PDA

View Full Version : M Coupe rear brakes

midwestTI
02-23-2006, 03:47 AM
i have a 1995 ti base car, and i'm interested in upgrading the rear rotors to vented, and was curious if the m coupe rear brakes were a direct bolt on like the 32X brakes up front.

i'm thinking about upgrading to an LSD soon, and keeping my ti output flanges and half shafts, and now i'm wondering if i can swap the rotors, calipers, and carriers like the upgrade with the front.

thanks in advance for your responses

DustenT
02-23-2006, 03:55 AM
i have a 1995 ti base car, and i'm interested in upgrading the rear rotors to vented, and was curious if the m coupe rear brakes were a direct bolt on like the 32X brakes up front.

i'm thinking about upgrading to an LSD soon, and keeping my ti output flanges and half shafts, and now i'm wondering if i can swap the rotors, calipers, and carriers like the upgrade with the front.

thanks in advance for your responses

The club sport 3.45 LSD is a direct bolt in.

I think you have to swap the entire sub frame to get the m coupe brakes.

cali-ti
02-23-2006, 04:58 AM
you might be able to use just the m-coupe trailing arms, but i don't know anyone who has done this. to my knowledge, people have always done it as a complete subframe swap.

318ti_Portugal
03-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I've also been thinking about M roadster/coupe rear brakes, since I already have the fronts. Unfortunately, I've been searching alot and I was unable to reach a conclusion...

Here is the M roadster rear brake setup:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CM91&mospid=48075&btnr=34_0567&hg=34&fg=10

From this, I will need the brake discs, pads, calipers and carriers.
Now, I don't know were is the rear carrier going to connect...

is it to part 1 of this diagram?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CM91&mospid=48075&btnr=33_0458&hg=33&fg=40
The flange hub.

If so, I will also need this hub correct?
Then, I believe this hub will go to the output shaft, wich is part 1 of this other diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CM91&mospid=48075&btnr=33_1105&hg=33&fg=25

If so, is this shaft different from my ti one?

Here's another diagram...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CM91&mospid=48075&btnr=33_0998&hg=33&fg=30
Will I need any part from this one to do the rear brake swap?

I hope we can all, together reach some conclusions about the truth of this swap... :)

regards!

Viper3812
03-29-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't know if I'm right or not, but unless you have M brakes up front I dont think having M brakes in the rear with either 318/325/328 brakes up front would be a good idea. Doesn't most of the braking come from up front. I also think you need the M coupe rear subframe to put the brakes on.

318ti_Portugal
03-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I already have the M brakes up front... :)
And they are great!

J!m
04-04-2006, 03:59 AM
I've said it once, and I'm saying it again:

This is why I swapped the entire rear sub frame assembly. There are just too many bits to bodge to make it work.

Lets look at the above posts for a moment.

Lets then look at the tons of posts on the diff/half shafts.

Again, swapping the entire assembly (and knowing everything fits and works) is the most economical from a monetary as well as time standpoint.

cali-ti
04-04-2006, 04:04 AM
I've said it once, and I'm saying it again:

This is why I swapped the entire rear sub frame assembly. There are just too many bits to bodge to make it work.

Lets look at the above posts for a moment.

Lets then look at the tons of posts on the diff/half shafts.

Again, swapping the entire assembly (and knowing everything fits and works) is the most economical from a monetary as well as time standpoint.
as long as you can find one :) i was just lucky enough to find a full setup at a reasonable price, shipped all the way from the east coast for less than $200! w00t! too bad i can't install it until i get 17" rims (and get everything cleaned up, painted or powdercoated, calipers rebuilt, etc etc).