PDA

View Full Version : MA supercharger

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Looks like I'm probably going to give it a go. I should have the kit in a couple weeks and I'll keep people posted about the product/experience. I figured this is the best way to find out if the product is good or not.

HuGo
02-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Looks like I'm probably going to give it a go. I should have the kit in a couple weeks and I'll keep people posted about the product/experience. I figured this is the best way to find out if the product is good or not.

why a new thread?? anyway, you got the stage 3?

EDIT: What year/miles is/does your car have

Tyler
02-08-2006, 01:56 AM
I figured this is the best way to find out if the product is good or not.

Yeah @ your expense. Hope it all goes well for you.

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 02:30 AM
they say 60 day guarentee, so if things aren't as expected, I'll return it. I'm hopeful that everything will be great and I'll save a bunch of $ over the DASC. I'm only going for the stage 1 kit because reliability and longevity are concerns for me. My ti is my daily driver and I don't need lots of HP nor do I want extra maintenence that comes with high boost. I really don't need the HP of the kit, but I'm sure I'll really like it.

The car it's going on is my 98 ti with just under 100k miles. I truely hope this won't reduce my target milage of 200k on the original engine.

I figured I'd start a new thread because the other one was getting cluttered and this can contain updates on my personal experiences with them. As I go I'll take lots of pics and write many details of the project. This way it'll prove to everyone whether MA is really serious about wanting our business and I'll bolt on around 50 HP in the process.

HuGo
02-08-2006, 11:27 AM
THX for the explination, u shoulda atleast gone stage 2 maybe?? Oh well, hopefully it all goes good and let me know. Im kinda interested in that 93HP gain so ill start saving up some money.

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 01:48 PM
THX for the explination, u shoulda atleast gone stage 2 maybe?? Oh well, hopefully it all goes good and let me know. Im kinda interested in that 93HP gain so ill start saving up some money.

maybe I should have gone to stage 2, but for now stage 1 seems the smartest to me. I can always upgrade later if I change my mind. I plan to take some videos of my speedo showing acceleration before and after the install as well as lots of pics from the time I open the box until the car is working 100% I was thinking that a 3rd gear acceleration from 25 to 65 should be a good guage of having more HP. If people want to see other videos, just ask. I'm not going to go out and do 120 on the highway though...

I still haven't committed to this, MA is sending me a copy of the installation manual and assuming everything seems legit, I'll send them $. I should have the manual tonight.

HuGo
02-08-2006, 01:53 PM
maybe I should have gone to stage 2, but for now stage 1 seems the smartest to me. I can always upgrade later if I change my mind. I plan to take some videos of my speedo showing acceleration before and after the install as well as lots of pics from the time I open the box until the car is working 100% I was thinking that a 3rd gear acceleration from 25 to 65 should be a good guage of having more HP. If people want to see other videos, just ask. I'm not going to go out and do 120 on the highway though...

I still haven't committed to this, MA is sending me a copy of the installation manual and assuming everything seems legit, I'll send them $. I should have the manual tonight.

what do you mean 3rd gear acceleration?? your saying u will be going 25 MPH in 3rd gear?? isnt that to freaking slow? I was thinking that you should focus the camera on the gauges from 1st gear to 5th gear, redlining every gear. thats what i wanna see.

stormos
02-08-2006, 02:11 PM
i can do 80 in 2nd gear in a mates 200sx ;)

and damn is it gooooooood!

aceyx
02-08-2006, 02:26 PM
what do you mean 3rd gear acceleration?? your saying u will be going 25 MPH in 3rd gear?? isnt that to freaking slow? I was thinking that you should focus the camera on the gauges from 1st gear to 5th gear, redlining every gear. thats what i wanna see.
He's trying to give a measure of acceleration gains.

Using a single gear that will run a wide spread of the range you normally run on the street, you get to see a single powerband, rather than just the peaks (as you would when shifting normally).

STOP with multiple question marks. Please.

HuGo
02-08-2006, 02:49 PM
He's trying to give a measure of acceleration gains.

Using a single gear that will run a wide spread of the range you normally run on the street, you get to see a single powerband, rather than just the peaks (as you would when shifting normally).

STOP with multiple question marks. Please.

sorry im just used to doing that, why does it bother u so much?

aceyx
02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
sorry im just used to doing that, why does it bother u so much?
I have no idea. :biggrin:

I guess with the absence of tone in typed messages, I read it like: Tellmetellme! And man, I know I used to bug my brother with that stuff.

Thanks, btw.

