PDA

View Full Version : 323ti suspension

mickti
02-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I am planing to do an m50 2.5 engine swap maybe this summer depending on how much time I have, I am going to fit a koni adjustable suspension kit for a 323ti but if I dont have time to do the conversion would the cars handling be affected if I fitted suspension designed for a 6 cylinder with the 4 cylinder engine still in place.

Thanks for any help

1996 328ti
02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Are you only doing shocks? Or springs too?
My guess is if you do springs the car will sit slightly higher.
But handling wise I don't think it will matter that much,

J!m
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
A suspension (springs and shocks) for an iron block six with the four in place will ride like a truck.

I was unable to change the front suspension right after doing my engine swap, and the front of my car dropped about 2 inches (and handled like a wet diaper) with the ti sport springs.

If it's just around town (no highway driving), it will be OK for a week or so. At speed the elevated nose could cause lift and poor handling at best; a wind gust could lighten the nose enough to send you off the road.

I suggest you wait, or change it right before the engine goes in. DO NOT drive it for any length of time.

1996 328ti
02-15-2006, 03:24 PM
A suspension (springs and shocks) for an iron block six with the four in place will ride like a truck.My bad.:eek:

andy
02-22-2006, 08:25 PM
If the Koni setup is adjustable, then you'll probably be able to adjust it to work just fine. I've raced my 318ti for years on an GC Coilover setup that I'd originally bought for my '97 M3, and the car handles fine.

What you can do is measure your ride heights before and after, and just keep the same basic proportion before suspension, after suspension, and after new engine.