PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with the Manual setting on Auto Tranny?

CaliDohBoy
02-24-2006, 05:23 AM
My wife owns the Bimmer (I drive the Civic... I know I know... :frown: ) but I drive it now and then and love to play with the A/M button that switches the car into a TipTronic like setting. I was just wondering if anyone else played with this, and if so, their opinions, etc.

1rstbmw!
02-24-2006, 05:31 AM
My wife owns the Bimmer (I drive the Civic... I know I know... :frown: ) but I drive it now and then and love to play with the A/M button that switches the car into a TipTronic like setting. I was just wondering if anyone else played with this, and if so, their opinions, etc.

I love that mode almost feels like a manual, I don't know how good it is on the tranny though.

durnadupa
02-24-2006, 05:37 AM
I used to try it out, it just felt like the car was gonna break whenever I tried... I decided that I would not put her through that much pain again, and never tried it after. I am sure there was something broken with it...

CirrusSR22
02-24-2006, 05:48 AM
I only use it when I'm going on the freeway/highway (especially cloverleafs, merging, passing, etc....). The the normal kickdown is just WAY too delayed and slow. It's a lot easier to drop gears.

CaliDohBoy
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I like to use it when I feel "sporty". :cool: I have noticed though that (especially in 1st) I have to throw it into second about a grand before redline cuz it doesn't shift right away. Sometimes it's a rough shift so I'm not sure I'm exactly workin it right.

Tell ya what, the day I bought her the BMW I was jealous... I zoomed up next to her in my 3 year old grocery getter Civic and she left me in the dust with her 8 year old Bimmer... It made me sad... So now I just drive the **** out of her Bimmer whenever I can! Plus... I got the tuning bug again. Thanks honey.

andyman7931
02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
because of the delay I find that it's quicker to leave the car in A mode under almost every driving situation. The only exception is when I'm on the interstate I'll switch to M to keep the kickdown from happening on hills or when I pass someone. I hate automatics...

Tyler
02-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Please use the search function this has been discussed a few times already.

This covers it a little.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8541&highlight=tiptronic+shifter