_us
10-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm in the same boat, no dash lights whatsoever. Fuses all good. Looks like I'll be troubleshooting with a VOM. Since someone posted an issue with the dimmer, I guess I'll try their first.

cooljess76
10-22-2007, 04:36 PM
HaHaHa, this is too funny. Same thing just happened to me yesterday. Actually three things decided to break one right after the other. First the heater knob binded up and the cable popped out of it's detent. Took the dash apart and found the yellow plastic clip had ripped out of the side of the hot air vent. I guess this is a common problem and BMW had a technical bulletin. As a fix they required the service departments to put a screw through the yellow plastic tab to hold it in place. Well, mine was already "fixed" and the screw ripped out of the vent, taking a chunk of plastic with it! So with nothing to screw the tab back into, I decided to use zipties and secured the cable to the steel dashboard support bar. The knob works great and I got heat again. So I start to put the dash back together and notice that the HVAC panel desn't light up. Everything else lights up, lighter, cluster, window switches etc. So I figure it must be the bulb. I take the bulb out and it looks fine. I check continuity of the bulb and get nothing? I push the bulb snug into it's holder and bam, I now have continuity! Turn the key on and shoot! Now nothing lights up! Check the fuses, all good. Basically everything on the dimmed circuit went out. I take the cluster out to remove the switch. I take the switch apart and begin testing it with the multi meter. I find that the resistor(spring) is broke, thus no continuity between the resistor and the contact point. A little dab of solder, and beep, I have continuity again! Plug the switch back in and nothing! Arrrg! So idecide to wait until tomorrow to get a new switch. I go to wrap everything up and crunch, the freakin window falls off track! Damn it!!! Southern California's on fire and ash is falling all over the place. Cars drive up and down my street and it looks like they're driving down a dirt road. So I can't leave my window down I had to fix it. I remove the door panel, 5 of the 10 clips came unglued from the door panel and were stuck in the door! F_ck! I sand them down remove the old glue and JBweld them back onto the door panel. First I glue the rear rubber track guide back into the metal track with shoe goo. Then I spend about an hour bending the regulator arms straight before I realize that the thing keeps coming off track when I slam the door because the front track is bent. Straighten the front track, clean and re grease the sliders, install the clips and all is good. The door panel clips on nice and snug and I look at my watch, 2:30 in the morning and my dash is ripped apart! I have a midterm today, so after class I guess I'll swing buy the stealership and buy a new switch. God I love this car!

cooljess76
10-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh yeah, I noticed it doesn't buzz anymore when I leave the headlights on and take the key out. And now when I leave the lights on and take the key out, only the driver's side tail and corner light stay on. I checked the fuses again and they're all intact. I'm pretty sure it's the switch.