PDA

View Full Version : New here, and buying a 318ti (1996)

automaton
02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I just signed up here the other day after my wife talked me into looking at a local 318ti (base model) that's for sale. I ended up really liking it. I've found some excellent info, thanks for the great site.

My newbie question is:

While test driving the 318 my wife and I noticed a low frequency vibration in the rear of the vehicle when applying power. It only shows up when you accelerate or increase power to maintain speed on a hill. It increases in intensity as throttle is increased, but never really progresses beyond barely noticeable. In other words, I don't think it's a threat to our safety.

I noticed that there was a DIY on this site for replacing deteriorated rubber isolators on the driveshaft. i was wondering if that could be what i need to do on this one?

Further info about the 318:

124000 miles
no options, as far as i can tell (steel 15 inch rims :D )
no rust at all
runs and drives like a new car except the above mentioned problem, of course
super clean

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help, guys. Great site!

Dave

1996 328ti
02-25-2006, 01:40 PM
While test driving the 318 my wife and I noticed a low frequency vibration in the rear of the vehicle when applying power. It only shows up when you accelerate or increase power to maintain speed on a hill. It increases in intensity as throttle is increased, but never really progresses beyond barely noticeable. In other words, I don't think it's a threat to our safety.
Is it a whirring sound? That is how my diff sounded for a couple years unitl it finally went. Then again the stock ti LSD wasn't designed for a 2.8.

The guibo and centerload bearing can cause a noise but I would think it would not be from the rear. When my centerload bearing was bad it made kind of a scraping noise in reverse.

Could wheel bearings be possibly bad?
Also tires?

And welcome.

automaton
02-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not entirely certain about the tires. they have tons of tread and don't seems to be out of balance, but the owner did say it has sat for awhile (I wouldn't know how long).

It doesn't make any sound, but you can feel it. I've been in a car that had a really bad u-joint in the rear and it felt similar, but was much more pronounced. this is an almost unnoticeable sensation. in fact, I wasn't sure if i was just imagining it until my wife asked me what it was. It feels like it's an up-and-down motion, very slight, and only when you put power to the wheels.

I'll obviously look into it in-depth once i get the car, but i just figured it may be something someone has had experience with and they could point me in the right direction. My first priority is to inspect the driveshaft and all attachments and u-joints in the drivetrain.

I'm really kind of excited to be getting this car. I've wanted a BMW for a long time and have never gotten around to buying one.

1996 328ti
02-25-2006, 03:04 PM
It does sound like it could be a torn flex disk then.
I guess if tires had a flat spot you'd be hearing a thump, thump, thump.
I get that with my summer tires.

Good luck with the car.
The ti got me hooked on BMWs.

cali-ti
02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
welcome! sounds like a real nice car. definitely get in there and inspect the guibo. i'm in the process of replacing mine now (along with the center bearing). it's not the easiest thing i've ever done and i hope to add some tips to the KB article for those who wish to do it.

automaton
03-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Just to update:

We picked up the car last week. I stil havn't gotten the car up on the ramps, but I should get the chance tomorrow.

I've been tooling around in it all week and I really like it. I thought it was going to remind me of my old 1991 Nissan Sentra Se-R (probably my most fondly remembered car), but it really isn't anything like it. Much heavier feeling. Which I consider a good thing, since my pregnant wife will most likely be the primary driver. It feels very solid and buttoned down. Safe.

It's not, by any means, a rocket, but I love how it just feels "right" while driving. It is a little jittery over the choppy bumps, though.

As far as I can tell, the car has 10 speakers (they look stock). It has an aftermarket stereo. I found what appears to be a blank plate for the stereo in the glove box... Is that typical? Is this "faceplate" something besides a stereo blank?

The car needs a new thermostat. I have one ordered and will be installing it as soon as it gets here.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, for those that care. LOL