PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about the ti.

Patrick
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi, guys. I'm getting ready to buy a ti. Hopefully from a fellow board member. I just have a few questions because I don't know very much about the 318ti.

Well, one of my main questions is, does the 318ti come with an LSD? I was looking through a classified ad here and one member listed a "stock LSD" as a feature on his car. If so, which 318ti's came with an LSD? The one I'm looking at buying is a 96 318ti with sport package. It's an automatic. Would this car have an LSD?

Also, are there bike racks on the market for these cars? When I buy my ti I'd like to throw a bike rack on the roof to transport my mountain bike. If there is one, can someone please provide a link?

I did a search trying to find these answers but I really didn't come up with anything. Thanks for your help guys.

Patrick

davep-uk
02-15-2006, 07:52 PM
hi patrick,

firstly, there are so many variations on what constitutes a stock Ti, there were a good few models and they all vary depending on if its a U.S car or a Euro car. i hope spmeone in the states answers you about the LSD cos i dont know a great deal about them,

secondly, there are loads of bike racks out there for the Ti. i know there was a thread a few days ago about a bike rack and Cali-ti had some good info. it might be worth sending him a PM and asking about the make.

but most of all, i think that you will find this site a great source of knowledge and a good place to make some likeminded friends.

have a good one,
Dave.

SDKmann
02-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Not sure about the LSD question but there are racks for the car if it dosnt have a cali top.

Patrick
02-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey thanks for the quick responses, guys. :)

Hopefully Cali-ti can chime in here and spit his knowledge about bike racks. :)

I can't wait to get rid of my M3 and get a 318ti, as crazy as that might sound. I'm in a hole by a decent amount of cash due to the M3 purchase and I'm not really sure that it's the car for me. I had a 328is before it, and the M3 really isn't that mugh higher up in aspets of performance so I feel like a just wasted a ton of money. I bought it on a whim. I just want a little car like the ti that'll give me superb gas mileage, fun to drive, and something that I can toss my mountain bike ontop of when heading to the trails.

I love the styling of the 318ti and it's going to be great to get to know you guys once I have my little ti parked in my garage. :D

aceyx
02-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Roof kits I know of: Thule and Saris (Yakima does not make a kit to fit the ti).

I can't comment on the Saris systems, but I have the Thule and it works well. The single key system is nice, as I have both bike trays and ski racks to go on top.

halek
02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I believe the only model that had a LSD as standard was the clubsport

96cali
02-15-2006, 10:55 PM
roof mount racks will work with a cali roof b/c the folds actually rise up starting at the back and stop behind the mount points of the roof rack. I went thru this about a year ago.

snwbrdrbum10
02-15-2006, 11:12 PM
ya, i have a thule..(Tooly)..roof rack system. You need the 318ti fit kit best bet to buy off ebay, then you have to buy the 50" bars, buy at a local sport store, unless you can find a good deal online, followed by whichever systems you'd like....snowboard rack, ski rack, bike rack, etc. it fits in the front, if you open your door and peel down the top moulding, there are two little "bolts" popping out on each side, the fit kit attaches and tightens to that. on the back, there are little arms that reach down to the quarter panel window and latches to that, you can see where it goes by the roof moulding, there is a little piece about 5-6" long that pops out and it goes in there!!! Good Luck.

Patrick
02-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Is there a BMW factory roof rack that will fit the 318ti?

halek
02-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Is there a BMW factory roof rack that will fit the 318ti?

sure is
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=CG72&mospid=47455&hg=82&fg=51

AnthonyK
02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Here is an alternative to a roof bike carrier:http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/exterior/trailer-hitch/da-lan-hitches

snwbrdrbum10
02-20-2006, 04:28 PM
scrwe that dude, that'd look like shi*

AlaskaBlue
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
I've got an OEM roof rack I would sell.

96cali
02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
scrwe that dude, that'd look like shi*

Uh, what would? The Dalan hitch is pretty hidden. no worse that our spare tire carrier.

mickd
02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
On US cars the limited slip was available as an option on '95 ti's, standard on '95 club sport. Later cars with traction control did not have a limited slip dif option.

Patrick
02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
What's the best aftermarket bike rack for the 318ti? The BMW one looks a little silly. I want one that will look nice and clean and it won't damage my car what so ever.

cali-ti
02-22-2006, 08:33 PM
you want it to ride on the top or on the rear hatch area?

campaiar
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
On US cars the limited slip was available as an option on '95 ti's, standard on '95 club sport. Later cars with traction control did not have a limited slip dif option.

I agree with mickd here. From my understanding the LSD option in a '95 is a rare find as well. (...and makes me love my TI even more. I should add that into my sig.)

I can tell you it makes driving on snow a TON OF FUN. Course, there isn't going to be too much snow for you to worry about in El Paso.

Patrick
02-23-2006, 02:39 AM
you want it to ride on the top or on the rear hatch area?

I want it to ride on the top.