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM

I don't think I can redline it in 5th gear.:eek: 25 mph in 3rd is 2k rpm on my tach. I figured I could show the time difference in pulling from 2k to close to redline. With the supercharger that time should be greatly reduced. I'll have to check my camcorder to see if it'll put seconds or tenths of seconds on a timestamp so we can measure it easier. Also remember that a stage 3 kit would be a lot more effective than what I'm getting.

HuGo
02-08-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't think I can redline it in 5th gear.:eek: 25 mph in 3rd is 2k rpm on my tach. I figured I could show the time difference in pulling from 2k to close to redline. With the supercharger that time should be greatly reduced. I'll have to check my camcorder to see if it'll put seconds or tenths of seconds on a timestamp so we can measure it easier. Also remember that a stage 3 kit would be a lot more effective than what I'm getting.

i know that if im in 3rd at 2k rpms, it'll take a while to go back up at 4.5
Cuz when im 2nd in 4k rpms and go to 3rd, the rpms climb up faster.
Usually when i notice that when im 3rd and i slowed down the car doesnt go up fast like from coming from 2nd so then i just down shift to 2nd. So that i can go up to 3rd again. I hope you know what i mean.

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Usually when i notice that when im 3rd and i slowed down the car doesnt go up fast like from coming from 2nd so then i just down shift to 2nd. So that i can go up to 3rd again. I hope you know what i mean.

I know exactly what you mean. Your engine produces less HP at lower RPMs, so downshifting makes your car accelerate faster because you'll be in the power band of the engine. What I want to do is eliminate all shifting times and provide a concrete way of proving power increase without going to a dyno. I don't even know if there's a dyno in my town that I could get access to, so that's pretty much not an option for me. The video camera should be a crude way to estimate HP, sorta like a gtech would do.

DustenT
02-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Congrats on learning how to downshift. You sound like an experienced driver, if I were you I'd get a supercharger.

HuGo
02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Congrats on learning how to downshift. You sound like an experienced driver, if I were you I'd get a supercharger.

ok.....?

96cali
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM

^ ROFL!

aceyx
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
What I want to do is eliminate all shifting times and provide a concrete way of proving power increase without going to a dyno. [. . .] The video camera should be a crude way to estimate HP, sorta like a gtech would do.
I get what you're saying, but you're kinda putting your foot in your mouth.

Isn't Asheville near the Dragon? There's gotta be a shop around you. If it's the Dyno time ($), I understand. Maybe you could work with MA to subsidize the dyno runs (since it'll help them sell their product, here especially, since we're probably the few who are serious about 4-bangers).

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I get what you're saying, but you're kinda putting your foot in your mouth.

Isn't Asheville near the Dragon? There's gotta be a shop around you. If it's the Dyno time ($), I understand. Maybe you could work with MA to subsidize the dyno runs (since it'll help them sell their product, here especially, since we're probably the few who are serious about 4-bangers).

there may be a shop around, I just have no clue who or where. The dragon is about a 2 hour drive from my house. How would I go about finding a dyno shop here? I know of some about 3 hours east of here that I may go to after the install is done, just can't justify going down there twice (once before and once after)

I wouldn't mind knowing how much rwhp I'm pushing...

HuGo
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
you know how the stage 3 is called "M3 killer" and says its 214 rwhp. What is it in Horse Power, not torque but hp??

DustenT
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
you know how the stage 3 is called "M3 killer" and says its 214 rwhp. What is it in Horse Power, not torque but hp??

OMG....

214 rwhp = 214 Rear Wheel Horse Power.

aceyx
02-08-2006, 04:25 PM
How would I go about finding a dyno shop here?
Phone book? Called a few folk and they say the closest would be Spartanburg or Charlotte.

Barnes & Reece has one, but it's for race motors only.

And DANG y'all got accents down there. :biggrin:

andyman7931
02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Phone book? Called a few folk and they say the closest would be Spartanburg or Charlotte.

Barnes & Reece has one, but it's for race motors only.

And DANG y'all got accents down there. :biggrin:

I ain't got no accent! I'm a transplant from Canada. I asked a couple people since posting here and I got the Charlotte answer as well. Spartanburg would be a better oprion, it's 1.25 hours away. If you get contact info, pass it my way. I did learn of a few engine dynos here in town, but that doesn't do me any good.

stormos
02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
OMG....

