PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a fog light symbol in your dash?

96cali
02-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I just got an OEM fog light kit installed. I thought there would be a light or icon that lights up somewhere in the cluster. Anyone with factory fogs- do have any such thing? Wondering if they forgot to install it... :confused:

Platanos
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
hey, did you get the kit from the dealership. i was going to order it from them a few weeks ago. i will get the kit soon. just wondering what came in the kit and how much. if i remember they said it was $200 or so. did it come with wires and schematics?

aceyx
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
There should be a green symbol on the furthest left.

I had a factory kit installed (many years) after delivery and they put it in.

mischief
02-14-2006, 05:15 PM
the cluster might just need a bulb for the fog light

davep-uk
02-14-2006, 05:26 PM

spot on, there is a green light that turns on when you turn the fogs on. i'd guess that you are bulbless.

Tyler
02-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah the botton left on the cluster,it is a green light.

lkwd318ti
02-15-2006, 02:13 AM
You can't see it very well, but it's the green light on the bottom left.
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG1951.JPG

-Randy

318tiRedLeather
02-15-2006, 03:00 AM

+1

clex2
02-15-2006, 04:24 AM
The green light way to the left is for the front fogs. In Europe, the orange light next to it is for the rear fog light.

bmwracerchick
02-15-2006, 07:55 AM
I was going to go to the dealer to install factory fogs into my car, the kit was $200 (found an entire kit on procarparts for under $100 though) but they said it was like $30 pure hour for labor costs if not more and its a 5 hour job...I was like screw that. I would love to have it properly installed but my boyfriend said he would help me install them ourselves. How much did you pay to install yours into your car? I am very curious to see if they are trying to F** me over

mischief
02-15-2006, 07:58 AM
I was going to go to the dealer to install factory fogs into my car, the kit was $200 (found an entire kit on procarparts for under $100 though) but they said it was like $30 pure hour for labor costs if not more and its a 5 hour job...I was like screw that. I would love to have it properly installed but my boyfriend said he would help me install them ourselves. How much did you pay to install yours into your car? I am very curious to see if they are trying to F** me over

if you run into problems we are here to help you ou tand take some pics pls

clex2
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
bmwracerchick,

5 hours is about right and $30/hour is cheap compared to what the dealer would charge you. There is a lot of wiring involved, so it will take at least that much time. I agree that to pay 5 hours of labor is cost prohibitive, considering that the kit is so cheap. I did the install back in 1996, shortly after getting my first ti, so it's been a while. My memory is a little fuzzy, but you have to get into the fuse box, run wires thru the firewall, remove the instrument cluster........it's a lot of work, but doable if you (or BF) are at all the slightest bit mechanically inclined. I say go for it. I don't know why BMW didn't put the wiring harness in every ti, that way it would take like 10 minutes to put fogs in. You'll see that mouting the lights is the easy part.

stormos
02-15-2006, 05:21 PM
i hope i do, i can't be doing with yet ANOTHER repair/fix/mod....

96cali
02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I thought it was strange there was no cluster light- it's hard to tell when they're on really unless you look for them. His tech spent 6.5 hours (noob) and Brett spent an hour himself, but charged me a lot less. Think the total was $170. And installing the lights themselves was fun- I did that in the fall. Took an hour but an experienced person could do it in 30 minutes. I got the kit from a member for $100 shipped a couple years ago- great deal!

Thanks for the responses!

twomato
02-15-2006, 07:19 PM
I checked my car last night, the bulb is the first one as you look at the dash from left to right. Have you guys seen the yellowish fogs that are out there? Is that the Euro version? I kinda like 'em.

davep-uk
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I checked my car last night, the bulb is the first one as you look at the dash from left to right. Have you guys seen the yellowish fogs that are out there? Is that the Euro version? I kinda like 'em.

yeah, a lot of german cars have those yellow lights. they look good but are illegal over here.

J!m
02-15-2006, 07:58 PM
I think the yellow ones are for the French market, often refereed to as "French fogs"...

96cali
02-15-2006, 11:41 PM
just spoke to my mech, he still had the box of parts and sure enough the bulb was in there. At the same time he'll install bulbs above the fog and headlight switches so those icons light up too.

stormos
02-15-2006, 11:47 PM
yeah, a lot of german cars have those yellow lights. they look good but are illegal over here.

you sure dude? guy i know has them in his 16v clio and it always passes its mot....

clex2
02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I think yellow fog lights are legal. A previous generation of Lexus ES300 had yellow projector fog lamps. Yellow headlights are a different story.

twomato
02-16-2006, 05:15 PM
A couple of guys in my local BMW club have them (yellowish fogs) and they really look good. If I can find them, I'm switching over. I will upload a pic of my buddy's car in my gallery.

twomato
02-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Sorry. Could not load the photo. Must be my tech skills.

clex2
02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't know how easy it will be to find real yellow fogs, but an alternative is yellow tinted laminex protection film.

http://www.xpel.com/products/colored_headlamp.asp

twomato
02-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks. Your snorkel check went out Tuesday. Mark

twomato
02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I think I got it this time. (Yellow Lamin-X fogs) Yea, I learned something today. Old dog, new trick.

aceyx
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't know how easy it will be to find real yellow fogs, but an alternative is yellow tinted laminex protection film.
I think BavAuto or BMP used to carry the yellow lens Hella ones. Not cheap, but stockers aren't either.

The other route is to find selective-yellow H1 bulbs, about $27 for the set from Dan Stern.

twomato
02-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks. Do you have a website for those bulbs?

pdxmotorhead
02-17-2006, 06:32 AM
I thought the TI kits were unavailable?

Where can I find one?

Dave

clex2
02-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Dave,

I can't imagine that the fog light kits for the ti are NLA. Try the dealer to see if they have it. They are able to query th main warehouse in NJ and in Germany and can tell you how where and how many are left. I have been able to get every ti specific retrofit so far, including OBC, fogs, PDC. After knowing if it's available, you need to find a discount OEM vendor.

Tyler
02-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Foglights should really be yellow. It helps you see better in the fog compared to normal light bulbs. I know there are quite a few people on bf.c with french fogs. My dad had them on his saab and i liked them way better than the clear foglights on my saab.