PDA

View Full Version : i pretty much just hot wired my own car

Platanos
02-25-2006, 05:54 PM
well, not hot wired but kind of....i was leaving the barber shop when i get in my car insert the key and it doesn't budge. i try to wiggle it for a few minutes before i scream &$%^*. after calming down, i laugh. some of you know i had the problem with the lock cylinder before...i just kept spinning. so now its the total opposite.

i wasn't gonna let this beat me. i used one of my keys and removed the plastic screw thats under the steering column. i remove the covering, and expose the ignition switch. i use a handy pair of tweezers thats on my key chain to remove the two set screws that hold the switch. so now i have the switch in my hand. i stick a key in the switch, and turn it. the car starts!!! i try to put the car in reverse and nothing. since the key wouldn't turn the car wouldn't disengage park. i scream &%$%^ again. i go inside the barber shop and ask if they have needle nose pliers. i'm in luck. i go back out and use the pliers to turn the metal nipple that would normally turn the ignition switch over. it disengages park and i drive home with the keys in the passenger seat.

now, i know i just told everyone how to steal your own car. but if this happens to you, you can get it started.

i just replaced the lock cylinder (myself) like a month ago. it wasn't cheap. but, i feel like what if this keeps happening. maybe i should take it to the dealer or something. would they offer a warrenty on this? problems, problems

Platanos
02-25-2006, 06:28 PM
i was thinking.....what purpose does the watchdog system (ews) serve if i just started my car and my BMW key was nowhere near the ignition cylinder? whats with BMW saying these parts have to be coded from the factory?

cali-ti
02-25-2006, 06:44 PM
that's a damn good question ...

SDKmann
02-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Sounds like that was pretty easy. Thats not very good if your worried about having your car stolen. I guess that this means that if I need some spare parts for my car I know what to do...

Platanos
02-25-2006, 07:18 PM
i just tried it again, this time it wouldnt start without the key in the ignition cylinder....i dont know. i am frustrated.

SlickmisterN
02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Well keep in mind that the car was unlocked with the normal key. Correct? You just manually forced the car to start by "hot wiring" a disengaged pretection system?

Platanos
02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
i guess. i've been driving around all day. the key does need to be in the ignition initially, but can be taken out after its started. all i'm doing now is putting the key in, and using another key to turn over the ignition switch. its feels very ghetto.

so what should i do? go through the trouble of replacing the lock cylinder and housing or just take it to the stealership? what do you think?