^^^^^^^^ You have GOT TO BE JOKING! ^^^^^^^^

aceyx
02-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I ain't got no accent! I'm a transplant from Canada.
Eh? :biggrin:

I'm sure people appreciate your being a guinea pig and trying to get a reasonably scientific verification of MA's claims. I'm not in the market myself for F/I, so my prodding is based on curiosity. In any event, thanks for doing this.

96cali
02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
OMG....

To his defense, maybe he means hp at the crank?

And what's up with no dynos down there in NASCAR land?:biggrin:

aceyx
02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
rwhp isn't a global term.

hp, bhp and whp are more widely used.

SlickmisterN
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
And what's up with no dynos down there in NASCAR land?:biggrin:

Yeah seriously! Around here alot of high schools even have performance dynos. God I loved H.S. autoshop.

REDIS
02-08-2006, 10:31 PM

Ha Haaaa, I agree with this so much it is killing me!

Tyler
02-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I ain't got no accent! I'm a transplant from Canada.

How's Terrence & Phillips doing?

DustenT
02-09-2006, 12:46 AM
How's Terrence & Phillips doing?

Another trashed thread? Amazing....

Correction: It's "How are Terrence & Phillip doing, eh?"

Tyler
02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Another trashed thread? Amazing....

Correction: It's "How are Terrence & Phillip doing, eh?"

I'm sorry it will never happen again. Let me smoke a Player Light and have a Kiefs beer and i'll correct myself shorty. Is that ok eh?

HuGo
02-09-2006, 01:36 AM
OMG....

i know rwhp is rear wheel, but i know theres 2 different HP, motor HP and at the wheels HP. I was talking about the motor.
Example..
BMW M3 = 333hp , 262 torque *im guessing torque is same as rwhp??* So see theres 2 different HPs, i want to know what the higher one is on that 214rwhp. I dont know this but whats Bhp??

AlaskaBlue
02-09-2006, 02:09 AM
i know rwhp is rear wheel, but i know theres 2 different HP, motor HP and at the wheels HP. I was talking about the motor.
Example..
BMW M3 = 333hp , 262 torque *im guessing torque is same as rwhp??* So see theres 2 different HPs, i want to know what the higher one is on that 214rwhp. I dont know this but whats Bhp??

333hp is based on on hp at the flywheel. It would have between a 10-20% loss by the time the power actually gets to the rear wheels. Torque is a different measure. The 262 ft lbs. of torque is also measured at the flywheel. At the wheels there would also be a 10-20% loss of torque at the rear wheels. Torque and horsepower are not the same thing. Search on google or yahoo to find a more detailed explination for yourself.

TiPerformance
02-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Example..

Torque is not the same as RWHP. Torque is a turning or twisting force, commonly measured in ft./lbs

Another way to measure HP and what most car makers go by now days is (CHP) Crank Horse Power

To answer your question about BHP, BHP is The measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump and other auxiliaries. The actual horsepower delivered to the driving wheels is less.

andyman7931
02-09-2006, 05:05 AM
http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

read this to learn about torque and hp

Midnight Autoworks
02-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Andy, Give me a call, I have an idea I think your gona like.
(954)-696-7333

HuGo
02-17-2006, 10:54 AM
so andy, you buying the kit???

andyman7931
02-17-2006, 11:03 AM
so andy, you buying the kit???

nope

HuGo
02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
nope

why what happen?

andyman7931
02-17-2006, 11:11 AM
why what happen?

I'm not confident enough to give them my $. They didn't have a "detailed and illustrated installation manual" as quoted here http://www.eatonm3.com/318_supercharger.htm

I've also found several inconsistancies in MA's stories. Compare this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470735&highlight=midnight to our threads on the similar topics.

I decided that I'd be better off building my own kit than buying that one from them. For now I'm wainting to see what the new guys are doing (SEAM)

HuGo
02-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm not confident enough to give them my $. They didn't have a "detailed and illustrated installation manual" as quoted here http://www.eatonm3.com/318_supercharger.htm

I've also found several inconsistancies in MA's stories. Compare this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470735&highlight=midnight to our threads on the similar topics.

I decided that I'd be better off building my own kit than buying that one from them. For now I'm wainting to see what the new guys are doing (SEAM)

i thought they were gonna install for you? Oh well, im hoping SEAM is making an intercooler for their system as i gave them MO.

andyman7931
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
i thought they were gonna install for you? Oh well, im hoping SEAM is making an intercooler for their system as i gave them MO.

nah, I'd install myself. I didn't need the install manual at all, it was a test to see how complete and professional the product was. I've built a turbo setup for an m20 engine before, I'm sure an m44 supercharger isn't much harder. I also have a fear of letting anyone else work on my car. I've even had the oil changed and taken the car home and "checked" their work. (yes I'm extreme)

I talked to the SEAM guys more than once and they've got a good talk going on. I'm excited to see a product when they get one.

HuGo
02-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm not confident enough to give them my $.

wow. i read that whole thing. They were going at it sick. So yea, kinda scary to spend 3gs when something like that is going on.

I remembered L8 situation. It sucks so bad when your excited and ready to have a S/C put in your car, when it comes its really crap. I dont know, but i bet he was so impatient in getting a S/C that when he finally got it it was crap. I dont know if he even wants a s/c anymore.

L84THSKY
02-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm still interested in a supercharger, but probably not MA's system. I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. If they can't prove their system lives up to their claims, it ain't true.:cool:

I remembered L8 situation. It sucks so bad when your excited and ready to have a S/C put in your car, when it comes its really crap. I dont know, but i bet he was so impatient in getting a S/C that when he finally got it it was crap. I dont know if he even wants a s/c anymore.

96cali
02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Man I read all that too. I wouldn't touch either of their 1.9L products for a long time. On the other hand, Scrivner Engineering has a good vibe going and I'm hopeful for an alt to DASC.

Midnight Autoworks
02-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Man I read all that too. I wouldn't touch either of their 1.9L products for a long time. On the other hand, Scrivner Engineering has a good vibe going and I'm hopeful for an alt to DASC.

I know that there has been a lot of drama and dissapointments in the past

Midnight Autoworks is a new company
Joe works under me. He is in charge of design and mechanics,
Joe and I will both manufacture and the manifolds at a quality that is nothing less than the illustrated images on our website.
Although Joe does have a history of poor business ethics, I Gus Rodriguez
will be in charge of all client realtions.
I will guarantee no runarounds.
I will be meticulous in our manufacturing and in the individual needs of all our clients

HuGo
02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm still interested in a supercharger, but probably not MA's system. I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. If they can't prove their system lives up to their claims, it ain't true.:cool:

how come you didnt go with dasc?? You wanted to try something different?¿

L84THSKY
02-18-2006, 04:07 PM
The DASC seems complicated to install. My main concerns are:

1. Quality design, (DASC) has that.
2. Good price (DASC) ain't cheap.
3. Reliability, (DASC) has that.
4. A systen I can install with confidence, (DASC) maybe.

True, I did jump on the KO system, but I won't make that mistake again. And like alot of poeple are saying, stay away from KO, and ANYONE who was even remotely involved with them.

So I'm gonna sit back, and see what happens. This new twin screw design SEAM is developing sounds very promising. Atleast he is completing the system, before making any outragous claims.

how come you didnt go with dasc?? You wanted to try something different?¿

Midnight Autoworks
02-22-2006, 03:50 AM
I got these pictures back from one of our customers who just finished installing our stage 3 kit on his 318ti. He is in Kansas if any of you are local.
http://www.eatonm3.com/10.jpg
http://www.eatonm3.com/3.jpg
http://www.eatonm3.com/9.jpg
http://www.eatonm3.com/IMG_2237.JPG
http://www.eatonm3.com/IMG_2247.JPG

TiPerformance
02-22-2006, 07:33 AM
That looks good. That is Tu Quach's car isn't it. If so that is my old TI, I kinda recognize a few scrapes on the oil filter cap and some of the markings on the valve cover, partly the discoloration from applying Mother's aluminum polish on it while it was still hot, oops.

If that is Tu's car then I know for a fact that he has no ties to Midnight Auto Works, so his oppinions would really be helpful on this site.

DustenT
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Looks like he forgot to hook some stuff up. What happens to all the plugs that are laying in the engine bay unhooked (just look for green tape)? CEL? Why isn't the diagnostic port in place?

andyman7931
02-22-2006, 03:40 PM
also hope he grabbed the knife before driving away. Where is the water injection? what about the air filter?

I count at least 3 wires and 2 hoses that aren't plugged in.

TiPerformance
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
From the pics I doubt that he was completely done with the install.

andyman7931
02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
From the pics I doubt that he was completely done with the install.

right, but read the pic caption...

DustenT
02-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I've yet to see a completed install.

Midnight Autoworks
02-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Tu Quach, thats the guys name, He has his car at the paint shop getting his M-tech bumper painted and when he gets it back he said he would snap a few more of it complete , he said his camera battery died towards the end of the night. If any of you know him, invite him to join and post.

Joe